Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
No Safari Over VGA?

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/09/real...ith-an-ipad-keynote-and-vga-connec/#continued

Tuaw has a nice article on making presentation via VGA. What I find disappointing is that Safari won't display. I've been planning to use Keynote and Safari for an orientation program. Looks like I'll stick with my MBP for that purpose and hope I can at least run my Mac via the iPad. Maybe that will be better as I won't be tethered to the A/V kiosk.

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
Hi Guys,

I don't know if someone mentioned this before but if you watch the iPad launch video of Steve Jobs' presentation it sure looked like he was mirroring his screen during the presentation.......I think that is why so many of us believed that the iPad WOULD be functioning the same way in are hands.

Sooooo either Steve and crew orchestrated a hoax by simulating a screen mirror functionality (which I do not believe) OR that functionality IS available and will be part of an OS upgrade in the future. I know, I know...if that were true why not just make the mirror capability immediately available? Who knows, but go back and watch Jobs use the iPad on stage.

I tried to use mine today with little luck. I hooked it up to a digital projector. I have successfully used this projector with my MACBook Air in the past. When I plugged in my iPad and turned it on the projector showed NO sign of recognizing my iPad. I opened Keynote to my slide presentation, still NO response. I re-checked the cable, still NO response. I exited Keynote; HOWEVER, I don't believe that I ever tried the full screen presentation mode so it may have worked. I will Try it again.

I then tried to play some movies. I had movies I ripped as well as iTunes downloaded movies. I first tried a movie I ripped.....amazingly the projector recognized something was attached for the first time and started playing the movie! Then I tried The Matrix (downloaded from iTunes). The projector would ONLY show a still from the movie and a message appeared on my iPad screen stating

"This machine is not authorized to play this content"

When I disconnected the cable the movie was able to play on my iPad....reconnect the VGA....the movie froze and the message reappeared. Anyone else have this issue??

Thanks

Joe

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Man, there should be a mode to simply mirror the screen.

I thought that's how it was going to function but I'm sadly mistaken. :(
I'll just wait for an aftermarket cable for $10 or less.

arcangel6

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Wisconsin
I am hopeful that an OS update will add the functionality at SOME point. If one could TRULY use the device as Jobs did thru a digital projector....wow!

Joe

I thought that's how it was going to function but I'm sadly mistaken. :(
I'll just wait for an aftermarket cable for $10 or less.

gibjer

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2003
I was very disappointed to find out the limitations of the VGA adapter, I was hoping to cancel my cable with this.

I guess I should have gotten a MacMini instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.