Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which do you use most at home

• Ipad

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Ipad mini

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • Notebook

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I've heard many people prefer using ipad at home to notebook and I'm interested to know which you prefer and why? Is it a mini or full sized ipad? I'd imagine the minis light enough to just pick up and start using but the ipads a bit heavier and I'd imagine most people put it down or lean it against something to use it, in which case personally, I'd prefer a notebook. What do you think?

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I use both a notebook and my iPad extensively, and have a fairly clear division of labour between them, so often I'll use them side by side. If a go away for a day or two, I'll usually bring the iPad rather than the notebook, due to combination of longer battery life/ 3G connection and stylus input.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I got an iPad 4 to get rid of my MacBook Air, been using it for a few days now and I haven't been using my MacBook much at all (except when I was charging the iPad). I do have a windows gaming rig to use for games and a HTPC to use for storage.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
I got an iPad mini two weeks ago,but still found myself using Air-found it a lot more comfortable with the 13" screen and keyboard,mini was just lying around unused-ended up returning it.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Full size iPad is lighter, brighter - retina screen and can do most of the things that notebooks can do in a much more pleasant way. I use the Logitech Ultra thin keyboard when I feel the need to write things.

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
The mini is a bed and couch companion. It's so easy to pick it up and start doing something.

My MBP still is used extensively, but for heavy writing and coding. Senior college stuff.

On the other hand, iPad mini is all I use back at home. So it really is only a matter of what you need it for. I wouldn't survive a day without my MBP in college, in the other hand I would prefer to have a mini than a MBP if the only thing I did would be staying at home.

Really is only a matter of analyzing your needs correctly.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
The ipad sucks. My notebook died on me, and I had to use the ipad for everything and let me tell you, it sucked big time. The ipad is good for certain things, but not for all things. I'd take a crappy computer over the ipad any day.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Do people keep their iPads on like an iPhone or turn it off when it's unused?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Always on. It lasts so long, so why not.

Does this make it easier to use? I always end up picking up my iphone or turning on the notebook. The ipad just sits there. Just because iphone is so light and if i wanted something bigger, notebook has a larger screen and is more powerful. Any advice?

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
I love using the ipad, but it sucks for certain things. Like right now, I want to disable popups and ads. Can't do it. The ads are so annoying! I keep ads for Hulu, google, and youtube, because they actually offer something, but not these annoying sites. And when I have to install a plugin, I can't do it. Man, I can't wait till I get a new computer.

S

syd430

I think this thread is going to be a function of those that need to get work done at home and those that don't/. Unless we are talking about which device we use for leisure?

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I use my Mini most of the time. My laptop very seldom (should just sell it) and my 3 yr. old PC for a few games that I still play. The Mini is for internet use, mail, FaceTime, internet talk radio, and ebooks mainly. My iPad 3 gets used occasionally if my battery goes dead on the Mini or my son uses it to Skype with his girlfriend. If I gave up playing games I could easily just go iPad only.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I use my iPad mini a lot when I'm around the house but use my laptop at home when I need to write code and do other homework.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I have a 2012 MBA 11" and iPad mini.

90% of the time at home the mini gets used.

Reddit is a much better experience with Alien Blue..

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Just got TexPad for my iPad 4 and damn it is working good. So now I can really say I do not need a laptop as even fixing my CV or writing upp something for the odd course will work on the pad.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
I can see tablets replacing notebooks. But not the ipad. It's way too restrictive. How can people deal with the limited access to files? You have to use Dropbox just for simple access, and even then, there's very little you can do with the files.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I can see tablets replacing notebooks. But not the ipad. It's way too restrictive. How can people deal with the limited access to files? You have to use Dropbox just for simple access, and even then, there's very little you can do with the files.

What file access are you talking about? I use FileBrowser to get access to my Skydrive, Dropbox and SMB disks on my media server all in one app. I can copy the files over between all of them or to my iPad and open them with another app.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Does this make it easier to use? I always end up picking up my iphone or turning on the notebook. The ipad just sits there. Just because iphone is so light and if i wanted something bigger, notebook has a larger screen and is more powerful. Any advice?

If you turn off the iPad when you aren't using it, then it takes a long time to boot up, making it much less likely that you will use it. Just put it to sleep when you aren't using it, it's not really meant to be turned off.

As for your prefering the notebook because it has a larger screen, and is more powerful, well, it really depends on what you use a computer for. About 90% of what I do with my iPad is to read -- news articles, forums, ebooks, etc. For that, the iPad is perfect because it is lighter and smaller than my notebook, and it doesn't have a keyboard, which is unnecessary when reading! If you don't spend much time just reading, or otherwise doing tasks that the iPad is better suited than a notebook, well, that just means you are one of the people who don't need/want an iPad, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I use a Windows PC at work, so my Apple products are for home leisure and hobby use. I use my MBP for editing photos with Aperture, creating music with Logic, ripping CDs and DVDs, and anything that requires heavy typing. I use my MBP maybe once per week. For web browsing, email, Facebook, calendaring, listening to music, etc., I use my iPad 4. I use it every day. So while my MBP is essential for certain tasks, I use my iPad much more.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Dude it depends on the work you do. Do NOT think you can get away with a lot of long written papers on an iPad. You will want the full size keyboard and text editing capabilities of Microsoft Office.

And don't expect Office to be released on an iPad now that Microsoft has the Surface to push.

raggdoll

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Toronto GTA
Two different devices, the limited mobile OS of my iPad 4 is too restricted to do anything but the most basic tasks. My MBPr is far more useful.

I agree. The iPad is nice to have, but my MBP is a have to have :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.