Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How long does it take you to load the listed YouTube video?

• Less than one minute

Votes: 18 72.0%
  • Two to three minutes

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Four to five minutes

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Six to seven minutes

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Eight minutes or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
To test your iPad WiFi speed open this video on your iPad in YouTube.
Once it has fully buffered (loaded) make note of how long it took and then vote in the poll.

The video is in SD (the only option) and goes for 2:33.

mbell75

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
1 min 34 seconds to fully load that UP video.

Just did it again and it downloaded in 1 min 6 secs this time

Dr Gonzo

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
You can't use Youtube as a benchmark because the videos utilize different servers, etc. The video in question took under 20 sec to buffer on my iPad.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
You can't use Youtube as a benchmark because the videos utilize different servers, etc. The video in question took under 20 sec to buffer on my iPad.

Not only that but people have different ISPs with different speeds as well as ping.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
This test is based on everyones network connection. This a moving variable that causes you to have inconsistent quantatitave values to lead to a justifiable conclusion.

In other words.......FAIL

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
on my imac i7 it stopped at 27sec

i am in japan though, and i think that is why all video stutters out here for me. (american based videos that is)

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
To test your iPad WiFi speed open this video on your iPad in YouTube.
Once it has fully buffered (loaded) make note of how long it took and then vote in the poll.

The video is in SD (the only option) and goes for 2:33.

To really test your WIFI speed, use the Speedtest.net app. It's free and you can get it at the iTunes store. It will tell you what speed you are getting on your iPad across the Internet from your router - which is really what you want to know. I get 7 megabits on my original iPhone across the house, which is pretty good - never as much as 8, even from 3 feet away. My hardwired computer gets 20 megabits, which is about the ISP line spec.

The above "test" might tell you a couple of things, but there are so many variables, it isn't really a "test" of your iPad WIFI.

Xtremelabs has an iPhone app as well for iPhone that should work on the iPad. It gives me results that are slower than Speedtest.net (other people get higher results). I'm not sure why. But regardless, you could find a lower-end network speed by using the two for comparison.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
To really test your WIFI speed, use the Speedtest.net app. It's free and you can get it at the iTunes store. It will tell you what speed you are getting on your iPad across the Internet from your router - which is really what you want to know. I get 7 megabits on my original iPhone across the house, which is pretty good - never as much as 8, even from 3 feet away. My hardwired computer gets 20 megabits, which is about the ISP line spec.

The above "test" might tell you a couple of things, but there are so many variables, it isn't really a "test" of your iPad WIFI.

Xtremelabs has an iPhone app as well for iPhone that should work on the iPad. It gives me results that are slower than Speedtest.net (other people get higher results). I'm not sure why. But regardless, you could find a lower-end network speed by using the two for comparison.

I ran that, DL speed is what I'd expect but the upload speed was even faster which is weird.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
My benchmark broken :( It didn't occur to me that YouTube uses different servers and thus is not a good benchmark.

Perhaps Apple.com is my suitable for my next one lol.

I get 1.5MB/s which is roughly ~12MBPS (megabits) on my iPhone, but the speed of the iPhone is never that.
Not only that but people have different ISPs with different speeds as well as ping.
I am aware of that, I'm looking to see if any or multiple people get 5-6+ minutes. I'm finding the general speed, even though everyone does have different internet speeds.
This test is based on everyones network connection. This a moving variable that causes you to have inconsistent quantatitave values to lead to a justifiable conclusion.

In other words.......FAIL
I am aware of that...

kirchnrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Don't know if it is a fact, but keep hearing that the YouTube app plays video at the highest quality. I have crap DSL and would LOVE to choose the video quality through the app. Maybe a future update? Probably not since most people don't have crap phone companies like Embarq that say living 2 miles from downtown is too far away to push a DSL signal. :mad:

Sorry, that bitch session needs to be in another forum...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.