Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul-Brooks8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2010
I live in a village outside Winchester in Hampshire, UK and have an iMac connected via WiFi to a Netgear router. We live in a normal 15 year old, brick-built, two storey detached house.
The Mac is upstairs and the router is downstairs in a study, as it has my wife's PC plugged into it via cable. The iMac has had intermittent problems getting and keeping the web connection over the last months - but they seem to have gone away recently The Netgear router is a DG 834N, is about 2-3 years old and has had the latest firmware installed (V1.02.15).
I now have an iPad, which refuses to connect to the Netgear router unless I sit next to it - and then the connection is lost when I move even into another room downstairs. It then will not reconnect unless I go back into the study with the router in it. I have had some advice about channel selection on the router and have ensured that the iPad is set up OK. The iPad will not connect when I sit next to the iMac upstairs - the latter happily receiving the router's signal. The iPad connects immediately to the Apple router in the Apple shop in Southampton - but I have not experimented with gradually moving away from the shop's router yet.
Does it sound as if my Netgear router is not powerful enough (however that is measured?) and should be replaced? If that is likely, which router gives the best range and power please in my circumstances?
Many thanks for any help available.
Paul B

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
It could be one of two things really.
The iPad has a fault - the way to check that is take it somewhere, pub or a friends with an Internet connection and see if the same problem happens there.

Otherwise it probably is the router. Do you know what type of signal it used 802.11g or 802.11n or even something else. Check the router is compatible with your iPad. Check the routers firmware doesn't need updating too. You can pick up new wireless n routers pretty cheap now. That's the latest form of wireless router. And will work with you iMac too. The signal with a N router is much stronger. Covers a much bigger area, thus, should improve signal all over your house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.