iPad1 upgrade to IOS5 highly unstable

Discussion in 'iPad' started by siddiki, Oct 19, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 19, 2011
    For some reason, my iPad has become very unstable since upgrading to ios5. Just while surfing the web (Mac rumors forum), in the last 10 minutes, safari has shut down 5 times. Been doing a lot of that lately, regardless of which website I am on. Anyone else seeing this?
  2. macrumors demi-god

Apr 2, 2004
    Yes I've noticed Safari is more unstable since the update too. I have never had it crash on me before.
  3. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    Just asking... have you tried to power the iPad down and then reboot? That usually fixes wonky apps. If that doesn't work I'd try a restore. Safari should not be unstable unless you are going to poorly coded sites or bad java scripts.
  4. macrumors regular

Jun 17, 2010
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    Safari is definitely less stable for me since iOS5 on my iPad 1. But it is also noticably faster so I can live with the tradeoff. I'd say it crashes (closes) on average maybe once per hour of web browsing. Before iOS5 I would guess it was once per 100 hours. I have not changed which sites that I am browsing.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    I soent an hour with a Genious yesterday for the very same problem.

iPad 1 + iOS 5 equals lots of sudden quits and crashes.

I have rebooted, restored, set up as new to no avail.

Here si what we did last night.

Put the iPad in DFU mode and erase all.

Set up iPad and restore from pre-iOS5 back up.

So far (12 hours) no crashes or quits for me, and that is a good stretch as it was quitting every 30 seconds before this.

The genious said some aspect of the firmware or underlying os must have become corrupted.

But that seems to be working for me. I will know more when I get home and can use it more.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Nov 1, 2009
    Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
    I've had an issue on another website whereby occasionally I type in the text box, and safari shuts down. Cannot replicate on other websites, and I've already restored again.
  7. macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2010
    My iPad 1 safari also crashes once an hour it seems.
    And my iPad 2 has weird safari glitches too. Sometimes going from portrait to landscape, web pages stay in portait and there's that linen background on the right. I can't zoom in or anything.
    Flipping it back and forth fixes it then there's a flashing line, like the web page is trying to render.
    Closing safari and re-opening it leaves a black line across the page. It's annoying.
  8. macrumors member

Sep 1, 2006
    The Mile High Bovine Metropolis
    Same here

I've tried several things (full reboot, private browsing, etc) with only temporary improvements. Safari and web enriched apps ( Editions, Flipbook, etc) seem to crash frequently. I never experienced anything like this before the iOS 5 update.
  9. macrumors 6502a

May 5, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    I was also getting crashes and ended up restoring the iPad. So far it seems to have helped...but it definitely wasn't stable previously.
  10. macrumors 68030

May 3, 2010
    We still have 2 iPad 1's in the family. Rock-steady on iOS5 and no performance issues, so obviously something else is at play.
  11. macrumors newbie

Oct 22, 2011
    I had the same issues but EVERY app would crash within 30 seconds after launching. Restore from backup didn't work, so I did a full restore WITHOUT the backup (set up as new iPad). Its a pain, but everything SEEMS to be fine now... (crossed fingers)