Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Penny's Geek

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I know iPad 2 cases have been discussed ad-nauseum on several threads but instead of spending the hours going through them one by one, I thought I'd just ask my question here.

I'm looking for an iPad 2 case that has a BUILT IN screen protector. I've been looking at reviews for dozens of iPad 2 cases on YouTube, but NONE so far as I have found yet have this feature. From what I can tell, in the space where the iPad 2 slides or fits into, ALL simply have a space there with which you can fit your fingers through. Has no one even thought to ADD a built in screen protector there or is it that I just haven't found it yet?

What concerns me is most of these cases are around $20-$30 by themselves and a GOOD screen protector costs just about as much. Why should I have to pay separately for both if a case can have both?

FYI: Mine is the BLACK 32GB iPad 2

Thanks.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Has no one even thought to ADD a built in screen protector there or is it that I just haven't found it yet?
They have. However, you apparently haven't thought of the fact that a built-in screen protector will allow grit in and cause scratches. Using a separate screen protector (that attaches with adhesive as they all do) will not have such problems.

What concerns me is most of these cases are around $20-$30 by themselves and a GOOD screen protector costs just about as much. Why should I have to pay separately for both if a case can have both?
Why do you think both would cost as much as one? You're comparing apples to oranges.

Penny's Geek

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
They have. However, you apparently haven't thought of the fact that a built-in screen protector will allow grit in and cause scratches. Using a separate screen protector (that attaches with adhesive as they all do) will not have such problems.

Why do you think both would cost as much as one? You're comparing apples to oranges.

Because some do. The iVisor, for instance is $29.95 and it has rave reviews on Amazon. That's just as much as an iPad 2 case. I just wanted both in one. Apparently I will have to get them separate.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
I know iPad 2 cases have been discussed ad-nauseum on several threads but instead of spending the hours going through them one by one, I thought I'd just ask my question here.

I'm looking for an iPad 2 case that has a BUILT IN screen protector. I've been looking at reviews for dozens of iPad 2 cases on YouTube, but NONE so far as I have found yet have this feature. From what I can tell, in the space where the iPad 2 slides or fits into, ALL simply have a space there with which you can fit your fingers through. Has no one even thought to ADD a built in screen protector there or is it that I just haven't found it yet?

Thanks.

Why pay for a screen protector at all? I don't know of anyone personally that uses them (and I know a lot of people with iPads).

hawaiian29

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
Gumdrop case

go to gumdrop.com they have great cases with BUILT IN screen protectors and are also very very durable.

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
What's the usage for a screen protector on an ipad anyways?

Or well, i see some scenarios, but nothing that is affected if you for example have a smart cover that already covers the front when you don't use it.

I mean the ipad is not like an iphone where you put it in the pocket with keys etc all the time, putting an ipad along with other things that might scratch it might not be happening so often that it might not be needed to have a screen protector?

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Why pay for a screen protector at all? I don't know of anyone personally that uses them (and I know a lot of people with iPads).

What's the usage for a screen protector on an ipad anyways?

Or well, i see some scenarios, but nothing that is affected if you for example have a smart cover that already covers the front when you don't use it.

I mean the ipad is not like an iphone where you put it in the pocket with keys etc all the time, putting an ipad along with other things that might scratch it might not be happening so often that it might not be needed to have a screen protector?

Depending on the screen protector, you can gain more privacy with a privacy film, eliminate fingerpirnt, add some anti glare to reflect light, there lots of reason to use one. You can get them from many places for cheap, i say theyre fo great use. To each his own! :)

advisorbyday

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks.

I have been looking at the same thing. In addition to the gumdrop "drop case", you may also want to check out the Trident Kraken 2 case.

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
I have the Griffin Survivor and the Gumdrop Drop Tech cases (one on each of our 2 family iPads), both of which have integrated screen protectors. While I love the idea of the integrated screen protectors, you need to be aware that the protectors on both of these have a faint speckle to them, similar to, but not as bad as, an anti-glare screen protector (my HP laptop display screen has the exact same speckling). For the most part it's not all that noticeable, but when it catches the light in a certain way it casts a faint sheen or haze over the entire screen that does bother me quite a bit. In fact, it bothers me enough that I'm considering cutting the screen protector out of the Gumdrop and putting a Power Support protector on instead (which I used to have on my iPad but took off when I put the Gumdrop on).

One other thing to consider is that the protector on the Survivor is not, AFAIK, replaceable, whereas the one on the Gumdrop can be replaced for $15. That's a significant difference IMO because the protector on my Survivor has various scratches and blemishes on it, and the only way to get rid of those is to get an entirely new case or to cut it out and install a regular screen protector instead. With the gumdrop, once the screen protector gets too scratched up, it can simply be replaced without having to buy a whole new case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.