Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aviboy97

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have an iPad2 and recently I have had issues with a pop-up notification that will not go away, and prevents me from exiting the screen and even turning off the iPad.

The latest one was "joe@hotmail.com FaceTime unavailable". This pop-up notification would not go away when I hit the "cancel" button, nothing happened. When I tried to reboot the iPad, it would not let me. I pressed the home button and sleep button and in the back ground, the "slide to power off" button came up, but, since the FaceTime notification would not go away, I could not access it.

Has anyone else heard of this or know how I can fix it??

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Do what you did to try and restart it, only this time keep holding the buttons until you see the Apple logo.

cpesarchick

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
Same problem

Did you find a resolution?
I am at the unlock screen with a popup that will not respond.

cpesarchick

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
My Answer

I just did a restore on my iPad2 and then a restore from backup. Bummer, but was the only thing I could do.

strangiato

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
I had the same issue with a notification stuck on the screen and there is a simple fix.

You can force restart the iPad 2 by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button until the Apple logo appears. It took about 10 seconds for it to appear for me. I then powered it up again and the notification was gone. All of my apps and their contents remained.

I should also note that before doing this, I was able to sync the iPad and I uninstalled the application that triggered the notification. I don't think this helped the situation in any way, but I just wanted to note that.

I hope this helps someone else out there!

-tim

lawlessF104

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2018
i have a smilar problem to this but my home button is broken and i have a virtual one but it wont do a force quit, anyone know how i can get the ipad unlocked?
thanks

I had the same issue with a notification stuck on the screen and there is a simple fix.

You can force restart the iPad 2 by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button until the Apple logo appears. It took about 10 seconds for it to appear for me. I then powered it up again and the notification was gone. All of my apps and their contents remained.

I should also note that before doing this, I was able to sync the iPad and I uninstalled the application that triggered the notification. I don't think this helped the situation in any way, but I just wanted to note that.

I hope this helps someone else out there!

-tim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.