Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mulgagodfree

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
iPad hand & wrist pain

Yes. I've had exactly the pain you referred to.
I've been in bed for weeks recuperating from an injury, and using my iPad for more than 12 hours each day.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I don't use the 4 all day long but I probably use it as much as anyone. No wrist pain here. I do not hold it all the time when I use it, why should anyone????

----------

No but I do get a stiff neck after a while...

Lol. Got to remind myself on the positioning of the ipad so that does not happen. No need to keep bending my neck down too far.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
I use get that pain with my iPad2. Since only using my iPad Mini, the pain is gone.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The iPad, and all the other tablets simply aren't designed to be easy to hold and use. Look at any sci-fi show where a tablet was a prop and you never see them holding/tapping on them. The tablet is either set on a desk/table, or simply looked at when being held. You might see them talking to it.

The ease of holding is not why they do that. They aren't hauling them around in general because keeping it in a fixed position makes it easier for us viz guys to map in the display annie after filming.

The best advice comes from those that said mix up your positions. Wrists start to ache in part from the muscles trying to hold the device steady. If you change up positions, put it in your lap, go to the other hand or both etc you ease up on that one particular group of muscles. Plus you potentially change the angle of your head which is good for your neck etc.

And put the dang thing down from time to time. Even if just when you go to refill your coffee cup or take your morning poop etc (yeah I know guys that take their iPad with them during that and gross)

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
if you are holding your iPad a lot in 1 hand, perhaps an iPad Mini would be better suited for your needs.

when i had an iPad Mini (briefly) it was so easy to read magazines with just 1 hand which was nearly impossible with the iPad 3 without having to adjust at least once or twice per article. i couldn't deal with the lack of a Retina screen so i went back to an iPad 3 refurb, but i do still miss the light weight feel of the iPad Mini

give the Mini a try - it might be worth a shot.

As the doctor said, "If it hurts when you do that, don't do it" LOL

SgtP3pp3r

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2011
Honduras
I have this exact same pain. Lately it has become specially painful. I am a college professor and I use my iPad a lot during my lectures for my notes. When i'm at the podium this works wonderfully, but then as i step over to the whiteboard, i end up holding the iPad one handledly for extended periods of time. Some days this can be up to 3 or 4 hours, as i teach various classes. At first i hadnt pin pointed the reason, but now i notice the pain is particularly pressing while holding the iPad on my left hand.

Im gonna head over and see a Doctor about the pain, if anyone else does the same please report back. It might even turn out the iPad is not to blame.

justabrake

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
My Doctor is treating my left hand for Arthritis and said holding the ipad might have advanced or trigged the Arthritis ! I've never had any pain before in my hand before holding the ipad for a few months with 2-3 fingers in left hand, Im very sad I can't do this anymore.

I thought it was carpal tunnel and had the symtoms and almost alike ! Either way I'm in very bad pain still and can't take a shot of cortison because it might affect future treatments and no pain killers help this !

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I have this exact same pain. Lately it has become specially painful. I am a college professor and I use my iPad a lot during my lectures for my notes. When i'm at the podium this works wonderfully, but then as i step over to the whiteboard, i end up holding the iPad one handledly for extended periods of time. Some days this can be up to 3 or 4 hours, as i teach various classes. At first i hadnt pin pointed the reason, but now i notice the pain is particularly pressing while holding the iPad on my left hand.

Im gonna head over and see a Doctor about the pain, if anyone else does the same please report back. It might even turn out the iPad is not to blame.

Hold any sort of weight in a fixed position for 3-4 hours and your body will let you know how it feels. I'd try getting a mini or just using your phone instead.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

It probably is the iPad. Especially if you are holding it steady to read/write on it. Your muscles are constantly straining to hold it still and you can get a repetitive stress condition even from that if it happens enough

Dennyhunter

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2015
Ghold

I had repetitive strain injury in my wrist from using my iPad extensively for work. I didn't want to revert to using my laptop again so I sought out a number of solutions and I would like to share these with the forum so that members can possibly benefit from my findings as I did.

I looked at various 'strap' solutions and found these to be useful although didn't satisfy all of the positions that my hands and wrists need to function in as a multi tasking professional. I also wondered how long the elasticated straps would last before becoming too loose to offer the same control. I asked my physio for some alternatives and he suggested checking out a couple of other solutions... The first being 'isucker' which is a semi-hemispherical device that sucks onto the back of an iPad or any tablet with a smooth back casing. Although this offers the additional benefit of tilting the tablet when on a flat surface the product falls short in that it can only be used in certain conditions as a tablet holder for the hand as the user has to clutch the the device as one would a tennis ball and also makes your tablet chunky and 'anti-handbag'! It has to remain mainly underneath the tablet (e.i If I was using it at home for reading in bed, I can't lie on my back).

Next up was the G-Hold. It's a really simple device that slots between your first and middle finger - kind of like a flip-flop - so it leaves the sides of your fingers free and so easy to slip out again, unlike a strap. There is the added benefit of it folding flat onto the back of your tablet and saves vital space in your bag.
The mechanism is fully rotational through the base allowing you to actually spin your iPad to the position required. This is a very cool product and comes in clever packaging too!

I definitely felt a massive difference in my hand and wrist using the G-Hold option and it has the added appeal of not being an obvious 'medical device' as it looks pretty cool too.

http://g-hold.com

amporas

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
You could be getting Carpal Tunnel as well. As an artist, it is the bane of my existence. The best thing you can do to prevent more pain is to stretch your muscles out before and after each use. If you don't stretch, your body will be stiff and uncomfortable.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Carpal tunnel

Carpal tunnel, man. Happens to everyone that uses keyboards or similar activities for too long.

----------

Do you not have a strap on the back of the iPad? Holding anything in one hand for hours every day, provided you're not doing any exercises to combat repeated stress, is going to be bad for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.