iPad iPads from America

Discussion in 'iPad' started by grantite, Feb 11, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi guys i was looking into purchasing an ipad from America for my girlfriend. I was looking at getting a 1st generation 64gb + 3g now im guessing the 3g isnt going to work in australia. She has an iphone 4 and i was wondering if its possible to use her phone as a hotspot and connect through that 3g on her ipad. Some advise would really help as i want to order asap.

2. macrumors 6502a

1st gen 64gb 3G will work in aus

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay awesome, im guessing hotspot would work too? cos she might not want to pay an additional monthly if she can use her phone as a hotspot.

4. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Yes hotspot works fine as it uses wifi not 3G.

Are you sure you want a first gen tho?

5. macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

If she will be using her iPhone as a hotspot, the iPad won't need the 3G capabilities, so perhaps go for a wifi 2nd gen rather than a 1st gen with 3G.

6. macrumors G3

Check to see which 4G iPad is compatible otherwise you will just have 3G.

7. macrumors G3

charlituna

1. buying your girlfriend 3 year old tech that was the launch version is probably not a good way to keep a girlfriend. The 1st gens were huge as heck and a tad buggy. Look for at least a 2nd gen if not a 3rd

2. the cell data is unlocked and for most carriers is no contract. So if you can find a good price why not get a 3g and just use it when you need it. That way you aren't eating up data and battery from the phone. plus it can be a nice backup in case something happens to the phone and it cant be replaced right away

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay well we've gone 1 yr without a fight and we are both still in highschool, so i dont see us breaking up becuase i bought her a 1st generation ipad and any girl that would is really not going to last long either way. she is doing all high level subjects unlike me and i noticed a lot of apps that would help her with her subjects and the school recently implemented ipads to be used if owned. I found a first gen Ipad still in box and unused for $280, The generations above are out of my price range as i just got back from traveling indonesia. Looked up reviews on the ipad1s and seems to do everything i need except take photos however her 4s can do that without a problem. If im able to get a non contract deal then i will get the 3g so will be looking around:)

Already ordered and on its way so hope ive made the right decision.
    Thanks for your help :D