Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Apple is not dominating the market because of blocked sales. It's not like Galaxy Tabs were flying off the shelves. If they were Samsung and the tech blogs would be crowing about it like they are with the Galaxy S III and Nexus 7.

Quite honestly I think the Nexus 7 impacts Kindle Fire and other Android tablets more than the iPad.

The Galaxy tabs were pretty popular, they still are, the Note 10.1 will be a good sales hit.
I'm pretty sure they would impact Apple's market share (of which it is blocking competitors to keep) if they were on sale in more places.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
I'm still waiting to find out the impact an iPad Mini would have on the lower end tablet market. I wonder if it would completely dominate the entire marketshare of the lower end tablets or if it would just make a small impact in their market share.

It would be iPod 2.0. As the iPod reached critical mass they began rolling out models like the Nano and the shuffle to gobble to lower end of the market. Effectively closing the door on the majority of competitors. Microsoft is about to get "Zuned" again because they were so late to the party.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
We just visited my wife's grandpa who lives alone on his farm house (farm land sold to a corporation, but he owns the house still). My wife's grandma died in 2010 so he's kinda isolated out there on the farm with the exception of weekly trips to church. Only internet out there is Verizon CDMA 3G. He's had a Verizon USB stick for his PC at $40 per month for 250mb (Verizon was ripping him off). He never used the thing because he could not figure it out. His PC only got used for Solitaire.

While we were visiting him I told him and my mother-in-law that he should get an iPad 2 with WiFi+3G for $529. We cancelled his over-priced Verizon plan and ordered the iPad for him with next-day shipping. I spent some time and set him up on Facebook, iMessage, iCloud email and such (also restricted a few items like deleting apps to avoid accidents). I also set up some church-related apps so he could read the scriptures or the upcoming sunday school lesson. And made it so he and my mother-in-law could track each other's locations with "Find my Friends".

Now he is messaging the family pretty regularly. He uses the iPad at church. He is checking out pictures his niece, kids and grandkids post to Facebook. He is emailing as well and he has a constant 3G connection built into his iPad with no fussing around. What's more, his data plan only costs $20 per month for 1GB of data (4 times as much as his USB stick). So now he actually uses the data he pays for and he pays less for it.

He's an old guy who's not much on technology so I told him he had 14 days to return the iPad if he did not like it or could not figure it out. My mother-in-law went back to visit him yesterday but said there was no way he was going to return the iPad. I doubt we could pry it out of his hands. That is what is magical about the iPad and why it is selling so well -- it is powerful enough for experienced users but basic enough that anybody can use it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The Galaxy tabs were pretty popular, they still are, the Note 10.1 will be a good sales hit.
I'm pretty sure they would impact Apple's market share (of which it is blocking competitors to keep) if they were on sale in more places.

Believe that if you want. But I still think more people are buying the Nexus 7 than any other Android tablet. I don't see Apple blocking it. Or Transformer Prime for that matter.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Believe that if you want. But I still think more people are buying the Nexus 7 than any other Android tablet. I don't see Apple blocking it. Or Transformer Prime for that matter.

Only a matter of time and desire. The patents Apple used to get the One X banned apply to every Android device.

sunspot42

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2007
Well, well, well

There is no "Tablet Market". There's an iPad market. They're dominating this space the same way they dominated the mp3 player market. Any new entrants (like Micro$loth) will simply compete with the other also-rans (Android, RIM, etc.) for dwindling marketshare at the very low end, where there's absolutely no profit and insufficient per-device volume to make up for the low margins with massive numbers.

Worse for Micro$loth, every iPad sold cannibalizes the sale of a Windows PC or laptop. And with the iPad making gains in the enterprise space, it's only a matter of time before what happened to them in phones happens to them in desktop and laptop PCs as well.

Ballmer really ran that company into the ground. Sure, you can argue that Steve Jobs was a genius, but Apple would never have been able to make the kind of inroads it has against Microsoft if Bill Gates were still in the driver's seat up in Redmond.

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
What the guys at Microsoft don't seem to get is that the average user out there associates "Windows" with a myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, petty annoyances, etc. I think seeing that brand name attached to a phone summons all sorts of crazy scenarios in the minds of consumers that they want nothing to do with.

I am expecting the same Windows fail ("myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, petty annoyances, etc.") with Windows 8, especially with the supposed synchronization between Windows Desktops and Windows mobile devices. It will NOT "just work." That's where Apple wins again now with Mountain Lion. "BOOM!"

zzLZHzz

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Dear Microsoft Surface,

Please be awesome! :eek: There has been no real competition for iPad thus far. I'm counting on ya!

Sincerely,
Rafcio

only microsoft surface stand a chance against iPad but then again they are two different category of product.

iPad is mainly use for content consumption while surface allows creation as well.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I am expecting the same Windows fail ("myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, petty annoyances, etc.") with Windows 8, especially with the supposed synchronization between Windows Desktops and Windows mobile devices. It will NOT "just work." That's where Apple wins again now with Mountain Lion. "BOOM!"

You really should upgrade from Windows 3.1 sometime....

cotak

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
There are arguably better smart phones than the iPhone, but the iPad really still is in a class of its own here. I use mine for everything.

I hope not everything...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcIwXVKQjsQ

----------

So chipper about low cost ipad and "further solidify its leadership position" in the same breath.

Did it not occur to the people running macrumors that the majority of Apple's profit comes from high margins on it's device hardware and very little from anything else? Low cost and high margins don't typically mix even if you are Apple there's a limit at how much you can squeeze your suppliers.

What's worse. Entering this low cost segment is to compete against 2 other companies that sees their devices as a means to profit elsewhere. If your competitor is happy to make no money off their device sales and they aren't making crap anymore, where does it leave you who depends on the hardware revenue? In my mind if Tim Cook steers apple in that direction without revenue mitigation elsewhere, they should find themselves a new CEO.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Sigh, the problem with a $199 iPad is really very simple, it's the ENTIRE iPod range, because Apple will either have to drop the entire iPod range, or accept seriously damaging it's iPod sales.

Not that Apple will sell a $199 iPad, because Apple is in this business in order to make money. But don't worry about the iPod. I have an iPod, and when it breaks, I will buy a new one. Or use an iPhone instead. An iPad, whatever size, is _not_ going to replace my iPod.

Apple knows that iPod sales are going down, not because of iPads, but because the iPod is somehow pointless when you own an iPhone, and there are more and more people having iPhones. But why would Apple stop selling them? There is one small part at Foxconn making iPods. And if sales go further down, as they will, some of the people making them will switch to making iPhones, and the others will move into a smaller factory hall. As long as a few people buy them, there is absolutely no reason to stop making them. It's not as if there is any huge development cost going on.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
So chipper about low cost ipad and "further solidify its leadership position" in the same breath.

Did it not occur to the people running macrumors that the majority of Apple's profit comes from high margins on it's device hardware and very little from anything else? Low cost and high margins don't typically mix even if you are Apple there's a limit at how much you can squeeze your suppliers.

What's worse. Entering this low cost segment is to compete against 2 other companies that sees their devices as a means to profit elsewhere. If your competitor is happy to make no money off their device sales and they aren't making crap anymore, where does it leave you who depends on the hardware revenue? In my mind if Tim Cook steers apple in that direction without revenue mitigation elsewhere, they should find themselves a new CEO.

I think Apple has already experimented with that... offering an iPod Shuffle at just $49 while expecting more people to buy the iPod Touch at $199. (and they do... Apple said the iPod Touch represents 50% of all iPod sales)

As for tablets... could Apple profit from a $249 iPad Mini? Probably... more than any other OEM. (Kindle Fire is sold basically at cost... not sure about any others...)

But getting SOME profit is better than getting ZERO profit from people who don't have $400 to spend on a tablet.

I don't think it's a bad idea to cover all price points.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
I am expecting the same Windows fail ("myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, petty annoyances, etc.") with Windows 8, especially with the supposed synchronization between Windows Desktops and Windows mobile devices.

You really should upgrade from Windows 3.1 sometime....

What exactly about that statement made you think of Windows 3.1? Was it the myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, or was it the petty annoyances?

I'll hang up and take my answer off the air, Don.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Expected this with all the schools starting to adapt the iPad. With the launch of the Surface Tablet this number should drop a little bit by next year i would imagine.

Has anyone done a teardown on a Surface tablet with a BOM cost estimate? I swear they are loss leading on them.

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
What exactly about that statement made you think of Windows 3.1? Was it the myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, or was it the petty annoyances?

Your post is just ridiculous. Windows 7 is very solid. Most of us don't have any of the problems your are talking about.

You should try Windows 7 and you'll see how ignorant you are.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
My prediction for the prices of the soon to be announced Kindle Fire 2

Kindle Fire 2 (7" version): $199
Kindle Fire 2 (10" version): $299

Amazon: razor thin profit margin
Apple: high profit margin

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443295404577547070376968192.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
Apple-Amazon War Heats Up
Tech Giants Scramble to Take Rival Ground in Phones, Tablets and Apps

Apple biggest competitor in the near future might just be Amazon and not Samsung or Microsoft or Google

Look at the specs for the Nexus 7 (Kindle Fire 2 will have similar specs in my opinion)

1280x800 HD display (216 ppi)
1 GB RAM
Quad-core Tegra 3 processor

Last edited:

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN

Your post is just ridiculous. Windows 7 is very solid. Most of us don't have any of the problems your are talking about.

You should try Windows 7 and you'll see how ignorant you are.

Who is "ignorant" again? :confused:

I don't know about flocking. There will doubtless be buyers but I think a lot of Microsoft's woes in mobile come from this weird insistence on branding everything with the Windows name. What the guys at Microsoft don't seem to get is that the average user out there associates "Windows" with a myriad of headaches, crashes, viruses, lost files, petty annoyances, etc. I think seeing that brand name attached to a phone summons all sorts of crazy scenarios in the minds of consumers that they want nothing to do with.

Look at Microsoft's biggest success in the last decade--Xbox 360. It's basically a Windows PC optimized for games but not one mention of the Windows brand anywhere on it. I think MS needs to come to terms with the folly of putting Windows everywhere. It's just bad marketing.

Valve's Gabe Newell: Windows 8 a 'catastrophe,'
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/25/3186615/valve-gabe-newell-gaming-interface-windows-8-interview

"I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space."

Why am I not surprised?

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/23/us-amazon-mobile-idUSBRE86M0EY20120723

(Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O) plans to expand its mobile platform and broaden its offering of devices beyond e-readers and the Kindle Fire tablet, analysts, developers and retail partners said ahead of results next week from the world's largest Internet retailer.

Amazon is to introduce up to five or six tablet SKUs, or stock-keeping units, according Demos Parneros, president of U.S. Retail for Staples Inc (SPLS.O), which sells the Fire.

The tablets will be different sizes, including a 10-inch model, Parneros said. Amazon spokespeople declined to comment on the company's plans.

It's 99.99% confirmed now that Amazon will have a 10" Kindle Fire. The president of Staples Inc would have advance knowledge of such a product since Staples sell Amazon e-readers and tablet.

If the Kindle Fire 7" is priced at $199, I don't see why Amazon can't price the 10" version at $299.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Shipped not sold.

Exactly, Apple's Tablet Market Share could well be over 70% if you count the tablets actually in the hands of the consumers. Apple keeps about 4-6 week supply of iPads flowing, and they always get sold.

Other tablets get shipped, but not all are sold, period.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I've got a nexus 7 and iPad, I really don't know how people can call these iPad killers, they're in their own respective markets. The n7 is virtually half the screen real estate of the iPad and really feels more like a giant phone then a tablet, despite no cellular capabilities. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice device, but I wouldn't consider replacing a laptop with an n7, iPad more likely, but not the n7, it's too darn small. What's a little disconcerting (and kinda cool at the same time) is the n7 is packing 4x A9cores @ 1.3Ghz cs new iPad 2x 1Ghz cores... Of course when it comes to 3D rendering the iPad destroys it, but the iPad has a pretty screen to drive, the N7 feels a bit top heavy with not much to push on the android platform, asides from it running its apps in the less efficient dalvik VM instead of native C code.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Exactly, Apple's Tablet Market Share could well be over 70% if you count the tablets actually in the hands of the consumers. Apple keeps about 4-6 week supply of iPads flowing, and they always get sold.

Other tablets get shipped, but not all are sold, period.

Links to support that wild assertion?

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
The number iPads may be 68% of tablets Shipped, but the number of iPads in the hands of the consumers is very likely over 70%.

It's likely that over 90% of the actual usage of data (or minutes) on tablets are with iPads. This means that even though there may be close to 30% of non-iPads in consumers hands, but over 90% over tablet usage is by iPads! Obviously, this would indicate that iPads are more useful and/or more desirable to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.