ipfw, pipes and dummynets

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by andyduncan, May 29, 2003.

1. andyduncan macrumors regular

Jan 21, 2003
    I posted this question to omnigroups admin list, so sorry if anyone saw it twice.

I'm trying to use ipfw to create dummynet pipes so that I can do some rudimentary packet shaping. IE: throttle my roomate's kazaa connection down to a reasonable speed. I have found several tutorials on how to set this up. Not too hard. Problem is, it is looking like OSX (10.2.6 anyway) doesn't include the functionality. The man page for ipfw says it does, but even the included example command produces errors. in addition, there is no entry for dummynet(4) in the man pages.

Does Apple not include dummynet functionality? has anyone else run into this problem?
    thanks for the help
  2. andyduncan thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 21, 2003
    Here's the answer, in case anyone is searching for this in the future. As of 10.2.6 Apple does not in fact include Dummynet functionality in OS X, so the man pages are wrong. bummer.
  3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
  4. andyduncan thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 21, 2003
    Sweet! thanks. Theres another app called CaraFix that does the same thing, but I like the fact that the one you sent runs as a daemon.

Of course, I'd still prefer full dummynet capability... for instance i'd like to be able to control packet loss and latency. but this is much better than nothing.