Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erzeszut

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
how do u make custom ringtones with windows??

You need some software to edit the MP3/AAC files, to pick out the 30 seconds or less you want to use.

Once you do that, if the file is an AAC (.m4a extension) just rename it to .m4r and drag it back into iTunes.

If it is an MP3 file, put it in iTunes, convert it to AAC, drag the converted AAC file back out of iTunes, rename the extension as described above, then drag it back in.

Files have to be AAC, and they have to have the extension .m4r. And they have to be under 30 seconds.

Other people in this thread have reported that the ringtones have to have a unique name, not the same name as another song in your Library. I have not experienced that; most of my ringtones are named the same as the original files, and they work just fine.

erzeszut

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
yeh it would all be erased
wait till u get home
the update isnt that special anyways

Incorrect. Updating the firmware (assuming everything works correctly) does NOT wipe your iPhone.

Of course, if the update pukes in the middle, you may have to restore. But I didn't.

And the ability to add custom ringtones without paying Apple is huge for me. Been making ringtones all day. :rolleyes:

olegandbuster25

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
You need some software to edit the MP3/AAC files, to pick out the 30 seconds or less you want to use.

Once you do that, if the file is an AAC (.m4a extension) just rename it to .m4r and drag it back into iTunes.

If it is an MP3 file, put it in iTunes, convert it to AAC, drag the converted AAC file back out of iTunes, rename the extension as described above, then drag it back in.

Files have to be AAC, and they have to have the extension .m4r. And they have to be under 30 seconds.

Other people in this thread have reported that the ringtones have to have a unique name, not the same name as another song in your Library. I have not experienced that; most of my ringtones are named the same as the original files, and they work just fine.

thanks, that makes sense cuz it wont let me do it right now without cuting the songs to 30 sec, or less
now i just have to find a software to do that for me

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
i dont think there is garage band for windows, is there ?

allow me to quote myself:
iToner is not necessary now with 7.5 and 1.1.2 you can just rename mp4's to m4r and drag them to your library without needing itoner. I don't think mp3s will work but you can convert them with iTunes. You can even use the start and end tags before converting and make your ringtone that way by selecting a section that is less than 30 seconds.

aceducy

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
I'm a die-hard iPhone user, but I'm not upgrading anymore (including this piddlely release) unless I see real improvements in the iPhone usability department, and not left-over quasi-European features. Apple needs to step up already, been nearly 6 months since the initial release.

1) Sync my darn Outlook notes already. Treo used to.

2) Cut & Paste. Treo used to.

3) Games. Treo had these

4) SMS with everyline timestamped, and not wasting space with bubble pop-ups (so 12 year old-ish) Treo had this.

5) Video playlists where the videos keep playing by themselves one after another. Treo didn't have this, but my iPod30gVideo did.

6) LOUDER SPEAKERPHONE FOR US GEN-Xers THAT ARE NEARLY-DEAF ALREADY Treo had this.

7) Phone Recents improved with breakout of Missed, Made, Taken calls and timestamps on each one.

I love my iPhone, don't get me wrong, just want some basic improvements made to push my experience over the top.

Give that man a cigar. I mean, there can only be SO much in-fighting and bickering at Apple from the Success Prevention Team. Who could still possibly be with the company that fought these features?

This stuff is basic. Routine. Simple to fix. Problem is if Apple fixes it, then somebody over there is going to have to eat crow because it wasn't right to begin with. Put another way, your iPhone isn't being updated because of someone's (some individuals') ego.

Thus is the basic business premise that you (Steve Jobs) never hire your relatives - especially for design, production and engineering work

I can hear the conversation now when Steve's sister calls him and says: "YOU AZZHOLE - you fired my husband because he put those cute little bubbles on the SMS thingie - I want you to know those were MY ideas and that all the ladies at the social club came up with"!

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
You only need itunes to make ringtones

No other software needed.

I created an EASY step by step instruction site with photos for everyone to make ringtones

:)HERE:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.