Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I would say main reason for no horizontal keyboard is because it covers up too much of the screen and you wouldn't be able to see any text. That is the only holdback I see on that one...

It works fine with Safari! It really wouldn't be a problem and I think that it is PATHETIC that they didn't add that in the first update since typing was by far the biggest criticism of the phone even before it was released. I thought to myself then.... Oh... of course they will fix that in the first update since every critic in the world is ripping on the typing, BUT NOOOOO! STUPID :mad:

somberlaine

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Fairfax, VA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

why doesn't apple release this update thru iTunes from the get go?

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
There is hope for Apple after all.
iTONER WORKS!!!!!!!!!!There is hope for Apple after all.
iTONER WORKS!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I have a feeling that iToner (and maybe a few other popular apps) will have a chance to develop officially for the iPhone next year and maybe this is a way to unofficially endorse the "unofficial beta". Just guessing.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
I have a feeling that iToner (and maybe a few other popular apps) will have a chance to develop officially for the iPhone next year and maybe this is a way to unofficially endorse the "unofficial beta". Just guessing.
Nah, most of the record company's still have Apple by the balls when it comes to the ringtones...no way they would offer the ability to make your own through a 3rd party, labels want some of that cut.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Sounds like the touch may support calendar editing now too... I don't know since I don't have one, but that is what I saw on TUAW

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I'm in the PST - Pacific Northwest - not available yet in iTunes on my connection.

I'm in Central Time. I first tried updating from the linked file but it didn't work. I unplugged the phone and plugged it back in and itunes said the phone was in restore mode or something. Then started downloading 1.1.2 update. Maybe I just triggered it??

Sorry no Japanese. I only see English, French, German and Italian.

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Can someone with 1.1.2 please check to see if Japanese is one of the new languages supported now? I hope it's not only European languages as it's being released in Europe and not Japan yet.

The only languages are english, french, dutch and italian.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
International keyboards

English
English (UK)
French
German
Italian

also there is a an area to pick an "Asian font"
The two options are "Chinese and Japanese". After selecting one of these, the phone says "Setting Asian Font" and vibrates twice, and goes back to the homescreen

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
Nah, most of the record company's still have Apple by the balls when it comes to the ringtones...no way they would offer the ability to make your own through a 3rd party, labels want some of that cut.
You may be right but I think Apple has the upper hand with ATT and they can do what they like with apps, both in house and 3rd party. IMHO, keeping my fingers crossed.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
They have an option for chinese or japanese font... but I have no clue what that means...

Also, there is still the 2-3 second lag when opening SMS
:rolleyes:

e.m.

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
San Francisco
International keyboards
also there is a an area to pick an "Asian font"
The two options are "Chinese and Japanese". After selecting one of these, the phone says "Setting Asian Font" and vibrates twice, and goes back to the homescreen

:eek:

What's that mean? Does that mean I can type in Japanese? Because I don't mind the phone OS running in English at all. I just want to be able to type emails and google searches in Japanese.

I really hope that's the case.

r21hugo

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2007
San Diego, CA
speedy?

so when people say their phone or ipod touch are running faster, what does this mean? like with a lot of the applications running at the same time aka multitasking or while doing just one thing at a time?

pwalkin

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
1.1.2 Now has a Custom Ringtones Section

If you go to Settings/Sounds/Ringtones you will now see a Custom Ringtones section! I don't remember seeing that in 1.1.1.:)

Paul

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
It gave me an error and said it couldn't update the iPhone.

When Safari download's the update, it unzip's it automatically, so to turn it back into a zip file that iTunes could read, I had to manually re-zip it in the finder. I assume this is why it didn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.