Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebaker

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
Multiple Email Delete

Please! Jeez, a most basic feature still left out? I'd trade in just about all of these (with the possible exception of GPS) just for the ability to delete multiple emails.

Hello? McFly?

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
These features all looks great! I can't wait!

As for iChat... I think chatting is coming with 3rd party apps. Once the framework is in place, I can't imagine it's going to take too long before someone (probably Apple, and Yahoo) have chat clients for us.

Again... this is going to be a good MacWorld!

P.S. Someone commented about why does it take (Apple) so long for such simple features.... I would imagine that Apple has been playing it safe with their development and taking it slow on purpose to ensure that we have a good stable phone along the way. Plus, if you've ever been in development, just because the concept is simple does not mean the development is. :)

csimmons

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2002
Stuttgart, Germany
arrrh! forget all these insignificant little updates; when will we finally see something BIG

In every seemingly insignificant update lies a reason for someone to get the iPhone. The only reason I haven't gotten one yet was the lack of SMS to multiple recipients. That reason is now gone, so I'll be getting an iPhone shortly, or at least when the update is out.

BTW don't forget that with other cellphone makers, in order to get updates, bug fixes or new features you usually have to get a new phone. :rolleyes:

indiekiduk

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Glasgow, Scotland
In every seemingly insignificant update lies a reason for someone to get the iPhone. The only reason I haven't gotten one yet was the lack of SMS to multiple recipients. That reason is now gone, so I'll be getting an iPhone shortly, or at least when the update is out.

BTW don't forget that with other cellphone makers, in order to get updates, bug fixes or new features you usually have to get a new phone. :rolleyes:

get one. who cares about multiple sms.

Btw these photos are FAKE

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Why do I keep jailbreaking my phone? For VNsea! As I've said many times, Apple Remote Desktop is the killer app for the iPhone! At least with an SDK coming, we will see a legit VNC even if Apple doesn't step up.

Phelps

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
London
As others have said, the pictures look real to me. But let's avoid speculating too much, these features seem very viable for a future update to the iPhone software.

Oh and "Hi" everyone, i've been a reader for a while now, and thought i'd register!

:)

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I wonder; it seems way too much for a 1.1x upgrade- you don't suppose that this was an apple-internal only midway build, and the actual final update would be even more? Who knows- wishful thinking here. It does make some sense though- this adds far more than the 1.1 update did for the end user. It would certainly be worth one of those "look at how good this is" videos on the apple website, but a little underwhelming for macworld.

Thanks for the site- the gear live one wouldn't load for me. Now, when do you suppose they'll out the dutch language on the iphone?!?

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
As others have said, the pictures look real to me. But let's avoid speculating too much, these features seem very viable for a future update to the iPhone software.

Oh and "Hi" everyone, i've been a reader for a while now, and thought i'd register!

:)

Welcome to macrumors!

Sai Zelion

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
C'mon Apple!.... what is it going to take to give us poor iPhone users basic service such as MMS? The girlfriend sent me some pics she snapped from her phone at a party and I couldn't access them on my iPhone unless I went to ATT's website and typed in a id number and password for each picture. My co worker says to me " Hey why don't you have you're girlfriend send the pics to me as I can send and receive MMS messages on my 5 year old Razor!" So I did. And guess what, his 5 year old Razor is on the ATT network and includes a MMS/SMS plan included in the service. This is absolutely unacceptable for Apple / ATT to throw us under the bus on such basic services. Simply retarded.:mad:

Damn dude. I feel your frustration! That's sad and so damn true.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Everything comes in bits and pieces. I love the iPhone, but something (aliens?) made me wait until version 2.0

For me it was the lack of a good service provider. I just renewed my Sprint contract and I get unlimited EVDO for only $15, along with my current plan I pay $65 a month and that includes insurance which AT&T doesn't offer with the iPhone or much of their smartphones.

I would love to get the iPhone as my carry all media, web browsing device but Steve's fatal mistake of signing on with a mediocre cell company with missing plan features is making it hard for me and a few others to justify the iPhone.

Then the phone itself is still missing standard features that are on every phone in it's prices range.

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Reworded: You keep on paying Apple to bring a beta product up to a release product.

Other phone manufacturers keep on maintaining their phone software and producing firmware releases. All that is in the price of the phone.

Apple saying "your subscription pays for software development" is a crock of *****. iPhone uses should not at the moment be paying anything for iPhone software development ( for the reason above ).
On my Razor with Verizon the only firmware updates I recall is that they have further disabled the features on my phone!

mrowl

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Texas, USA
I ***** hate digg. There motto should be: "bringing sites crashing down every day"

If this was real, they could have easily done video.

fake.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
On my Razor with Verizon the only firmware updates I recall is that they have further disabled the features on my phone!

Haha, true that, true that. Gotta love Veizon. :rolleyes: I'd rather be on AT&T anyday. Too bad they don't have good rural coverage... :(

Sai Zelion

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
Refresh my memory please?

Reading all of these responses makes me look at things very closely regarding Apple. Here are some things that are very evident:

[1] the updates presented in 1.1.3 are simple updates that should NOT have taken this long.

[2] The 3G version of the iPhone is coming out in 2008

[3] Tons of Basic features like MMS, Note syncing and BASIC Apps like a To Do List and iChat are missing.

[4] Companies always think of life span growth of their product which means when they are in the meeting rooms drafting a new product, they always consider how far and how many features they can possibly bring to the table over a span of 10 years. Once they determine this, they plot a "SPOON FEEDING" course of (a) releasing small amounts of feature updates during the shelf life of the CURRENT VERSIONS of their product on the market and (b) and more significant updates with the release of NEW GENERATIONS of their product.

With all of that being said, Apple has definitely plotted a course for it's product. They have in mind tons of features and abilities they plan to unveil over time but here's how they plan to do it; Through Current Version Updates, and through Next Generation Upgrading.

Let's start with iPhone Gen 1. iPhone Gen 1 will have x amount of features and during it's shelf life, they will seed us with MINOR UPDATES to it's functionality. This is called current version updating where you seed small functionality updates only and nothing drastically different.

For iPhone Gen 2, Apple will introduce a FEW NEW FEATURES along with a FEW NEW APPS. This is called Generation upgrading. During this phase , the consumer will see a significant increase in functionality, features and applications and possibly a double release of a Casual iPhone (much like what we have now) and a Power User Version (with all of the functionality necessary to place it in the category of PDA because of the features presented).

This is approach is mandatory to ensure the consumer will have a JUSTIFIABLE REASON to purchase the next generation iPhone besides it's just being 3G. For this reason, they will not flood this version of the iPhone with tons of features, rather MORSELS.

They have accomplished their main goal that's to WET OUR APPETITES on the possibilities based on what Apple is capable of doing with the iPhone. They hype engine has been perfectly executed and they have the necessary excitement generated over this product so why would they waist that "HYPE" on introducing tons of new features for a Gen 1 release of the iPhone, when they can duplicate (if not triple) what they sold at launch of the Gen 1 iPhone? This hype, as always, will carry them into HUGE sales for the iPhone Gen 2 when they release it with all or damn near all of the features we've begged for including 3G abilities. That's just good 'ol product campaigning.

So everyone just sit back, don't expect much, and wait for iPhone Gen 2 to be released with a huge Keynote address to the media, and Jobs saying "remember how with the 1st Gen iPhone you could yada yada yada...? Well, now you can (sliding his had across the iPhone 2's surface) YADA YADA YADA as well (ROARS OF APPLAUSES FROM THE CROWD).... yes the iphone 2 will be able to YADA YADA YADA.... all while YADA YADA YADA'ING with your Mac Pro or Mac Book pro!"

it's sales and marketing folks, and you can't sale a product that has maxed out it's ability- that's why you spoon feed your consumers morsels of feature updates at a time so that you can ensure you can sale future generations/versions of your product. In the mean time I highly recommend anyone who's longing for big updates to Jailbreak your iPhone, get the features you are begging for and avoid any frustrations, or JUST WAIT FOR THE iPhone 2nd generation.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
So everyone just sit back, don't expect much, and wait for iPhone Gen 2 to be released with a huge Keynote address to the media, and Jobs saying "remember how with the 1st Gen iPhone you could yada yada yada...? Well, now you can (sliding his had across the iPhone 2's surface) YADA YADA YADA as well (ROARS OF APPLAUSES FROM THE CROWD).... yes the iphone 2 will be able to YADA YADA YADA.... all while YADA YADA YADA'ING with your Mac Pro or Mac Book pro!"

And those Apple fans not into the hype of the iPhone and AT&T will sit back and do whatever jobs is doing on stage with their Treos, Blackberries, HTCs, Samsungs, LGs, and various other smart devices that have been on the market for years. Too bad those phones don't have the sleek UI of the iPhone..... Oh well, we don't have the gloss but we do have the features.

cheunghy

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2006
Hong Kong
How about a 'Rotate' gesture for photos in addition to the zooming feature now present on the iPhones?

For example, a fixed finger as the center of rotation, and another sliding along the circumference?

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
I hope this is real but, that means we gotta go through the whole jailbreaking thing again. Downgrade to 1.1.1, upgrade to 1.1.2, upgrade to 1.1.3, jailbreak... what a mess.

its really not a mess if you know what your doing it took me like 5-10min with out any problems to jailbreak to 1.1.2 on my ipod touch

londondude

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
Please! Jeez, a most basic feature still left out? I'd trade in just about all of these (with the possible exception of GPS) just for the ability to delete multiple emails.

Hello? McFly?

maybe slide finger over trash to empty all trash.

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Reading all of these responses makes me look

[1] the updates presented in 1.1.3 are simple updates that should NOT have taken this long.

[4] Companies always think of life span growth of their product which means when they are in the meeting rooms drafting a new product, they always consider how far and how many features they can possibly bring to the table over a span of 10 years. Once they determine this, they plot a "SPOON FEEDING" course of (a) releasing small amounts of feature updates during the shelf life of the CURRENT VERSIONS of their product on the market and (b) and more significant updates with the release of NEW GENERATIONS of their product.

With all of that being said, Apple has definitely plotted a course for it's product. They have in mind tons of features and abilities they plan to unveil over time but here's how they plan to do it; Through Current Version Updates, and through Next Generation Upgrading.

Let's start with iPhone Gen 1. iPhone Gen 1 will have x amount of features and during it's shelf life, they will seed us with MINOR UPDATES to it's functionality. This is called current version updating where you seed small functionality updates only and nothing drastically different.

For iPhone Gen 2, Apple will introduce a FEW NEW FEATURES along with a FEW NEW APPS. This is called Generation upgrading. During this phase , the consumer will see a significant increase in functionality, features and applications and possibly a double release of a Casual iPhone (much like what we have now) and a Power User Version (with all of the functionality necessary to place it in the category of PDA because of the features presented).

This is approach is mandatory to ensure the consumer will have a JUSTIFIABLE REASON to purchase the next generation iPhone besides it's just being 3G. For this reason, they will not flood this version of the iPhone with tons of features, rather MORSELS.

I'm not so sure that all of this i true. I am sure that apple is rationing out features in a way so as to keep the iPhone marketable, but there are two things we are missing here:

1. In the January 07 keynote, Steve made a big deal about how the iphone was software upgradeable. He went off for a couple minutes on how if you all of a sudden needed a new button, you couldn't do that with phones already on the market. He/apple needs to either wait long enough for us to forget that the iphone was marketed in this way or satisfy us with enough software updates and/or entice us with more hardware features. They can't fool us by promising software upgrades and not delivering too many times before people stop buying.

2. If they truly are spoon feeding us minor updates, don't we all think that they would have been worked out a little better? There are simple things like safari crashing and ipod crashing while surfing that one would think that would apple would have focused on if they weren't busy making new updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.