iPhone 3g 2.2.1 'No Service' issues and solutions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Arisian, Jun 4, 2009.

  1. macrumors 68000

    Arisian

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    Location:
    China
    #1
    Hey guys,

    I had a 2.2.1/2.30.0 iPhone 3g that I JB'd last night. Everything went great, firmware installed just the way I wanted it to, but for some reason I'm having some issues where I'm not getting service.

    I used unlockit to block the APN address so that no data would come through since I dont have a dataplan at the moment. I highly doubt this is the issue. I used pwnage tool 2.5 with the 2.2.1 firmware and didn't do anything crazy out of the ordinary.

    I've read serveral posts about this but have receive almost zero insight into the problem. Lots of people say 'redo the whole thing' lots of people say 'it just started working' lots of people say 'disable/enable 3g' but there is zero consistency in the solutions nor are there any proven results.

    I am using an AT&T sim card from my other iPhone 2g JB'd. I read somewhere that someone said make sure you don't hacktivate it but the directions are crystal clear that you SHOULD hackivate it in my case.

    Btw, I updated the APN while the sim wasn't in teh phone the first time. I highly doubt that would have done anything, but I'm all for offering as much info as I possibly can.

    Any help our thoughts would be appreciate. I'll just keep slug'n away at this and hope that someone can steer me in the right direction!

    Cheers!
    Arisian
     
  2. thread starter macrumors 68000

    Arisian

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    Location:
    China
    #2
    Maybe this will help someone out there in the future with this, and maybe not.

    Nonetheless, the advice about making sure you UNCHECK the 'Activate' button in pwnage tool is valid. I unchecked it and am now receiving a signal... which we can all agree... is a good thing.

    My worry w/ doing this was that itunes wouldn't let me activate the phone, but for some reason it pretty much just decided it was done. I had blocked all outgoing data from itunes using little snitch while I did this just to make sure Apple didn't try to 'call home' on me.

    I believe this has fixed the problem. That being said, I believe that this might just be specific to 2.2.1 w/ modem firmware 2.30.0. I think that 2.2 doesn't have this issue. Maybe someone after me will know the answer to that.

    Hope this helps and sorry for spamming the board, but I figured I might as well post my own solution for someone down the road
     

Share This Page