Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InTheAir

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
There is a series of threads in the Apple support formum describing the same problem from quite a few users.
Can you post a link to this thread there?
The other solution for those willing to do it is to restore the phone as a new phone and start all over again. As far as I can tell from those folks, that does permanently fix the problem. At least no one I've seen has reported back about a later failure.
I'll be the one then to report back about a later failure--I restored the iPhone on Sunday and am using the most recent firmware (5A347) and still experiencing the problem.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Can you post a link to this thread there?
There are about three threads, two of which are short and don't provide any different information. The longest one is here

I should say that I have reloaded the firmware without success for this issue, but I have not restored the phone as a new phone. Is that what you did? Start from scratch?

InTheAir

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I should say that I have reloaded the firmware without success for this issue, but I have not restored the phone as a new phone. Is that what you did? Start from scratch?

Correct, that is what I did. (Restored the phone from scratch.)

I restored on Sunday.

Had problems on Monday/Tues.

As of today (Wed), it's working....so far. We'll see.

mccltd

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
Iphone with pushg mail from a sbs 2k3 report

Hi,

I run a SBS 2k3 server with push email running on a WM6 phone.
This has been working fine for 18 months now.

I purchased the Iphone 3g on Saturday and also set this up for push email from my server.
Again seem to worked great (apart from the dead quite alert tone).

But what I have noticed is as some others it appears when the iphone is left for a while it seems to stop receiving push mail until you click the email button which seems to force a sync.

My WM6 phone alerts me off a mail but the iphone doesnt when left for a while.
So I know push email is working.

I think from this test it shows its the IPHONE causing the problem when it seems to sleep.

Can anyone tell me who I should email this to at apple?

Also how can i change the email alert to be louder and be like a text putting it on the home screen?

Regards,

Dave.

spacetycho

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
emails

i was having the same issue. just showing 'connecting' but no emails coming in.

i turned the phone off/on and i got them.

i hope these issues are resolved, i spent half my battery just trying to figure this out.

:confused:

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I restored my first generation iPhone as a new phone last night, with all the attendant headaches. This morning it stopped fetching email. Save yourself the trouble; as reported above in this thread, this turns out not to be a permanent solution.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Ever since I turned off wi-fi on my phone I haven't had a problem. The phone turns off wifi when it goes to sleep. I think this has something to do with it. My phone was even receiving emails during the night not being touched. I think the phone doesn't know to switch between wifi and 3g when wifi isn't available. So it acts dead.

Turn off wifi completely and try it.

Hi,

I run a SBS 2k3 server with push email running on a WM6 phone.
This has been working fine for 18 months now.

I purchased the Iphone 3g on Saturday and also set this up for push email from my server.
Again seem to worked great (apart from the dead quite alert tone).

But what I have noticed is as some others it appears when the iphone is left for a while it seems to stop receiving push mail until you click the email button which seems to force a sync.

My WM6 phone alerts me off a mail but the iphone doesnt when left for a while.
So I know push email is working.

I think from this test it shows its the IPHONE causing the problem when it seems to sleep.

Can anyone tell me who I should email this to at apple?

Also how can i change the email alert to be louder and be like a text putting it on the home screen?

Regards,

Dave.

Cuprous

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2007
In my experience WiFi does not have anything to do with the problem. I have WiFi turned off here at work and I still have the problem.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
There is a long thread over at the Apple support forums about this that has a different wrinkle on this. The whole thread is here. The post of particular interest is on the second page of the thread, and there is some followup that suggests there is at least something to this.

Part of the post says about what an Apple representative said, "I was flat-out told that this is how the iPhone behaves and nothing is wrong. Every time it changes WiFi networks it has to establish it's email port (#25) over and over again and so it will not connect to the next network it finds until you restart your iPhone."

The rest of the thread is of interest too, but it isn't very satisfying. Several users have troubles even when they don't switch networks.

aquarterof

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2008
There is a long thread over at the Apple support forums about this that has a different wrinkle on this. The whole thread is here. The post of particular interest is on the second page of the thread, and there is some followup that suggests there is at least something to this.

Part of the post says about what an Apple representative said, "I was flat-out told that this is how the iPhone behaves and nothing is wrong. Every time it changes WiFi networks it has to establish it's email port (#25) over and over again and so it will not connect to the next network it finds until you restart your iPhone."

The rest of the thread is of interest too, but it isn't very satisfying. Several users have troubles even when they don't switch networks.

I saw the thread too. I'm still having the same issues. If Apple tech Support really said that then they are talking total *****. Hopefully this is something to be resolved in 2.1, although I'm not hopeful!:mad:

heartbreaker75

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
i can also verify a complete restore does not fix this issue. i have 1st gen, 2.0 phone with yahoo push and i'm having issues. the only way to reconnect to push in off/on function, check manual to upadate, but every time i get incoming or make outgoing calls, even if i don't answer the call, i get kicked off push and have to turn phone off/on and check mail manual to update. As I said i did a complete restore as new phone and that did not fix the issue.

I send feedback on the issue to apple.com/feedback and hopefully if enough people send feedback on this complete annoyance of push, on all supported emails, not working, then maybe they will address the issue quicker.

i also emailed a apple rep i was in contact with on another issue. Still waiting to his response on this matter

grinthock

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
WiFi Edge / 3G Issue

This is a WiFi / Edge/ 3G Switching issue.

I've pretty much confirmed it, my brother works within iPhone support, and i've emailed him to look into it, but he's not available today -- i'll get him to comment on the issue.

When your phone refreshes with the Yahoo/MobileMe/Whatever server, the server realizes where your phone is (on the network) and how to reach it.

The issue is, let's say you are on WiFi (arn't we all, who needs to spend data plan MB's especially if you are like me -- ON ROGERS IN CANADA!!) and working with your iPhone, as soon as you hit SLEEP/STANDBY, the phone switches the WiFi off, and switches to EDGE/3G. Problem is, last time it spoke to the Yahoo/MobileMe server, it was on WiFi, so now, when the MobileMe/Yahoo box tries to PUSH you an email -- it can't, because your phone is "gone"

FYI -- this is pure speculation, but i've read many threads that talk about this exact problem --- but here's how to re-create it.

Turn off WiFi, and use EDGE / 3G ONLY -- and see if your push works now -- mine does. In standby I get email no problem, before I had to bring the phone out of standby before email would arrive.

Ideally to fix the problem, each time the phone switches data communication paths, from Wifi to Edge, or Wifi to 3G, or even Edge to 3G or the other way around, the phone should re-contact the required push servers to ensure the push connection is still "hot"

I've been using a blackberry since the original BB950, and push email has always been 200% reliable for me -- Sorry :apple: but the iphone's email is simply NOT ready for primetime the way it's working, no business person is going to use a device for email that is flakey (even 1% flakey). The problem lies in the technology, Blackberry's push system is integrated directly with the Cellular Telephone Network, at the network level. The iPhone is not, therefore it's going to take alot more back and forth connection checking to make this stuff work.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
This explains why when WIFI is turned off and only 3G is used, I don't have a problem receiving emails anymore. And mine since that day, hasn't had a problem!

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
I've been using a blackberry since the original BB950, and push email has always been 200% reliable for me -- Sorry :apple: but the iphone's email is simply NOT ready for primetime the way it's working, no business person is going to use a device for email that is flakey (even 1% flakey). The problem lies in the technology, Blackberry's push system is integrated directly with the Cellular Telephone Network, at the network level. The iPhone is not, therefore it's going to take alot more back and forth connection checking to make this stuff work.

Actually we have had more issues with BB's than WM phones or the iphone. The iphone left in 3G mode like any other WM phone works like a champ receiving push emails. BB requires it to make at least 4 different steps before it is sent to the phones while the iphone and WM phones have 2 steps. If the BB server crashes, which they do often, then you won't receive emails. As long as Exchange is running and it has internet, the WM phones/iphone will receive the emails.

BlackBerrys are not directly connected any different than a WM device or the iphone to a cell network. :rolleyes:

matthiasgoodman

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
Chandler, AZ
Many other Exchange ActiveSync phones will only do push over the cellular connection for 3 reasons: 1. The cell carrier has properly set the idle connection (necessary for push) to a long enough time (15 or more minutes) and 2. DNS info is sometime different on wifi and cell networks (like an internal IP address on an in office wifi network) 3. Wifi is only on for a few minutes after the phone enters standby.

I guess Apple decided not to do this, probably because some countries don't have unlimited data.

JB666

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008

Nothing is wrong? Now that's funny... Anyways, I'll keep an eye on that thread.. thank you.

cadman67

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
iPhone 3G

Hi I am new to this forum having been an iPhone user since they first came out.....I upgraded to the new 3G version at the weekend and have been having th same issues with the mail push. have tested all the suggestions and can only say the one thing i have found works is to switch off 3g as it is the only thing that works. Given this is there any suggestions for getting this to work with 3g or is it a case of waiting for a new firmware upgrade or what.....

jeng

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
i'm using the 3g phone and i've had the same problem from the very beginning. 3g is turned off, wireless is turned off, i've been running only on the edge network all day today and it's happened twice.

anyone else have any suggestions?

deckwalker

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2005
Lao PDR
A very inelegant solution

I've found a very inelegant solution - but it's the only way that I've been able to get this to work (temporarily!)

My contacts are never being pushed to my phone. (Though interestingly enough, they push to the MobileMe server).

To get updates to my phone I had to: 1) turn off Push for mail, calendar and contacts. 2) shut down phone. 3) Turn Push back on. Then the phone synced like it was the first time and all is well - until of course something changes in my contacts or calendar.

I obviously don't want to do this several times a day, but had to this morning as all my contacts had been wiped from the phone when trying to get it to update.

Oh, I'm using the original iPhone, on unlocked 2.0.

cadman67

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2008
3g issues

Anyone tried the new 2.01 update have they done a thing to address this? I have now been a couple of days with 3g off and all is working okay but Reading the other issues it seems to differ I have tried to get a link to report but can't see one can anyone help,as previously reported if we all report they may sort it sooner.

ironman888

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
ridiculous

They REALLY have some catching up to do. As a blackberry user from the very beginning and a member of our national IT group, we support over 500 blackberries on our BES in Canada and have experienced maybe 3 or 4 BB's go down (typically because user switches data plan and phone needs to be reset). Aside from that, after delivering millions of emails and tasks and calendar items and notes items (hear that Apple? TASKS AND NOTES) being synchronized over the air, there has been ZERO problems. On the other hand, I have been using an iPhone 3G (as a personal device) for less than 3 weeks, and as everyone else on here is experiencing, push email is more like "kinda sorta push and only happens if you remember to reset your iPhone when you notice mail is appearing on your desktop but not on your iPhone". That's not push - that's a joke. (this is with latest 2.0.2 software)

Don't even get me started about mobileme...

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread because I have the exact same problem(s). My phone randomly stops retrieving emails and I have to turn it off and on again to get it to work. I've also determined that unless I have WiFi turned off, sending emails can take half an hour or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.