Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Hi all. So. I have something to show you. But first, don't get too excited ok?

V Look here! It says SK Telecom.... [KOR SK Telecom] To be exact...

attachment.php

Ok, but before you guys get all excited and ready to blow hundreds of dollars on an iPhone, here's what the deal is.

AND PLEASE, NO BODY TAKE ANY OF THIS OUT OF CONTEXT...
I dont want people to throw all these screenshots around with false information...

As for registering an iPhone 3g/3gs, or any other foreign phone for that matter, forget it. They aren't gonna let you do it.

The way I have this phone working here is, I obtained a prepaid SIM card from the UK, which allows for roaming to 130+ countries, South Korea being one of them. This also means that my phone number is a UK phone number.
eg: +44 (792) xxx-xxxx

[FYI, any international roaming SIMs will do, as long as they roam in South Korea, you may find different/better prices than the one I use.]

They use a call-back system, as do most all prepaid sims, so making a phone call is a pain, as well as expensive.

Rates: (Per minute)

Calling the US: 0.17 euros / ~301 won / ~$0.24 dollars
Calling Korean Landlines: 0.15 euros / ~265 won / ~$0.21 dollars
Calling Korean Cell Phones: 0.17 euros / ~301 won / ~$0.24 dollars

Incoming calls from both locations are charged at 0.05 euros / ~88 won / ~$0.07 dollars a minute.

SMS Messages are free to receive, 0.39 euros / ~691 won / ~$0.54 to send out, free to receive.

As you can see, it's cheaper than roaming (with AT&T in the US anyway), but this can get quite expensive if you make calls on a regular basis. Add that fact, that anyone who wants to call you has to call a UK number, which can be expensive for people in Korea who want to call you as well.

You can use Skype to get a local number (a Korean 070 number), which will be local for Korean people to call. It costs $30 if you have a subscription with skype, I think it's $60 without.

You then setup skype to forward it to your SIM's number (the UK number in my case).

The problem is, this method means I get charged $0.29 a minute out of MY skype credit balance, plus $0.07 per minute for receiving the call on my phone.

Sooooooooooo.

$0.21 - $0.24 a minute to call someone
$0.36 a minute if they call you.

That's expensive. Really expensive.

Especially considering that using a plan with SKT/KTF works out to something like 0.06euro / ~108 won / $0.06 per minute outgoing, free incoming.

(And SMS is about the same too)

Something about paying 4 to 6 times the going rate makes my stomach turn...

Another downside is that many services in Korea will send you notifications via SMS, because it's free to receive them here (bank, post office, etc).
Since my number is UK based, they wont send it to me...

So there are rumors spinning around the internet again, saying that KTF will release the iPhone 3g, and possible the 3gs in July, and SKT will follow in September. I guess if that happens, we might be able to pop in a SKT sim chip into our phones... then again, it's been 2 years since Koreans have been rumoring the iPhone's release here, and .. well... we're still waiting.

So technically, yes, it's possible. Financially feasible? Maybe. A smart idea? Not really. Lets just hope the iPhone comes out here soon.

=========================================================

If anyone's interested, here's the pain the ass I have to go through to make a phone call (incoming calls just come through).

The process is as follows:

Call a Korean, US, etc phone number in international format:

eg: (Calling Korea) +82 (xx) xxxx-xxxx
[When calling Korean numbers, you are required to omit the leading "0" int he area code, so 10 rather than 010]

attachment.php

As soon as I hit [Call], the iPhone tells me that my call failed, then flashes a message saying that my SIM has sent me a text message (although I never actually receive one).

attachment.php

attachment.php

You can hit the home button, or just wait, and after about 5-10 seconds...

You get a call back from that number (callback, get it?)

attachment.php

When you pick it up, it says to you "Thank for for using our service, please wait while we connect your call", and it rings the person you were calling in the first place. If you notice, the number is +008, then the country code (82, since it's Korea), and then the rest of your number that calls you back. You can always input this number as a 2nd number for your contacts so it'll show up that way when they call you.

Last edited:

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Also, could someone could provide me more information about SK's call forwarding service (something about *71?)

That, and any information about SKT or KTF being obligated to register any phone that passed the RRA's approval...

It would really help in efforts to make this whole thing possible, and I, as well as many others, I'm sure, would be grateful.

sohaness

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
well the news i've been reading today says that a decision is coming late next week about releasing the iphone.

kt and skt have had 2 years and they are still leaving this to the last minute...

so ridiculous!

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Where'd my pictures go?

Uh... where did my pictures go in the post I wrote up earlier? -_-

jeanwell1022

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009

anybody heard about universal sim card unlocker.can we use it to use local network here in korea like show ktf usim.

arsenius

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
No WIFI iPhone for China

Looks like China is getting the iPhone without WIFI.

This is sad news for us waiting here in Korea, considering WIFI has been a stumbling block to getting the phone here. It means Apple is willing to compromise on the issue. Personally, WIFI is 100% necessary for me. Without it, I won't buy an iPhone.

Astral Cars

macrumors regular
May 11, 2005
St. Paul
Hey all,

I'm going to Korea in a few days and will only be there a couple weeks. I have the original iPhone (EDGE) and am curious how much it would cost to send a text while there. I'll be meeting my sister (who lives there) and it would be really helpful if I could just text her to let her know I'm there.

Otherwise, how prevalent are free wifi networks? Would I be likely to find one at the airport or at COEX so that I could send a quick email or facebook message or something?

Thanks a lot.

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Hey all,

I'm going to Korea in a few days and will only be there a couple weeks. I have the original iPhone (EDGE) and am curious how much it would cost to send a text while there. I'll be meeting my sister (who lives there) and it would be really helpful if I could just text her to let her know I'm there.

Otherwise, how prevalent are free wifi networks? Would I be likely to find one at the airport or at COEX so that I could send a quick email or facebook message or something?

Thanks a lot.

With the original iPhone, you will not be able to get any cell/edge connection in Korea. There is no network frequency that is supported by the iPhone 2g.

Wifi is prevalent, but from my experience, COEX is saturated with a pay-only wifi service. You could probably get out into a coffee shop outside to send that email via wifi.

puercaeli

macrumors regular
May 10, 2008
myLGnet...

With popularity of the LG Dacom as the Internet Phone provider, if you are in any decent Seoul suburbia, you are likely to find AP named 'myLGnet'.

Thing about this AP is that people usually don't change the password as most are not well aware of the method and the consequence of doing so. Also, internet in Korea is not capped anyway so Korean generosity most likely to leave the password as default one...

Now the password is 123456789a. In my recent visit to Korea, I was able to connect to internet using this AP in most areas(including my home) and was able to surf the net and make phone call through skype. So I think place like COEX, you may get signals, if you go into shop area(high chance that one of those shop would use myLGnet)

Some other providers such as NESPOT or random ones like 'iptime' or 'unicorn' may be available without password. So your iPhone would not be entirely 'lost' in Korea even without 2G signals.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
Funny.
Cause I'm Korean, living in Toronto (in Kingston for my university - Queen's University) and I was previously a Telus Mobility User and paid $200 for the stupid service cancellation as I still had about 10 months of my 3-year contract remaining and moved to Rogers to get an iPhone.
Used to live in Nowon-Gu in Seoul by the way.
So anyways, Mike, if you ever need help in adapting to the Korean culture, etc.
Just PM me and will be glad to give you any hand that I can offer :)

Korean phones use SIM cards that are bigger in size.
So those SIM cards wouldn't physically fit inside the iPhone.

just for a clarification, SIM card size is the same :)

i have both korean 3g and iphone

Karl40

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
Can I roam in South Korea with my AT&T iPhone 3G?

Hi everyone. I have read the thread from the beginning and see some changes in the regulatory situation earlier this year. I have a basic question:

Can I today roam using voice in South Korea with my AT&T iPhone 3G, using the 3G (or 2G) service?

Thank you for considering my question.

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Hi everyone. I have read the thread from the beginning and see some changes in the regulatory situation earlier this year. I have a basic question:

Can I today roam using voice in South Korea with my AT&T iPhone 3G, using the 3G (or 2G) service?

Thank you for considering my question.

If you are on AT&T, then you will be able to roam here in South Korea. You will be charged at a rate of $2.29/min for incoming and outgoing calls... I forgot about the rates for text and data, but they are high enough that you will not want to use them while roaming here.

You will have to use 3g mode on your phone, as 2g service is not available here.

RaulDuke

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2009
iPhone with Skype

Hey everyone,

Heading to Korea in October for two years and have been pondering this topic lately. I know that Korea isn't the friendliest towards westerners trying to get a phone and I was wondering about using Skype on the iPhone. Has anyone in Korea with an iPhone tried using this before?

I know skype to skype calls are free within the wifi range. I was also toying with the idea of unlocking/jailbreaking an iphone and using GVoice from Cydia. Has anyone played around with this?

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
just for a clarification, SIM card size is the same :)

i have both korean 3g and iphone

That makes sense. I can't imagine Koreans travelling overseas not being able to use their Korean phones with the SiM cards they purchase overseas.

Karl40

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
If you are on AT&T, then you will be able to roam here in South Korea. You will be charged at a rate of $2.29/min for incoming and outgoing calls... I forgot about the rates for text and data, but they are high enough that you will not want to use them while roaming here.

You will have to use 3g mode on your phone, as 2g service is not available here.

Thank you. That is what I wanted to know. I was getting conflicting information from AT&T. The rate is fine as my use there is mostly so people can get a hold of me in an emergency. I will turn off data roaming.

andy1306

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2009
IPhone and Korea

Hi,

here are the facts:
Living in Korea since 7 years, having an IPhone 3G and local USIM card :

1.) SK Telecom USIM card fits perfectly into the IPHONE
2.) Using the IPHONE with the SK-USIM card outside Korea -> no problem
3.) Now comes the sad part:
The IPhone DOES NOT work with the SK-USIM card here in Korea. Every Phone is registered with the IMEI number at SK's network.
You wont be able to make calls or receive calls.

Hopefully that will change soon :D

wiredawg02

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2009
Updates?

Does any one have any updates on this? seeing as how in September, they agreed to start selling iPhones in Korea. I will be going there in a few months, currently have an iPhone 3G and am wondering how likely it will be that I can just pop a SIM card into my cell phone there. Thanks.

Kguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
Sales delayed until november.

Here's a good news for unlocked iphone owners. KoreaTelecom started accepting foreign IMEI iphones.

http://phonestore.show.co.kr/handler/Customer-NoticeView (korean)
http://www.kes.co.kr/ (korean)

http://www.fnnews.com/view?ra=Sent0...5911&cDateYear=2009&cDateMonth=10&cDateDay=01 (korean)

According to the article, you need a certificate from korean FCC (IMEI registration) the store will do that for you. Purchase a sim card with a plan.
(Currently 18 people activated iphones in Korea)

s4yunkim

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Not that likely...

Does any one have any updates on this? seeing as how in September, they agreed to start selling iPhones in Korea. I will be going there in a few months, currently have an iPhone 3G and am wondering how likely it will be that I can just pop a SIM card into my cell phone there. Thanks.

Here's the current situation on iPhone in Korea.

Sales of the iPhone have been pushed back yet again. It's not that big of a surprise when you notice that in June, they said July. In July, they said Mid August. In August they said September. In September they said October. Well it's October now and they're talking about maybe not until after December 31st. This has been going on for 3 years, and although it feels very close, no one knows if and when it'll actually be out.

The links that Kguy posted essentially allow you to do what about 120 or so people in Korea have done:

1. If you want to activate an iPhone (or any other foreign phone for that matter) on a Korean network, it must be individually tested and certified. This involves a 10 day process, in which your phone is shipped to THROUGH-KES. They will test the phone and return it to you, as well as issue you an approval if it passes. The cost for this process through them is 500,000 won. (~$428 USD).

2. Once you receive your phone and certificate, you can take it to KT or SK Telecom and they will activate it for you on their network. However, since only 120 people or so have done this, there aren't many places that actually know how to do it... so it will take some time. They will probably call up their main headquarters and take their sweet time figuring out how to do it, since they've probably never seen an iPhone before.

In all technical ways, yes, it is possible to plug in a korean USIM card into the iPhone. It's the same size, and it will be recognized. You absolutely will not get service until you go through this process.

Your other alternative is to roam here from your home country, which might be cheaper depending on how long you will be here. Check with your carrier for rates... With AT&T in the US, roaming with the iPhone here in Korea costs $2.29 per minute :eek:

I'm scheduled to get my approval this friday, cant wait! :D

Hope this helps

Kguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
I don't know how many (foreign) iphone owners willing to pay that amount of money to activate it in Korea. It's just ridiculous. I wish they changed the policy or dropped down the price.

Kguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
More BS

Maybe not this year! I'm getting sick of lies and speculations as I read more about iphone in Korea. I can't trust much in the accuracy of Korean media now. Apple website is more accurate IMO. For example, some UK users r saying.. 3 months before it launched the UK, flag appeared on the coming soon part of the website. Still no Korea. Certification crap is not worth the money, period. Things need to change, seriously. Korean telecom companies (and government!) should start being more open with their customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.