iPhone 3GS + Backgrounder = Complete iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vandam500, Jul 14, 2009.

1. macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Seriously, now that we finally have a phone that has enough memory to run Non-Apple apps in the background without crashing, "backgrounder" has completely filled up that empty space I felt while using my iPhone.

How many of you want to listen to Pandora,Slacker,Sirius,etc while you navigate in Safari, check out the latest FML's, Text, Play a Game,etc?

With the 3GS (Jailbroken) along with Backgrounder all that and much much more is possible!

Example:

I like to use Trapster from the App Store while I drive along with AT&T's GPS App and Pandora to listen to music. Thanks to the amount of memory the 3GS has I start up Trapster and run it in the background, I start up Pandora and play music then run it in the background, then I open the GPS and leave it there. Simultaneously I am listening to music from Pandora, Trapster is alerting me of police traps, speed cameras,etc and the GPS app is telling me where to go:p

It's awesome and for you people who haven't jailbroken your 3GS I strongly recommend you do! I haven't noticed any sort of slow down whatsoever and it adds so much more functionality to an already great device.

*******I will be making a video showing the multitask capabilities of the iPhone 3GS. Stay tuned.

2. macrumors member

Yo i thank you so much for posting this. I had no idea the app store had trapster. My job in patient transport and I need this so much for the long trips i take and i can have it running in the background.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Hehe, no problem :) Enjoy it!

4. macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I have trapster, but is the push for when you are near a trap or is it just to alert when a new trap is up?

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

The push just alerts you when new traps are up. It cannot alert you when you are near a trap because Trapster has no way of knowing where you are unless you 1) Have the App open or 2) Jailbreak, install Backgrounder and it will then alert you :)

6. macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

That sounds like a great set up. Backgrounder worked terribly on the original iPhone on 2.0. Slugged it down until it was near-unusable.

7. macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Ohhh ok. Got it:rolleyes:

8. thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

It works flawless with the 3GS. Everyday I use that setup. Sometimes I don't use the GPS and just have Trapster with Pandora both in the background. Works perfectly. No lags, no crashes. Perfection :).

9. macrumors 68000

mquickdo is a pretty good pay app from Cydia. It enables advanced gestures to switch among running apps. It works really well with Backgrounder. There's a three-day trial as well so you can check it out. I just bought it this evening.

10. thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Awesome! Never heard of it before, downloading now :)

11. macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Once the official 3.1 is released and jailbroken I plan on doing it. What do you guys use to jailbreak?

12. thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

redsn0w. You can find everything you need here.

13. macrumors regular

you notice bad battery drain with backgrounder?

14. macrumors member

huge battery drain.

15. macrumors regular

im notcing on my recently jailbroken 3gs that battery drain in standby is high, the only thing i have installed jb wise is winterboard and bossprefs, but its dropped 8% in the past hour alone.. it wasnt like that b4, i like the jailbreak but i think once my white 3gs comes in i wont be jailbreaking..

16. macrumors regular

I really want to jailbreak just to be able to run some apps in the background...but I am too scared to do it! :)

----------------
    Listening to: IMG_0043
    via FoxyTunes

17. macrumors regular

oh its simple, i used purplera1n it took all of 5 minutes..

18. thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Yes it uses more battery (makes sense since you are running more then 1 app at a time) but it's not that bad.

Yep! purplera1n or redsn0w will do the trick. Extremely easy both methods.

19. macrumors 65816

Hmmm I'm gonna try this setup on my unlocked 3gs... I downloaded a new standalone gps app called gmap... The only problem I'd when you enable the gmap, you canT listen to the iPod so hopefully that fixes this issue. Plus it's gettng charged so it doesn't matter the battery gets eaten.

20. macrumors 6502a

gianly1985

I completely agree.
    At startup iphone 3G has 38mb of free memory, iphone 3GS has 160mb. This makes a HUGE difference in what you can do.

21. thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Yes it does! My 3G couldn't even handle having Pandora in the background for a few minutes without crashing. Now I can run several apps without a problem:D

22. macrumors newbie

jyshiow

Backgrounder

Heh one of the primary reasons i broke my iphone 3GS out of jail was to run backgrounder....:eek:

23. macrumors regular

Is it true that JB iphones cannot do push notifications?

24. macrumors 65816

Unlocked phones on another carrier apparently can't.

I have a jailbroken phone on at&t and am not having any issues.

25. macrumors member

verks

Unlocked phones have issues with Push Notifications not Jailbroken ones.