iPhone 3GS - Charging is not supported by this accessory

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by x-Laura, Sep 30, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I have recently bought a used iPhone 3GS. The phone is up and running, except for one minor issue.

When I connect the iPhone to my Windows PC, I get the message "Charging is not supported by this accessory" with a yellow triangle and an exclamation mark. It will successfully sync but simply won't charge.

I have tried various USB ports and different cables, all official Apple. I have tried restoring the iPhone, reinstalling iTunes etc.

It will however charge from my work laptop, so I am investigating the set up of my USB ports on my PC.

Any other idea's?

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors newbie

energetic

Do you connect your device directly to the USB port? If you are using ie an USB cable extender you may have such an issue. A fellow user of a 3GS had the same problem and removed that extender.

4. macrumors 6502

Agreed.

Is it an older machine?

5. macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Older computers need to be TOLD to crank up the voltage.

I know on a Blackberry I had to install the RIM software before my Blackberry would charge. The software installation told the computer to increase the voltage to the USB ports.

I do not think this is a problem with newer computers. I know my iMacs charge anything.

6. macrumors 68000

thewitt

As others have said it's the available power on your USB port. Some computers will increase this with a change in settings best done through a number of free utilities floating around the web. Some will never increase however so charging will never be an option.

-t

7. macrumors 6502a

the iPhone requires at least USB2.0 (which is the current standard) most computers you see walking around today are USB 2.0, you have a few people with laptops that have 3.0, but only much older machines still have classic USB. Classic USB has a lower wattage that prevents the charging. I believe USB 3.0 has a higher wattage than 3.0, one of the reasons why it allows for faster speeds.

Sucks, but at least your iPhone and cables are fine!