iPhone 3GS GSM... no iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Wolffie, Jun 8, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Wolffie

Specifically America and AT&T.

Do we suspect all the entry (FREE to $.99) smart phones sold in the past year are non upgradeable to iOS6?
    It is the next model in line to be left out in the cold.
    3GS came with iOS 3.0
    The iPad (1st Gen) debuted with 3.2.1 right?

2. macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

The only technical reason for them not to support it would be the fact that it only has 256 MB of RAM and the fact that it doesn't have a retina display, causing them to need to create two versions of all their UI elements. Other than that, I don't see any factors such as the subsidized cost being an issue, since you're really paying $350 for the phone over the term of your contract.

3. macrumors 6502a

I can see ram being a factor here, that leaves all the current and previous iTouch models and even the original iPad left out due to having only 256mb. I am thinking the iPhone 4 is a bare minimum requirement for iOS 6 but I hope I am wrong.

4. macrumors 6502

You do realise that there is no "American" version and "International" version of the 3GS? Nor was there an "AT&T GSM" version and a "CDMA" one.

5. macrumors G4

Chundles

I think the 3GS will be left out and iOS 6 will be Apple A(x) processors only.

6. macrumors regular

It's difficult to support a model that's 3 years old. Too many hardware differences. You really can't expect any phone over 2 years old to get much support.

7. Guest

WeegieMac

As an iPhone 4 owner, I'd be pleasantly surprised if iOS 6 ran in full (and at an acceptable level of performance) on my device. I'm crossing my fingers, but you never know what Apple's plans are.

Thankfully I'll be able to enjoy iOS 6 in full on my new iPad. :D

8. macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

The 3GS is 3 years old now maybe Apple will want to stop the support.

9. macrumors 65816

I bet they would support the 3 GS since the processor speed is similar to the iphone 4 processor. RAM is lower but it took iOS5 without major slowdowns.

10. macrumors 68000

VulchR

I thought somewhere in Apple's corporate documents that they have to declare to FTC, SEC, FCC or some other government entity (I cannot remember which) that Apple stated they intend to provide system support each model typically for 2 years. It sounds to me like this means the 3GS won't get iOS 6.

11. macrumors 68040

andybno1

I'm going with no 3gs support with iOS 6 all but original iPhone have had 2 versions of iOS.

Attached Files:

12. macrumors 6502a

iEnvy

Doubt it. Sorry dude [​IMG]

13. macrumors 6502a

chambone

Yes, but they still sell it, so I am not so sure that argument is very solid. As I see it, the only reason to deny the 3GS iOS 6 support are hardware restrictions, the 256MB RAM specifically. If that turns out not to be a concern, I expect Apple to actually make iOS 6 available for the 3GS. If only to show the competition how supporting your products is done.

14. macrumors 68000

Calidude

If you guys think the 3GS is getting iOS6 you are living in a dream world.

15. lordofthereef, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

macrumors 604

lordofthereef

I don't want them to support the 3GS any longer. Why? Because we have been getting steadily better hardware already for the past three years but everything is developed to still run properly on these legacy devices. What's the point of new hardware if you are going to bottleneck due to the old stuff?

16. macrumors newbie

Wasn't the same said about the 3GS getting iOS 5?

17. macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

Nice Photoshop. ;)

18. macrumors 6502

Woah, you're from the future!

19. macrumors 68040

andybno1

question is how many people logged on to their developer account to check after seeing the image lol

20. macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

This is a really hard call actually.

Both the iPhone 3G(s) and iPhone 4 have the exact same processor and graphical chipset. The only difference is that the 4's hardware got a Mhz boost to help power the Retina display. eDRAM on the 3G(s) is 256MB, though, while the iPhone 4 has 512MB. If that were the only determining factor the original iPad and iPod Touch 4th('10-'11 models) would also not be getting iOS 6.

----------

The iPhone 3G(s) and iPhone 4 shared the same Cortex-A8 processor.

21. chrf097, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

macrumors 68040

chrf097

No, every iPhone has had 3 versions. The third version they recieved had limitations that the other new models didn't get (I.E iOs 4.0 on the iPhone 3G did not get multitasking).

Following this, The iPhone 4 will have some limitations on iOS 6 (That'll probably relate to the maps) where as the iPhone 4S and 6th generation iPhones will support iOS 6 fully.

EDIT: Looks like the 3GS is getting iOS 6.0. This means that Apple is probably extending iOS support on iPhones to 4 versions instead of 3! That means my 4S is going to last me a full year longer!

I know I did :D

22. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

No, the same thing was said for the iphone 3G.
    And they dropped support for it with 5.0
    And this year they will drop support for the 3GS and next year stop support for the iphone 4 with ios 7.0 etc....

23. macrumors newbie

Did i get something wrong? I thought the iPhone 4 had a 800 MHz processor, where as the 3GS had a 600 MHz? Just asking since quite a few of you, state that they have the same processor? :eek:

24. Wolffie, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

thread starter macrumors regular

Wolffie

I realize that this is an international community.
    "America", not "American", and "AT&T" refer to the users, consumers, current buyers, etc. not the device. AT&T currently sell the 3GS. If iOS 6 is not available to those purchasers, then those purchasers will not be able to upgrade their software. A common stated benefit of purchasing an iPhone is Apple updates the software, unlike other phone manufactures. So, those purchasers are not retaining that benefit. Unfortunate fact (maybe, don't know yet).

I am not knowledgeable about other nations cellular sales plans.
    I do not know if they sell 3GS. I remember the 3GS being listed #3 or #5 most popular/sold smartphone. I do know some cellular service providers have sold the iPhone 4 free with the long-term contract.

I see you are from Melbourne, Australia. One of my favorite places, very beautiful. Could you give any details about the 3GS sales of Australia?

As far as my description of the phone as GSM, yes, overly descriptive. You have me there.:rolleyes: I hope I have clarified statements better now. :D

Thank you for your comments.

25. thread starter macrumors regular

Wolffie

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/06/iphone-teardown-reveals-underclocked-833mhz-cpu/
    And for contrast the A4 processor of iPhone 4 has not been disclosed but the same processor in the iPad (1 Gen) was clocked at 1GHz.
    Wiki... cause I can not find any better statements
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A4