Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wez99950

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
hey, just wondering are there any other fellow irish people here waiting to purchase the iphone?
any ideas as to what price we will be looking at? I read somewhere that it'll be released on the 26th but nothing on the website yet.
As this will (maybe, still undecided) be my first iphone and new customer to O2 still wondering whether to go for contract of Payg

brisweeney

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
Dublin,Ireland
more than likely the 3Gs wont be available on payg straight away. my average bill is around 83-100e per month, i rarely go above my 1gb of data and use it every day.

bill pay is the best way to go if u can afford it

gil.minto

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
Ireland
If it is on PAYG, I'll be upgrading on day one. However, most of the o2 shop assistants I talked to said it probably won't be out on PAYG at launch, but some rumors on o2's forums say it might be. So it'd seem nobody knows yet.

If I had to guess a price for the 3G S, I'd say it'll will be similar to the 3G, with the 16GB and 32GB being priced like the 3G's 8GB and 16GB respectively.

wez99950

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
i'd say i'll wait for the payg to come out, hopefully close enough to the launch day! still a student so 80-100 euro a month is just wayyyy too much for me. at least with payg i only spend what i actually have. But maybe they will have lower tariffs for the contract. If they do, i'd seriously consider it

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
O2 rang me the other day as I had already logged a information request with them. They were really helpful for people with NO INFORMATION :rolleyes:

I mean typical for us in Ireland, were left with a web of mystery as the rest of europe have already sorted themselves in preparation for launch either this week or next, whilst were still combing the peat bogs for details.

They suggested that there was possibility of iPhone 3GS upgrades to existing users as they offered similar with the pre 3g - 3g update.

I guess one day we will find out.... but when is anyones guess.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
more than likely the 3Gs wont be available on payg straight away. my average bill is around 83-100e per month, i rarely go above my 1gb of data and use it every day.

bill pay is the best way to go if u can afford it

I'm on meteor PAYG with an iPhone. My bill is usually between 20-40 a month, including internet access. 50MB for 99cent a day is 1.5GB a month for 30 euro (if you use it), plus i have free txt to all networks.

I paid 100+ a month when i was on bill pay with an older phone. Don't think i'll go back.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Wouldn't buy it unless i can get the 'Experience More' Plan. I like my free texts to all networks!

Also note the 8GB iPhone 3G is only 40 euro cheaper than the 16GB 3GS. Doesn't make sense to buy one on RTG.

Did O2 ever get around to enabling visual voicemail?

wez99950

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
Wouldn't buy it unless i can get the 'Experience More' Plan. I like my free texts to all networks!

Do you think that will be available for payg customers? Like you, this would be something that i would really use. Currently on meteor and have free texts which is brilliant as most people i know are on meteor. Would love if the experience more plan was still available.

brisweeney

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
Dublin,Ireland
well seeing as im getting the 3Gs for only €129 ill be upgrading next week. think ill go for white this time! :)

fairly good upgrade pricing from O2 IRE, seems a lot more fair than AT&T's, which cant be hard! lol

anyone else upgrading before their contract is up?

wez99950

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
i wonder will there be a mad rush to get these??
i'll be away for the release date so i'm hoping they won't be sold out by the time i get back!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm upgrading before my contract is up too. :D Got the 3G on launch day, so I'm a little under 12 months on my contract complete...

I'm also thinking of going for white this time, I am eligible for the Silver Upgrade in two weeks. Probably take longer than that for them to appear in Co. Kerry anyway :D

O2's website says 'available in black on the 26th'. So maybe the white ones wont be around on launch day....

newrosschap

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
I'm on meteor PAYG with an iPhone. My bill is usually between 20-40 a month, including internet access. 50MB for 99cent a day is 1.5GB a month for 30 euro (if you use it), plus i have free txt to all networks.

I paid 100+ a month when i was on bill pay with an older phone. Don't think i'll go back.

Hey man.
I like your style there, looks like you've got your thinking cap on when it comes to your toys.
Can you give me instructions as to how I can get an iphone on pre pay on the network of my choice without breaching contracts etc and weather ill suffer any limitations in my iPhones abilities on prepay/unblocked phone.

I want a white one but unsurprisingly enough they don't seem to be available here yet, I say unsurprisingly because I'm used to Ireland to being inferior in almost every way..
anyway i can't wait to get a white 3gs, it makes my brain feel nice thinking of it.
cheer cheer bro

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ 3gS in white won't appear till August I was told when I went in to collect my pre-order the other day. So I decided to wait - rather than go for black again...

Only way your going to get your iPhone on another network is to buy either a SIMFREE model from a European Network that offers them, and then were talking €600+ euro or more, or to buy from Ebay an unlocked jailbroken iPhone. However they have not managed to unlock the 3gS yet.

Setting up an iPhone to another network is easy once it has been jailbroken.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Can you give me instructions as to how I can get an iphone on pre pay on the network of my choice without breaching contracts etc and weather ill suffer any limitations in my iPhones abilities on prepay/unblocked phone.

You can buy abroad as MRU says. However O2 offer a very good package, they just don't include it with the iPhone RTG model. You might ask in O2 if you can get that package for your iPhone. You lose free calls to O2 but you gain free Txt to all network.

The plan is called 'Experience More'.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Does anyone know what happens with the iPhone once the contract is up? If I upgrade then, is there an official unlock path for my existing phone, or am I all on my own?

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Does anyone know what happens with the iPhone once the contract is up? If I upgrade then, is there an official unlock path for my existing phone, or am I all on my own?

I don't know either. All i know is that in america they say that old phones can be used as MP3 players, hinting that you can't unlock it officially.

You can ask O2. If it's an original phone then at least you have the comfort of knowing that it's easy to unlock. :)

wez99950

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
Saw on the website that o2 are currently out of stock, does anyone know if that is nationwide? have we been told when they are due to get more in?

Still in a dilemma deciding whether to go payg with o2 or try and get a factory unlocked phone from italy/belgium.....hhmmm.....

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
The website only counts phones from the 'online' warehouse so to speak. Individual shops might still have stock.

wez99950

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
is there a company that sells the iphone 3gs and mac laptops? I know 02 used to do both but i don't think they do anymore.
I need to buy a new laptop as well so thought that if there was a store that sold the iphone and mac laptops i might be able to get a bit of a discount for buying both - wishful thinking i know!

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Doesn't the O2 on Grafton Street in Dublin have a whole floor for Apple products?

wez99950

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
Doesn't the O2 on Grafton Street in Dublin have a whole floor for Apple products?

Do they?? Apologies, i was speaking from experience with stores in Limerick and Cork and was told that they don't sell the laptops anymore. Perhaps they were just referring to the stores themselves as oppose to O2

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

If it's an original phone then at least you have the comfort of knowing that it's easy to unlock. :)

Sadly O2 WILL NOT unlock the phone even when contract is up. It was one of the agreements they made with Apple. I was told this by O2 directly when my previous iPhone finished contract, and asked again now that my 3G is going to be upgraded this month. Same story now as then.

At least it can be jailbroken and unlocked that way.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Sadly O2 WILL NOT unlock the phone even when contract is up. It was one of the agreements they made with Apple.

At least here in Ireland someone can use the phone, just only with an O2 sim card. I know a lot of people who have an O2 locked iPhone but went ready to go before they were available RTG.

This is for the original iPhone only though, i'm hoping it's the same with the 3G/S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.