Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two reports published today by RBC/IQ ChangeWave highlight user satisfaction and likes and dislikes of Apple's iPhone 3GS and Palm's Pre. The surveys, both conducted in August, show that iPhone 3GS users are far more satisfied with their device than Palm Pre users are with theirs. Among common likes between the two devices are their touchscreen interfaces and ease of use, while common dislikes include short battery life and the lack of support by corporate IT departments.

When it comes to device satisfaction, 82% of iPhone 3GS users are very satisfied, compared to 45% of Palm Pre users. In terms of user expectations, 38% of users said the iPhone 3GS exceeded their expectations, where only 18% of Pre users made the same claim.

134804-iphone-3gs-sat_300.png

135035-palm-pre-sat_300.png

The carrier for the iPhone in the U.S., AT&T, heads the list of dislikes for iPhone 3GS users, with 55% of users citing it as a negative factor. Palm Pre users' only complaint about Sprint, which currently offers the Pre exclusively in the U.S., is that it is the only network on which the Pre can be used – a complaint offered by only 8% of the survey's respondents.

134804-palm-pre-likes_500.png

134803-iphone-3gs-likes_500.png

Palm's Pre, largely viewed as one of the premier iPhone competitors of the year, was released in June to early reviews praising its webOS operating system and lamenting its cramped keyboard and short battery life. At release, the Pre was able to sync media through iTunes on a PC or Mac by emulating an iPod. Since then, an iTunes update from Apple disabled Pre synchronization with iTunes and then a subsequent webOS update from Palm re-enabled it. Palm's webOS application store, the App Catalog, is growing but still trails Apple's App Store, which currently features over 60,000 apps, in available software from third-party developers by a wide margin.

Palm has come under fire in recent days in the wake of revelations that the Pre periodically sends what many consumers consider to be personal information, including GPS location and data on app usage, back to Palm's servers. Palm has defended its actions, noting that the company's privacy policy "includes very detailed language about potential scenarios in which we might use a customer's information, all toward a goal of offering a great user experience."

Article Link: iPhone 3GS Trumps Palm Pre in Satisfaction Survey

CTechKid

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
I wonder what the satisfaction survey/chart looked like for the 1st generation iPhone running a very early version of the OS.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
I wonder what the satisfaction survey/chart looked like for the 1st generation iPhone running a very early version of the OS.
It's not the same survey, but here's one for the original iPhone
. Needless to say, people were incredibly satisfied with their iPhones, even with the original 1.0 software. Let's not forget how user-unfriendly smartphones were back in 2006.

Illusion986

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
And i like how on AppleInsider that it only says The Iphone had 99 percent satisfaction rate and doesn't say that the Palm Pre has 97 percent

Ahh i hate when journalists or who ever happens to write some sort of news takes sides. Just give me facts and ill make my own opinion.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
I own the Pre and I can attest that I'm not 97% happy with the hardware.

I love the OS and the multitasking card interface (plus the chat, email pushing etc is fantastic) but the hardware needs some work; loose top portion, heat distortion (can't see unless you tilt the thing almost 90˚) and half of the keyboard light went out on my wife's Pre.

So I'd have to say the OS scores a 90% and the hardware about a 65%

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
What's interesting is that the Pre only lags by 2% on ease of use, but also gets a 42% like the multi-tasking features, which the iPhone doesn't even have. This tells me that, while the Pre isn't the best device (yet), with a larger screen, higher resolution/better camera and some bug fixes, Web OS could easily surpass OS X.

If I were Apple right now, I'd be very worried about the next hardware device Palm releases, which will fix many of the complaints.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
What's interesting is that the Pre only lags by 2% on ease of use, but also 42% like the multi-tasking features, which the iPhone doesn't even have. This tells me that, while the Pre isn't the best device (yet), with a larger screen, higher resolution/better camera and some bug fixes, Web OS could easily surpass OS X.

You pretty much nailed it. If you had the Palm WebOS with all of it's features on an iPhone quality device it would be a huge win. I know it is an apple fan site, and I do love the iPhone, but WebOS is pretty fantastic in its infancy.

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
I used my cousin's iPhone 3GS briefly, and was very satisfied. Granted I wasn't doing a lot of typing on it, but the speed and responsiveness were what impressed me.

I have a G1 and can honestly say it needs a hardware boost.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
To me WebOS is better than iPhone's OS. With each update, it has gotten better and this is Palm's only baby anymore so 100% of their focus is WebOS. The hardware, however, isn't as good as it could be. If I could put WebOS on my iPhone I'd be one happy smartphone user.

That being said, Palm is not following Apple but will be taking a RIM type approach to smartphones. Palm plans to offer many different hardware form factors which run on the superior WebOS platform. They'll offer a touchscreen only candybar style like iPhone, and they're working on a touchscreen/QWERTY non-sliding keyboard much like the Q or Curve.

Hardware speaking, there will be something for everyone.

CTechKid

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
It's not the same survey, but here's one for the original iPhone
. Needless to say, people were incredibly satisfied with their iPhones, even with the original 1.0 software. Let's not forget how user-unfriendly smartphones were back in 2006.

I'd like to point out that that survey was conducted one week after the initial release of the iPhone. You're still in the Honeymoon phase of any major purchase.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident

Well, remember when the 1st generation iPhone was out, we all had "Planet of the Apes" class of phones. The iPhone was easily 10 to 15 years ahead of everything else. Now, companies can get the ideas and cut that lead down a lot.

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
OP:
The carrier for the iPhone in the U.S., AT&T, heads the list of dislikes for iPhone 3GS users, with 55% of users citing it as a negative factor. Palm Pre users' only complaint about Sprint, which currently offers the Pre exclusively in the U.S., is that it is the only network on which the Pre can be used – a complaint offered by only 8% of the survey's respondents.

What does this paragraph mean? I read it a few times and its not very clear. Does this say that 55% of iPhone users cite AT&T is a dislike?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
It would have been just a little bit more scientific if the "What do you like best about your X?" contained the same criteria for both phones. You would have more accurately been able to compare the two devices than. With different criteria, it leaves you comparing apple to oranges.

OP:

What does this paragraph mean? I read it a few times and its not very clear. Does this say that 55% of iPhone users cite AT&T is a dislike?

It really means nothing. It's just a journalist trying to fill up space by throwing numbers at us or it just was very poorly written.

To me WebOS is better than iPhone's OS. With each update, it has gotten better and this is Palm's only baby anymore so 100% of their focus is WebOS. The hardware, however, isn't as good as it could be. If I could put WebOS on my iPhone I'd be one happy smartphone user.

I just curious, do you know how many times the Pre's WebOS firmware has been updated since it was released?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's impressive to get such high satisfaction numbers in the face of the HUGE expectations. Owners (and the media) gush about the iPhone so much, it's hard to live up to the hype. Kind of like how too many great movie reviews leave you likely to be a little disappointed. Yet the iPhone still gets these numbers. And, I might add, during a time with the current OS version (3.0) is in need of some bug fixes.

I'd like to point out that that survey was conducted one week after the initial release of the iPhone. You're still in the Honeymoon phase of any major purchase.

Then again, AT&T's activation logjam would also be fresh in peoples' minds. And after only a week, much of the beauty of the iPhone and its apps is still yet to be discovered.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Why are the "what do you like best" options not the same for both phones?
Yes, I realize they don't all have the all the same capabilities, but I might as well ask if they like the color of the phone they bought. I guess objectivity is not important.:rolleyes:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The real problem with the Pre (and I think this is Sprint's failing) is that you can't use the phone and the Internet at the same time!

I find that hard to believe, but from what I've read it's true, just like the original EDGE iPhone way back when. Any confirmation from Pre users here?

To not be able to get an important email because I'm on the phone would really be a problem. To not be able to look up directions, or movie times, or the phone number of a restaurant, without hanging up? That would drive me crazy! I guess I'm fortunate that AT&T has good 3G coverage where I live.

(I assume the Pre can still do what the EDGE iPhone did, if you happen to be in a hotspot: use WiFi while on a call.)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Seems odd to compare a 3rd Gen Phone to a 1st Gen Phone

I wonder how the iPhone 2G would compare to the Palm Pre . . . .

I can see your point, but it doesn't really make sense. When the original iPhone came out did people compare it to the Palm Treo 90? They didn't because the hardware and software have changed so much that it wouldn't be valid. So yes, I would say the pre is better than a two year old phone with and older processor, less ram, and an OS without third party apps. The only problem is if you walk in to a store you don't see any first gen iPhone's any more do you?

Palm hasn't just started making phones, they have been doing it for years, 7 to be exact. Apple on the other hand is the new player in the market with only 2 years under their belt.

While WebOS looks pretty cool I'm hoping Android starts to take off, as it is currently much more developer friendly than Palm's current offering. If only a manufacturer would produce an Android handset with 3GS/Pre specs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.