Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
yeah thats really lame! i could not believe it when they were talking about uploading video content to youtube or whatever and later when i checked i could not find any HSUPA capable chip in the iphone specs.
i just did a quick estimation that a one minute video would take ten minutes to upload at that UMTS speed of ~50KByte/s... wtf?
not to mention internet tethering... thats when you would probably like to quickly email a X MB powerpoint/pdf file from on the road.
and dont tell me HSUPA will drain battery significantly more than HSDPA.

that said, i will get a 3gs this october :rolleyes:
just sad because where i live, t-mobile has great coverage for both HSDPA and HSUPA...

Doesn't T-Mobile use a different 3G band than AT&T? You'll be on Edge anyway.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
What this means: If you want to send a video MMS or upload a video to Youtube through AT&T, it will take exactly ... 2 years, 5 months, 36 days, 25 minutes, and 42 seconds. :eek:

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Remember, ATT is supposed to deliver tethering by the end of the summer. Then this would really come into play.

AT&T said MMS by end of summer, and tethering "later this year" (which means Dec.31st) or they might just wait and hope we forget about tethering. Most likely though they will offer tethering, but charge a ridiculous fee for it.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I guess that's why the iPhone has WiFi. If someone has to upload large files, it wouldn't make sense to use EDGE or 3G. My home WiFi connection gives me about 517 kbps upload. My cell connection can often top out at about 9 kbps.

djdole

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
Nice

So that means by "unlimited data" AT&T actually means you can only upload a MAX of 120.38GB per month?
Whaaaa?! I guess that means no iPhone web-server app for me (once background tasks are released) :(

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
So that means by "unlimited data" AT&T actually means you can only upload a MAX of 120.38GB per month?
Whaaaa?! I guess that means no iPhone web-server app for me (once background tasks are released) :(
I sincerely hope that you were joking.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
What this means: If you want to send a video MMS or upload a video to Youtube through AT&T, it will take exactly ... 2 years, 5 months, 36 days, 25 minutes, and 42 seconds. :eek:
If you want to send what video? How long is it? The video uploaded from the phone to Youtube will be scaled down before it is sent to YouTube anyway. The only way to send the full 640X480 version is by saving to your computer and uploading from there.

djdole

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
All this means to me is another reason for the iPhone to be on Verizon. I can't believe this is not a Page 1 story.

Um, driving your scooter on the autobahn or on a Nascar track won't make it any faster.

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Whaaaa?! I guess that means no iPhone web-server app for me (once background tasks are released)
I thought "unlimited data" meant something like 5GB per month before overage fees started kicking in. Or is that only for tethering plans?

LEStudios

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Standard broadband from Comcast here in the Memphis metropolitan area tops out at 384kbps upload. Most people have no idea their "10Mbps" isn't both ways. I seriously doubt most people would notice a speed bump on their upload either... unless they're constantly uploading things.

I have my own web server, so I went with local DSL and am enjoying 3Mbps upload.

Comcast here in Houston with the Top plan with a 16Mbps Speed Boost. I guess this just raw speed without the Boost. :confused:

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Hmm I seem to be hitting the wall for upload.

Just did several tests and it seemed to average around ~350kbps for upload.

Shame :-(

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Does this really affect much? I'm thinking about what things I do with uploads, and I can only think of using Facebook and potentially uploading videos there. It is a shame that the hardware is tapped out at 384k, but I think it's quite a minor thing for most users.

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
I've only found one place in the entire UK where 3G even threatens to get that fast, and that's central London. A total irrelevance.

This.

I'd love for this cap to be an issue, because I almost never see upload speeds of over 50 Kbps on my 3G AT&T connection.

DB2k

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
Im sorry but what a stupid article.. you might as well go one about how Apple has limited the mega pixels in the camera or doesn't ship iphone 3GS with a free milkshake maker.

Its a hardware restriction not a software one and if nowhere supports it (although I know a lot of networks in the UK do, albeit with rather limited coverage) then what's the point? They can't completely future proof these devices without absurd cost to us. And now when the next one comes out the cost of implementing HSUPA will have decreased significantly.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Yeah because then when something goes wrong with it, Verizon has outstanding Customer service....oh wait...

And ATT is the standard of customer service? Both suck. At least with Verizon I will have less reason to call customer service. Go look at the telco ratings. Verizon blows out ATT in virtually every category. With this story you can add another one which they blow out ATT.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Um, driving your scooter on the autobahn or on a Nascar track won't make it any faster.

This limitation wouldn't have been put on with CDMA. It is only GSM smartphones that have it capped. You can make an argument that it would be capped for battery life but there are a whole lot of other phones that can do what the iPhone can do with similar battery life and not be capped.

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
I don't know how accurate it is, but I used the speedtest app on my 3GS. Over 3G I got 1708 kbps download and 329 kbps upload with a ping of 270 ms.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Early 3G was 384kbps DOWN and 64kbps UP.

If we're getting 384kbps up then, IMHO, that's completely acceptable. Better upstream would be nice, obviously, but with current 3G networks you're not going to get much more than 384kbps up in real-world situations anyway.

Especially not on O2 UK :)

Means you're looking at about 43 seconds to upload a 2MB file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.