iPhone 3s battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by taptic, Feb 18, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

taptic

Hi guys,

A guy is offering to give me an iPhone 3s for free because the screen was broken and it wouldn't power on. I can fix the screen, but I'm not sure if I want to invest in it if I won't be able to power it on. I can replace the battery, but before I buy one, is there a way to tell if a new battery will fix it?

Also, what's the diff between iPhone 3 and 3s? And should I make sure I have the right battery and/or screen when buying for this? or are they the same?

Thanks!

2. macrumors 6502

The iPhone 3GS is a whole different phone from the 3G. The parts are different and you must be careful to get the right ones when you purchase them :)

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

ok, and how can I tell if a battery replacement will work? or can't I?

4. macrumors 6502

If it doesnt power on then you really have no clue if a battery will fix it.

It could be because the screen is broken so it doesnt power on, or a plethora of broken parts and it won't power on. Sorry, can't really help you diagnose it. You will need to switch out parts until it powers on.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

taptic

Alright. Thanks for your help!

6. macrumors 6502a

chambone

You could buy the battery first and see if the screen still functions. You could buy a new screen afterwards, since it's easy to replace. And if there are no signs of life you'll be out only five bucks.