Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Update on July 29th, 2010 after One Month of Constant Use:

So far, the white bumper does seem to get dirtier more, which is what I would have assumed for normal everyday use. But I tried cleaning it yesterday evening, with just some water and a clean cloth and just about all the "stains" or dirtiness came off pretty easily. I think that the white bumper or any lighter color bumper for that matter will show scratches and nicks much more easily than the black bumper. (But shouldn't we clean something we use often that touches many different surfaces, sorry i'm anal about cleanliness, haha). The fitment on the bumper still feels the same.

I will try to take updated pictures and post it in the beginning of this post.

For those who have used a bumper, please let us know the condition of yours after a month of use.

******* Below is Original Post *******

I think it's very subjective but I've had both the black and white bumper (which i just received this afternoon). Here are some high quality shots.

Fitment is very good, no play between casing and buttons, the buttons feel like they are extended outward, same feeling.

Update on Material differences between different bumper colors - I have found that the rubber trim on the bumpers (the ones that extend around the edge of the front and rear surfaces of the phone) are different, the one on the white is stiffer than the one on the black. It seems as if the dying process or manufacturing process (mechanical background education guess) makes the white grayish rubber more stiff compared to the black. I believe there are pros and cons to each of them. For the stiff white gray rubber, I feel it won't deflect as much and lose form as quickly over time when compared to the black. Anyone notice this between the different colors? End Update.

If there are other shots you want, let me know! Sorry for some similar shots.

_BAH5419.jpg

_BAH5425.jpg

_BAH5423.jpg

_BAH5426.jpg

_BAH5442.jpg

_BAH5434.jpg

_BAH5428.jpg

_BAH5421.jpg

For BMW ///M Fans, I think that certain wall papers make a bumper look better. The wallpaper is available further down in this thread, but here's a shortcut link to that specific one: Two types of BMW ///M Emblem Wallpapers

_BAH5457.jpg

_BAH5452.jpg

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Great shots! I like the look. I have a black one and just received a white one today which is supposed to be for my wife's white iphone whenever it comes out. I might have to steal the white case from her.

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
Great shots! I like the look. I have a black one and just received a white one today which is supposed to be for my wife's white iphone whenever it comes out. I might have to steal the white case from her.

Do it! And just say, "you are testing it for her to make sure it fits!" haha.

randomerratum

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
wow.
I assumed I wouldn't like any of the bumpers except the black one for my black iP4... That looks great though!

if only apple had a bumper gallery with black phones and not just white ones

Zinger314

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
I've been waiting forever for these: thanks!

I, for one, intentionally want to be seen talking into an ice cream sandwich.

pablo7

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CA.
Looks good, I wonder if it will start showing dark smudges on the rubber/silicone part like the apple headphone cable and start turning a greyish color after a while........:apple:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Looks good, I wonder if it will start showing dark smudges on the rubber/silicone part like the apple headphone cable and start turning a greyish color after a while........:apple:

Then you have the "premium aged and distressed" Gray Bumper.

ocva

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
Thanks for these. This is the same color combo I've elected -- should be arriving this week. Fingers crossed that the bumper arrives first!

I've been looking all over the place for some nice shots of the various colored bumpers in use. Few and far between at this point.

ETA: Wow, I just got in from work, and it looks like this forum has blown up with some nice bumper shots. About time!

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
I've added both front and rear shots now! That should help those who are on the fence decide! :)

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
Great pics! It actually looks really good on the black. I didn't think it would, but the two-tone white with the black iPhone looks really classy. Thanks for the pics!

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Nice pics! I never thought white bumper would look this good on black. I might get it if I ever get ip4.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
Is the material the type that collects lots of dust and is hard to pull out of your pocket or is it smooth?

mitchleeh

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Is the material the type that collects lots of dust and is hard to pull out of your pocket or is it smooth?

^ my biggest concern - does it come in and out of the pocket nicely? I have the griffin reveal or something (from best buy - taking it back in less than 30 days) and it bugs the hell out of me. I can't stand putting it in & taking it out of my pocket.

I would think the softer (grey-er) rubber might cause the friction with the pocket but I hope I am wrong!

PLEASE let me know!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.