Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
So, as I was opening up my iPhone 4 for a second time the plastic tab that takes the battery out just ripped right off. How can I get the battery out without damaging it? I tried using a guitar pick to pry it out; I didn't want to puncture the battery. Please, I need to fix my phone, is there any other way to take the battery out?

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
So, as I was opening up my iPhone 4 for a second time the plastic tab that takes the battery out just ripped right off. How can I get the battery out without damaging it? I tried using a guitar pick to pry it out; I didn't want to puncture the battery. Please, I need to fix my phone, is there any other way to take the battery out?

Why did you do this in the first place?

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
Why did you do this in the first place?

To replace the LED screen. D: I had ordered a white one but didn't realize I would have to get a whole new screen for it to work, since the screen doesn't come off the front plate. Of course I only realized that after I took the whole thing apart. When I put it back together I guess the digitizer cable got bent because the top quarter of my touch screen doesn't respond to scrolling or most taps. I was hoping to fix it or order a new screen to fix it.

Yeah, my own stupid fault.

boxstboy

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2009
I'm sure if you took it to Apple and explained what you did, they'd give you a new phone, right? :)

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009
I'm sure that disassembling your phone voids the warranty. Hopefully you have learned a valuable lesson while reminding us all that actions have consequences.

mytran80

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
Do you have any grip on the tab at all? Try using a long needle clip tool for like auto or home repair ,to grab the tab and pull it out, let us know

boxstboy

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2009
I thought the battery was soldered on anyway. But yeah, I wouldn't open up an 800 dollar phone and f*k with it when it's under warranty. :confused:

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
Agreed, OP c'mon if you want a white one so bad, you should just wait for it to come out.

It's not that I wanted one "so bad", it's just that I saw the white fronts were like 10 bucks so I decided why not.

Also, obviously my phone isn't under warranty anymore. ;__;

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
I wonder, can I pay Apple to fix it even though I opened it myself? Their "out of warranty" option? Or should I go with a third-party repair site like iresq? They're only $25 cheaper...

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
If you don't tell Apple that you damaged your phone and it just stopped working (ie if there's no obvious sign that you opened it up) then they would probably swap out your phone.

^only works if you don't believe in karma, lol.

I think the out of warranty charge at Apple is $199.

If you really want to swap out the panels for white ones send in the phone to iResQ. They'll fix your phone ($175- they'll change the entire LCD assembly, including digitizer) and/or swap out the black panels for white ones ($249).

I think the 'white conversion' consists of changing the screen assembly, which means you wouldn't have to pay $175 for the LCD assembly. Not sure though- you should email and ask.

Links (iResQ):

iPhone4 Repairs

White conversion

Screen assembly repair

upsguy27

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Utah
Fixed. Walked into Apple, told them bluntly that I opened it, it's out of warranty, and jailbroken, and that it's all my fault. I expected them to charge me $200, obviously, but they actually gave me a whole new iPhone for free! I think I've learned my lesson, haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.