iPhone 4 Black.. fingerprint magnet vs white?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xxjonoxx, Jun 7, 2010.

1. macrumors member

I was looking at all the pictures engadget took for this news story and it seems like to me the black version seems to look better on the front screen due to the sensors and screen blending in with the body.. but after looking at these pictures, it seems the black version is a really easy target for fingerprints.

Black

White

But hey, maybe they cleaned the white version before they took the pictures? Anyone got a better example than this?

2. macrumors 6502

idk, but i didn't mind the white 3g/3gs, but personally i think the white iphone 4 is butt ugly with that extra grill (ithink for the sensors)

But everyone has their own opinion.. so idk, i love the black one

3. macrumors 65816

wingnut8

The white probably won't show them as much as the black. It's going to be tough to decide what to get. I really dislike the front of the white, but the back looks nice.

4. macrumors 6502a

Craiger

This is my exact dilemma. White front looks goofy and black back looks nasty.... Right now I'm leaning towards white because I think a lot of the issue with the front is just that it looks different from the iPhones I've had the last 3 years.

5. thread starter macrumors member

The black one is almost my favorite so far, but if the black is a magnet for dirty and smudges, I'm not looking forward to cleaning it 20 times a day, lol.

6. macrumors 6502

I've found if you keep your hands clean and not oily, its actually prett easy not to make any smudges...

But i'll look at them closely at the store but i hate the white front of the phone, even if that funky grill wasn't their, i hate the fact that its white and black (screen)

7. macrumors 6502

White looks very distracting from the front.

8. macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Wow, the white iPhone looks so slick and sexy. I think I just made my final choice.

Sorry for hijacking your thread; does anyone know which iPhone will look nicer (as in "newer") after a year of moderate use? Ta.

9. macrumors 603

troop231

Black.

10. macrumors 6502

well, while the black one will show more smudges (that can easily be wiped off) the white over time will show more dirtyness... like picture a dirty white car... it looks awfull.. that being said, the glass on the new phones probably won't pick up any lasting dirt or grime or yellowing, and if it does it can probably be cleaned with a good carefull bath :) just i wouldn't actualy put it in water

11. macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Which iPhone do you think scratches will be more visible on? I'm not worried about smudges/dirt.

12. macrumors 6502

hmm, well the thing is from the video, i kind of got the idea that the glass they were using is pretty damn good.... almost unscratchable :)

But that may not be the case

i'm actually not sure... becuase the scratch would be on glass, not the black or white coating... might have to ask someone else...

the lighter color of the white may becuase its obviously brighter than the black make it harder to see the scratches if you had any...

13. macrumors 6502a

Alchematron

Slider Case by InCase

Problem solved

14. macrumors 68030

Someone forgot to wipe the mayonnaise off before they started pawing that black one.

15. macrumors 604

mcdj

yeah. people said the same thing about the 3G when it came out...fingerprint magnet...oh no! a week later everyone had a case.

16. macrumors 65816

I'm still torn between both. White looks cheap, but I said that with the 3GS last year and picked the white one. I have to see it in person.

17. macrumors 68040

I dumped my case a week after getting my 3G, and I never used one for my 3GS. I won't use one for the iPhone 4 either.

I think I will be ordering the white. The initial impression is that it looks odd, but I think that is a function of familiarity. After a few views on various websites, I now think the white looks better.

/Jim

18. macrumors 65816

Knowimagination

I'm kind of lean in toward white cause it stands out from the older iPhones and it could look good with apples bumper case thing

19. macrumors 68030

All shiny black devices are fingerprint magnets.

20. macrumors regular

I find the white iPhone 4 to be incredibly ugly, so I'll take the fingerprints in exchange for the sexy beast that is the black iPhone 4.

21. macrumors 6502a

saccento

slider case scratches the hell out of the phone. I put one on my new 3G when I first got it, and the back was all stuffed.

22. macrumors member

I really wish Apple left the front of the white iPhone black like the 3G and the 3GS. The white front just doesn't do it for me... and the screen looks so much better when surrounded by black.
    I've always been super gung ho white for iPhones and back before that, iPods. But for the first time I'm reconsidering the white...

23. macrumors 68030

I agree. But what I would really like is a flat black phone. Shiny black devices show every mark on them.

24. macrumors 65816

You're right. The white front looks...weird.

25. macrumors newbie

This is the hardest decision i've ever made over a phone. Apple should have made it black in the front white in the back. the white on the front looks cheap but the white on the back looks so nice and right now im leaning towards the black but i think ill end of with white.