iPhone 4: calls while cellular data turned of

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by so.damn.lost, Jun 27, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 27, 2010
    I have a verizon iphone 4. If I turn off my cellular data and am just connected via wifi I can make calls. My question is are those calls free? For instance is there a charge if I were to call Europe from the US via wifi? Alternatively, if I'm traveling abroad and am in have access to wifi and wish to call home are those calls free as well? Thanks for your help.
  2. macrumors 603

Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Turning off your Cellular Data does just that, turns off your Data only (so no internet unless your on WiFi), but the calls still come in/go out via 3G regardless if your on WiFi or not.

So no, your call will not be free.

What you need is a VOiP app like Skype to make long distance calls for free/small fee.
  3. macrumors 68030

Feb 4, 2009
    NY State
    Its sort of common sense by the name...are phone calls considered data? No so you will be able to make phone calls and send text messages so long as they are not MMS messages (ones that include pictures or other bits of data). There is a reason for airplane mode and cellular data off switches..Next you won't have any sort of cellular service in Europe what so ever since the iPhone 4 (CDMA2000 model or "Verizon iPhone") does not support GSM and there is like 0 CDMA2000 networks in Europe other than like 1 or 2 I can think of but they don't even use a supported frequency. To make calls in Europe for free or cheaper you need wifi and of course a VoIP (Voice over Internet Phone) app.
  4. macrumors 601

Jan 16, 2008
    Bristol, UK

Double Bingo!