iphone 4 CDMA (verison) on Boost Mobile Network?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Matt V, Jan 20, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Would a iphone 4 CDMA verison phone work on the Boost Mobile CDMA network?

First post here, love the site.

Thanks, Matt

2. macrumors 68040

Wicked1

No, because they have locked the phone to Verizon, because Sprint also uses CDMA but they can't use a Verizon iPhone 4 either.

You will have to wait and see what they do, but I thought Boost Mobile is using Verizon or Sprint's towers anyway? not exactly sure

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

boost uses sprint's towers and it is CDMA.... i thought that maybe a unlocked verison cdma iphone might work, but just wanted to ask

Thanks, Matt

4. macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

My understanding is it could work, but both Sprint/Boost and Verizon would have to "go the extra mile" as far as unlocking and then registering it on the new network.

In the end, not likely.

5. macrumors 6502

wingsabr

It could work, but someone has to flash it to work with boost/metro pcs. Happens with droids all the time; especially those with bad ESN's.

6. macrumors 6502

It is definitely possible but it will require quite a bit of hackery. The phone has to be flashed to boost mobile's software settings as stated above. I have no doubt this will eventually happen once the phone is jailbroken and the baseband is hacked by people in the jailbreaking community. Additionally, the ESN of the phone has to be registered with Boost and that will probably be a challenge depending on how willing Boost is to add an outside ESN to their database.