iPhone 4 home button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sdahe, Jan 24, 2011.

1. macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello,

Is it me or my iPhone 4 is the only one with problems with the home button?... the home button doesn't respond like it should. How can I fix that?

2. macrumors 68020

sviato

I've had my iphone 4 for a month now (as of yesterday) and I've noticed that lately the home button is becoming unresponsive.

I'll press it and nothing will happen. Sometimes I'll press it to exit an app and it won't do anything, then I'll press it again a few secs later and it'll open the multitasking bar.

It seems like its functions lags sometimes, or doesn't work at all. Note that I did say sometimes, the button still works but there is a noticeable issue.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

That's exactly what's happening to my iphone...

4. macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

This just started last week on my iPhone4 too. It is 7 months old, having gotten it on release day in June or July or whenever it was.

I backup regularly to iTunes in fear of the day that it all of a sudden ceases functioning.

5. macrumors 68020

AbSoluTc

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

So this means I can take my iphone to warranty and change it?

7. macrumors 68040

acfusion29

8. macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Have any of you actually gone to an Apple store for a replacement or called them?

9. macrumors 6502

Yea mine does the same, it is annoying. I never had this problem with the 3GS.

10. macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

If you're experiencing this problem then just take your phone in to apple and they'll replace it.

11. macrumors 6502

I took mine to apple last week and it started working fine. Did do the whole day and now started doing it again. Guess I'll have to go back and see if it happens again. They didn't change the iPhone because it didnt replicate the error.

12. macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

You can't take your iPhone to "warranty" and change it

You take it to the Apple Store and have it replaced silly :p

13. macrumors member

My iPhone was doing the same thing. Don't wait around for a software fix.

I exchanged mine at the Apple Store and the new one is working perfectly every time (for now anyway). I also used the same backup to restore from on my new iPhone. So that goes to show that it wasn't something in my backup file.

14. Guest

Alaerian

And thus is why I'm glad I'm still on my 2G - excellent build quality, never any problems :)

15. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

:eek:... yeah, silly me!!!. Ooopss!!!

16. macrumors 6502

While out on a road trip, this home button issue is really starting to become annoying. I think I may have to get exchanged after all.

I'm interested in wiping the phone clean to see of the problem goes away, but does apple restore your new phone to your old phone's setup at the store?

17. macrumors member

No.

18. macrumors regular

My home button is a hot mess as well. The only reason why I think it is somehow related to software and/or app, is that I have had ZERO issues when waking the phone from sleep. If the home button was acting up, I'd think it would be an all or nothing type of issue. I can't imagine that if it was going bad, or was bad, that i'd be able to wake if from sleep flawlessly, then have issue with apps, switchign pages, etc... Some days it works better than others, and I can't isolate it 100% do what I think may or may not be the issue.. I don't really wanna "swap" it for another, seeing how at this point, I still beleive it's a software bug... Call me kooky, but I'll hold out for a little while longer...

19. macrumors 68000

milani

It's a bug. Submit a bug report to Apple and wait for the next iOS update. The keyboard is also buggered half the time (press F and the iPhone types S). Again, it's a bug.

20. Nothlit, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

macrumors regular

This happened to me with my iPad. Eventually, through some troubleshooting of my own and a visit to the Genius Bar, I discovered it is usually the result of an app crash which leaves it in this misbehaving state. Holding down the home + power buttons together for 10+ seconds until the device resets has fixed the problem for me every time.

21. macrumors regular

I think this might be a software issue. When I was running 4.2.1, I constantly experienced weird home button behavior. Sometimes a single press would bring up multi-tasking bar, sometimes a double press would take me to the home screen. After a restart the phone seemed to be better. Throughout the day as I used more apps it would get worse. I am now running the latest 4.3 beta and it seems a lot better now. I would wait for the next update and see if your results are the same as mine.

22. macrumors 6502

walterwhite

Usually all the home button issues... were fixed with a replacement phone... just back it up before going into the apple store for you r Genius Bar Appt. They cant move your data....

23. macrumors 6502

Yea it does seem more like a software issue. I have definitely experienced the single press = double press episode before as well. I will hold out for 4.3 I guess for now since everything else on the phone works well.

24. macrumors member

I've had my replacement phone for 3 weeks now.

When I got it, I reverted to my backup of my old phone.

Haven't had a single mis-fire yet.

I'm using it the same way I always have and running the same apps. It's not a software problem folks. It's purely hardware related.

Get your iPhone exchanged and you'll see the difference.

25. macrumors member

Well I am glad to see it wasn't just me. I suddenly had crazy problems with the home button last week. I was going to take it in this week, but I guess my phone heard me say it over the weekend, because I haven't had an issue since. So maybe your phone will work if you threaten it? :p