iPhone 4 Low signal fix via Apple "Genius"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ihawkfreak, Jun 25, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

ihawkfreak

I went into my local Apple store today to see what they recommend to help with my no/low signal while holding my phone like I have since I was toddler. They of course want me to purchase an iPhone Bumper that they are currently sold out of or putting a piece of DUCT TAPE!!! on the corner of my phone for a cheap fix! Great suggestion from a real genius. Duct taping a $700 phone...Thanks Apple.

2. macrumors 6502

hahaha! nice.. that's really GENIUS... :D

3. macrumors regular

silly boy

1.) You walk into the store, asking for help with a signal issue.

2.) Apple employees suggest the ONLY FIXES that will help you RIGHT AWAY.
    (They have no control over the device, cell provider signal, or on-hand warranty units)

3.) You insult said Apple employees - when you are the one who left the store with the same issues you arrived with.

So...um....yeah.

4. macrumors regular

did you pay $700 for the phone?

5. macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

Come on -you really think that Duct Tape was an acceptable answer from an Apple Store employee? That's ridiculous. Maybe they should just suggest "use a handsfree kit", I mean that would 'fix' the problem too, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

6. macrumors member

I called...they told me the same thing.

I put piece of scotch tape over area, used exacto knife...and it's great now.

As the Tech support guy told me "it's a band aid until they come up with a fix"

He hinted that most likely people will be offered a free bumper...or of course, return it.

7. macrumors member

your nuts you paid $700

8. macrumors 6502

flippin duck tape, thats real genius ???

9. macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

clear fingernail polish

...or pink if you prefer

10. macrumors 6502a

Scotch tape does not fix the problem for me. It really feels to me like less of the antenna arrays getting bridged as the whole antenna itself being covered up (as if everything needed to make it work was in that corner).

11. macrumors 6502a

I went back into the Apple Store (they know I have no life, hahaha, nah just a day off hanging out at the mall) and 2 people there said that the signal issue is sporadic. I showed them mine and wouldn't you know it didn't do it at the Apple Store :rolleyes: just 1 bar lower. But anyway they said I HAVE TO BUY a case for it if I'm that worried about low signal. They had no cases and suggested I go to Best Buy and just get any old case and one guy overheard us and showed me his i4 with some decent case he said he ordered online last week for $3 and it solved the signal problem.

bottom line is you gotta put your i4 in a case.

12. macrumors regular

You mean they didn't give you a patch on-site? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

13. macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

you can fix anything with bailing wire, duct tape and a hammer........you could build a nuke with those three items if you Macgyver!

14. macrumors 6502a

i-John

Why did you go ask if you already knew what a good fix was?

The simple answer is if you want to handle the phone, get something that will cover the area so your skin can't act as a conductor.

15. macrumors 6502a

i-John

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

16. macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

If it moves and it shouldn't, there's duct tape. If should move and it won't, there's WD-40.

17. macrumors regular

The easiest solution is to never ever go for tech support to a "genius" typically you shouldn't trust someone if they have more than 5 pimples on their face.

18. macrumors regular

I "fixed" mine with tape, it's scotch tape but the shiny 100% transparent kind not the "magic" flat/matte kind, that kind didn't work. I suspect clear glossy packing tape would do the trick too.

I at least can use it until there is a fix or I decide I need to return it...

Hoping for a software fix... seems something software-signal processing related to me.

When I have 5 bars I can't get the signal to go down at ALL by holding the corner or any other area, if I was indeed "shorting" out the antenna you would expect some movement.

However if I am in a 3-4 bar area it goes down all the way to no service then you back up to 3-4 bars when I let go, so either its a different modulation on some of the towers or the Phone is having a fit/crashing out trying to hold onto the weaker signal/interference.

19. macrumors regular

Duct tape? wth.. At least electrical tape.. geez.. :rolleyes: