Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewirelessboyz

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
Same Issue

I had the same issue a couple days ago.. I had installed a carbon fiber sticker around my frame. Once I realized that the sticker was covering the mic on top I removed and of course it works fine again.. You can replace the top mic and it will work fine.. This option is of course not for everyone..

Watch video for more info..

Good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohGiuinNX6c

kc5deb

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2009
Just noticed today that my speakerphone has quit working... Then tried facetime and recording a video... no audio...

I've had my iphone 4 since the week it came out, and just over a month out of warranty, this crap happens. I've had the otterbox case on it since it first came out, and I baby the thing. When I take it out of the case, it looks brand new with no scratches...

My nearest apple store is about 4 hours away, and I won't have a chance to make it there until 2 more weeks. Which by that time, it won't be worth spending the money to replace it since the iphone 5 will soon be here.

I love all 3 of my macs, my ipad 2 and all 2 iphones I've had (including this one), and I've never had a problem one with any of them until now. I hate to sound leery of the next iphone, but, I better not have the thing break on me right out of warranty like this one, or I'm going back to a crappy old flip phone. If I had dropped it 2-3 times a day, had a flimsy little rubber bumper case around it, used it to drive nails into some cabinetry, I can understand. But for it to just quit all the sudden worries me...

stbrown

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
Same issue

I had the same problem with mine and in the end I had to get apple to replace it (had 2 weeks left on my warranty).

As another person mentioned, its probably caused by dust getting stuck in the noise cancelling mic at the top of the phone. I was able to clear it out but it ended up only working for 1 day.

You can try compressed air or try whats done in this video and see if it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyJI2OdJPEw

Paul200

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
Same Issue

Oh My! It happened to me and its not good news.
When I make calls I can hear people but they cannot hear me at all. I was actually in the middle of a call when this happened.

I’ve tried using Bluetooth hands free and wired hands free all without any luck. I have updated latest software...still no help :(

So I went to the apple store today and the nice man in the blue polo shirt took the phone to make a test call. 3 minutes later he appears and says "Yep, your microphone is not working" and "you will need a new phone"

Worse news was yet to come...

I'm out of warranty by 2 months! NOOOOO....... :mad:

He didn't even offer any other option than a replacement.
This is what bothers me...it could have been many things, right? Loose wire/connection maybe? Software? dust blocking the mic? He knows what the problem is or he would have tried to find out why it does not work.

After getting home and searching the problem I am extremely annoyed that so many other people are having the same issue.

It looks like apple have some bad hardware in the phones, I’m so fricking mad!

I have no working phone now

This video I found is the repair, however its way out of my comfort zone as a fix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-n1LJEK3PM

Good luck,

All the best
Paul

ksl82

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
Try the iPod App

I had the same problem and it was a bug with the iPod app. See here:

http://bluescreensolutions.blogspot.com/2011/11/iphone-nobody-can-hear-me.html

BrookDaCrook

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
Found a solution!!!

Okay so I've found the solution for all of you who's having this problem after having your phones taken a part for some reason. its simple, its free and will save u money if you are brave. But I must tell you it does involve opening up your phone. The problem is one simple plug being loose.
I mean you could take it back, but they'll simply charge you for their mistake, which is, excuse my french, Bull ****!
Anyways for those that are brave, turn the phone upside down, pop out the two screws with a micro mini screw driver, The ones used for eye glasses. Simply slide the back of your phone up and off. Locate the camera piece at the top right corner, remove the metal cover directly to the right of it. Under their u will see 3 plugs located right next to each other. Simply press down on them all to ensure they are snug. usually until u hear a snap. And presto! it works!

For more details on how to open your phone with visuals go to youtube.com and search "Iphone glass replacement", and follow the steps to open it! I hope this helps!
:)

Susiiee16

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
I found the problem let me know if this is what it was

Okay I did some research and I figure it all out no it's not a hardware or issue or a software issue it's actually kind of simple*
There's a new mic and that would be at the tip next to the headphone jack the little hole if there's something covering that hole no sound goes through I have slick wraps so it was being covered I took it off and did a video record test and the audio went through :) try it for your self when recording a video just tape that hole or put ur figure just to test it out and you will see. Hope this was some useful information.

Note I did 2 iPhone 4s replacements and the same all because my case and slick wraps

sigbiz

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
do check out the dirt in the hole first!

Susiiee16 's solution worked for me!

I have a vague recall that I was less than pleased when found a bit of food on the end of my iPhone but gave phone a wipe and did not think any more about it - not knowing the little pin-prick size hole next to the jack socket was the hands-free mic.

Cleaned it gently with a needle and hands free and is now working. The great thing is that trying this is free of charge and takes a couple of minutes.

BTW some apps like Skype must continue to use the main mic as it was unaffected by the problem.

Brunomacc

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2012
I fix it myself, just press the right top hard

Well, I was with a microfone problem during calls (iphone 4), was working fine in other functions like recorder and camera, just not working on calls.
I couldn´t believe the number of iphone with this problem around the word, apple don´t support us, and my waranty expired just a month ago.
I have seen lots of discuss about the topic, and one costumer solve the problem pressing very hard the right top of it, pressing with fingers the place where the camera is located. For my surprise it works!! Don´t know why.
Otherwise I will sue apple, cause I believe it´s a project error, or manufacturing defect.
They don´t have a channel for complaining, it´s about 900 dollars here in Brasil, and they want about 450 dollars to fix it. They should give me a new one.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
This has just started happening to me.

Truth be told, I love the iPhone. But they are full of problems!!!

My brothers iPhone has a faulty Home Button, my first iPhone had also a faulty Lock button. This new one they gave me, the camera stopped working, and now the mic is not working.

Really, nothing like an old Nokia as a cell-phone.

iver7044

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
My speaker does not work when talking to somone on the phone. Two people have called me and I put them on speaker and they just kept saying...

Hello, hello, hello!

It works fine with voice memo but not when narrating a video.

Say problem here. When I call anyone on speaker or regular, no one can hear me or it is really faint. My voice memo is ok, but i can tell it's recording at a very low decibel. I just tested the audio on my video recording and that seems to be working fine.

I am assuming that is using a different mic than the phone and voice memo? Maybe it's a software issue? Anybody have similar problems?

iver7044

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
People can't hear me

I am having the same issue as most people here. The mic does not work when I make a normal call or have someone on speaker. I can hear the person on the other line just fine, but they can't hear me or my voice is barely audible.

My mic seems to work fine when I use it for recording video. However it is very faint when recording voice memos.

Does anyone have any solutions to fix this yourself? I am taking it to the Apple store tomorrow to see if they can diagnose the problem.

Djbringitback

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
I had this same problem where I could talk on the phone regularly or through my head phone mic. But if i put it on speaker phone it would not work. Called apple they informed me the phone had water damage and would have to pay $199 to have it replaced. Went to a local shop the guy told me he could fix it for $80. Did some research and found out a sure shot way of fixing this. I purchased a headphone audio jack flex cable for the 4s and watched a few YouTube videos on how to install it. The cable cost me $3 and I completed this job in about an hr. trust me my phone works perfectly speaker phone and sound during face time and video recording. Hope it all works out for you guys.

bennett7168

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
San Diego
No Sound On Video-This Works!

The solution is I think for most of
The iPhones with mic not work during speakerphone or video recording is check that the little pin hole on top by the headphone port is not
Clogged or blocked by something. I had this problem, looked at the hole, and it was plugged with crap. I took a needle and just cleared it out. Everything
Works again. Apple geniuses my ass.

Needle cleaning worked and my video now has sound. Hard to believe that little tiny dot next to the earphone jack is a microphone. My genius vote goes to weidy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.