iPhone 4 mic problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tokiidokii, Jul 11, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

hi,

not sure if anyone else has this problem but i pretty much just found this out. apparently people can't hear me when i'm using the phone but once i enable the speakerphone, they can hear me fine.

my sister told me it sounds like i'm talking from a distance. at first i didn't believe her so i call my other sister and she kept asking me to speak up. i turn on speaker phone and she said she can hear me then i told her i was going to turn off the speaker and when i started talking to her, she said she could barely hear me.

i tested this out myself and sadly i confirmed it. i used my landline to call my cell then i put the landline on mute. when i spoke through my cell phone, i can barely hear myself on my landline phone.

this was my second phone exchange and i'm hoping i can replace it. i set up apple to call me back in the morning... i really hope 3rd time's a charm :(

2. macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Just to eliminate the obvious, are you sure you're not covering up the mic? It's the small grill at the bottom left. Also, do you have a case or other obstruction that might be covering it?

3. thread starter macrumors regular

no, i'm not covering anything up. this is actually my second iphone 4. the first one i got on launch day and it had the yellow blotches (but no issue with the microphone at all). i waited a week but the blotches never left so i exchanged it. this new phone is perfect except the whole mic issue.

i do have a bumper and i tried all my test with and without and they were all the same. i even held the mic directly in front of my mouth and i still got the same result. when i turn on speaker phone, everything sounds fine.

i've restored my phone twice but that didn't help. hopefully when i speak to the apple person in the morning, i will get a replacement in the apple store nearby. the only reason it took me this long to figure out there was a problem was because i started using my bt with this phone and i also used the speakerphone a lot.

4. macrumors newbie

Same problem

I am having exactly the same problem. Tried updating/restoring setting up the phone as new not using a backup and still have the issue.

Now waiting to get Vodafone to swap the handset.