iPhone 4 Overheating with Otterbox Defender Installed

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by borntomac448, Aug 12, 2010.

1. borntomac448
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

borntomac448

I have had an otter box on my iPhone 4 for about two weeks and have noticed that the phone has been overheating about every other day. I reboot daily, and work in a cool office environment. A matter of fact it sits on a cool glasstop desk. Have any of you heard of this? Please help. Thanking you all in advance.

2. rwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

rwilliams

The case is built like a fortress. I'm not surprised that the phone is overheating.

3. vivithemage
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

4. mlts22
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

That is odd, because I use an Otterbox Defender case on my iPhone 4, have been for a couple weeks, and have had no issues with this whatsoever.

5. borntomac448
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

borntomac448

I never had this problem with the 3gs. The phone is not hot when I take it out of the case to check after I get the warning. It is cool.

6. Irish Rose
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

I don't think it was. My bother uses an otter box case on his 3GS, and doesn't have any overheating issues.

7. UCLAKoolman
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

What do you mean by overheating? As in the actual warning screen appears on your phone? My iPhone 4 gets quite warm when I play a graphically intensive game for 30 min, or if I walk outside in the AZ heat while on the phone.

Compared to the 3GS, the iPhone 4 is a much slimmer device. I'm sure you'd be more likely to feel the heat generated from it's battery.

8. borntomac448
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

borntomac448

I get the warning. The phone is actually cool when I get the warning.

9. UCLAKoolman
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

That's not good! The defender is the toughest case out there, but if it's causing your phone to heat up... that stinks.

10. Tom G.
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I use the Otterbox Defender for my iPhone 4 and have not had one bit of trouble.

I also used it on my iPhone 3Gs and had no problem there either.

I work in an un-airconditions work place where the temp today was 91 with a heat index of 102 degrees and had no problems. I've also used my iPhone 4 on GPS while geocaching and had it on for long periods of time, plugged into the cigarette lighter and although the phone felt a little warm no warnings came up. It was of course at the time in its Otterbox Defender case.

I think you have troubles elsewhere.

11. Jayman34187
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

12. Unteligent1
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I would say this means it is a problem with the phone, and has nothing to do with the case. Maybe problems with the temp sensor?

13. TruckdriverSean
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I would try running the phone for a few days in a regular case to see if the problem continues.

Sounds like a phone problem to me, but that will help rule out the case.

14. Sherifftruman
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I know I remember seeing a fair number of posts from people right after the iPhone 4 came out with similar issues. Phone said it was overheating, yet it felt cool to teh touch, even without a case. I bet there is some number with faulty sensors and coincidentally, yours is one. I would return it.