iPhone 4 Pictures Being Sent Sideways?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Snowman3459, Jun 24, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

I have tested this now and it seems to do it every time.

When I send a picture to my email it also turns sideways even sending different sized images.

Also, when sending pictures messages my girlfriend confirmed the pictures are sideways every time. I also tried rotating the picture myself using Photogene but it is still being sent sideways.

iOS4 issue?

2. thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Do you have your screen rotation locked to portrait? Try unlocking it, taking the picture again, then sending it.

See what happens.

4. macrumors member

Happened to me this morning no matter what size I selected to email. You're not the only one bro. Oh and my orientation was unlocked, cuz i just figured out how to lock it.lol

5. macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Yeah, it's happening to many people, there was a thread posted earlier today about this same issue, the thread is probably bumped down a few pages by now, but I'd venture to say it's happening to everyone..

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope no lock.

I just sent another picture and she said it was straight, but this time I used the HD camera instead of the front facing VGA.

There might be an issue with the VGA camera.

7. macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Hmmm....

Well, if it's not something obvious, then it's probably a software bug. We'll probably have an update in a few weeks at the latest that will fix some of these early issues.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can anyone test there VGA and HD cameras to see if BOTH send sideways?

Here's my experience:

HD Camera- Sends sideways to email, but is straight when using MMS

VGA- Have not tested email, but sends sideways through MMS.

Update: VGA is sending straight via email

9. macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I used the HD camera sent it to my gmail account, in the email the preview of the picture was straight. But when I clicked on "view" that's when it shifted sideways. If you click on "download" and download the photo it also comes out straight...

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Same. I just sent another and when viewing the picture, it was in fact sideways.

11. macrumors member

I am having this issue when copying the photos off of the phone onto the pc. My videos even came out sideways.

12. macrumors newbie

Sideways Pictures

Hi, I took a bunch of photos with my iPhone 3G running iOS4 and subsequently posted them on my blog. When viewed on my iPhone 3G, my iPhone 4 and my iPad, they appear correctly oriented.

However, when viewed on a Mac or PC, on either Firefox or Safari, they are sideways.

13. macrumors 65816

palmerc2

FYI, when taking pics / videos it doesn't matter if orientation lock is on.
    When you put it on it's side it will respond appropriately

I don't know what it could be. Submit feedback to apple

14. macrumors newbie

15. jyj
    macrumors member

i just forwarded an e-mail that i received with a picture in it to a friend. when i got a reply from her, the photo came back sideways...even though it was straight in the original email.

16. macrumors member

This happened to me as well. I took pics of my 3G to sell online, and all the pictures came out sideways. You could just rotate them, but it's a hassle to have that extra step.

17. macrumors 6502a

spyda

whudafxup

Yeah... when I send them to my e-mail they are sideways.

18. macrumors member

I have same problem, is there a fix ? Do all iPhone 4 do it ?

19. macrumors 6502

powaking

This happens to me too.

This is a stretch but has ANYONE tried restoring the iPhone4 to the ios4 thats on Apples website? Is it a possibility that the iOS4 that was put on the phone pre-shipping has some of these quirks (antenna, proximity etc)???? Its a crap shoot but just throwing it out there if someone is willing to try.

20. macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Being an early adopter of all the previous versions of the iPhone... So far the iPhone 4 seems to be extremely problematic...

21. macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I did a restore yesterday hoping it would fix my battery issue, pictures still are sideways.. not sure what's going on, but the joys of using the phone are beginning to turn sour..

22. macrumors member

Mine does it as well. :(
    Does anyone know if a 3GS on 4.0 does this too?

We need to submit this to Apple.

23. macrumors 68000

Thought it was just me doing something wrong. But when I mms to non iPhone users they tell me it's sideways. When copying to my pc I noticed they were sideways also

Uploading to sites they come out fine though

24. macrumors member

e-mailed a photo to wife, she asked why I sent it sideways?? Why did I?? Screen lock is not on!

25. macrumors 601

I took two photos using my iPhone 4 of a 3GS that I am selling. I emailed them to my computer from my iPhone. One of them did this very same thing.

True that every OS version ever released has had some weird bug so this should be expected. I remember when photos saved from the net would be too grainy to even look at.