iPhone 4 recording video - sound quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluechipBMW, Oct 3, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Feb 12, 2008
    I have recently been taking more videos than photos with my iPhone 4 but noticed the sound is barely audible. Am I doing something wrong or is there a setting I need to set?

I have no issues with talking on speaker sphone, play music, or watching shows through the speaker but when it comes to quality from recording a video I can barely hear it when playing it back.

Is this a known issue or has it happened to anyone else? Is it possible that there is something wrong with my iPhone 4? I did a search on the forum but didn't come up with anything.

Any idea?
  2. macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    Are you perhaps covering the mic with your finger when you are shooting the video?
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 12, 2008
    The thought did cross my mind but I confirmed I wasn't by doing other tests and I still get the same results.

I also found a video when I first purchased the iPhone 4 and it sounds great and there are no issues. Is the mic for recording the same as when I record voice memos? I have no issues with sound quality when recording and playing back voice memos.
  4. macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2010
    Knoxville, TN
    There should of been no video when u first buy the iphone4 unless u made a video with another iphone that you have had.
  5. macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2010
    this might be a little off topic, but hows the sound quality on the voice memos? i assume it would be the same as the audio from the videos.
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 12, 2008
    I actually meant to say I did a quick video when I first bought the iPhone 4. It didn't come with one.

There were no quality sound issues with the voice memos but just with the videos I was taking.

I took my wifes iphone 4 and did a comparison as a test and confirmed her sound quality was a lot better than mine. I did another test by covering each mic so I can narrow it down. I found the sound quality didn't change on my wifes when I had the bottom covered but it did change when the mic on the top was covered. I went back to my phone and blew in the top mic and banged gently to see if there was anything maybe blocking it. I took another video quality and found that its now working! I guess something got in it or was blocking it and I didn't notice it. I'm Happy again!
  7. macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2009
    Your iphone must be defective. The video/audio quality on the ip4 is superb. I personally think the audio quality is even better than the video. It takes ALOT of noise for it to distort.

edit: didnt read your last post.
  8. macrumors member

Jul 14, 2010
    Sound quality and noise cancellation mic seems to be rather amazing for the iPhone 4. I was at a club the other night with the doof doof making it near impossible to hear people next to you. Used the phone to record a video and played it back later that night when I got home. You could actually hear the music and it even picked up a comment from a friend sitting a few feet away.

Took more videos and a few I kind of blocked the mic with my thumb :( But otherwise when it was clear, sound was great.
  9. macrumors regular

Jun 18, 2010
    vid record sound quality now BAD

mine was good a month ago.... now it seems to be awful.

I recorded 3 vids this week and on playback, all I'm getting is background noise, and even recording people 4 feet from the phone, it's muffled and far away. I hold the phone on the long sides away from the mics.

a month ago, I recorded a political rally and it was perfectly clear, even in a crowd of 1000's. I don't know what has changed.