Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spazo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Hey,

I need your knowledge about iphone.

My new iphone 4 do something strange. Sometime my bottom speaker its not working and the sound come out from the ear speaker only !

The only way to fix it is to reboot the phone... It happened 3-4 times in 5 days.

Do you think I can get a new phone from apple ? Did any of you guys had this issue ?

Thx

spazo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
music playback, game sound... everything. Even the little sound when I unlock my phone

I'm not on a call when its happening

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
never heard of this issue either....

the 'ear-speaker' is exclusively used for phonecalls, i wouldn't believe they are in any way 'hard-wired' / 'hard-coded' so either a soft- or hardware defect might mix them up.

i once had the phone believe i had headphones plugged in while i really hadn't, thereby not having sound coming from the ear-speaker. (just had to plug / unplug actual headphones to resolve this)

but the other way around? ... doubtful, actually :/

mattkowalski

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2010
Does sound highly strange....

... just to discount the obvious, are you making sure you're not covering the speaker at the bottom with your finger? As it's worth bearing in mind that there's only one speaker at the bottom of the phone - the other is a microphone.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've never heard of this, ever on any of the iPhones.

Evgenyy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
This is a well known problem with Skype. After you have used Skype and then background it, all sounds will come out of the ear speaker. To rectify, just make a call on Skype and change it to speakerphone.

spazo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
This is a well known problem with Skype. After you have used Skype and then background it, all sounds will come out of the ear speaker. To rectify, just make a call on Skype and change it to speakerphone.

I have Skype installed but never used it

spazo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Does sound highly strange....

... just to discount the obvious, are you making sure you're not covering the speaker at the bottom with your finger? As it's worth bearing in mind that there's only one speaker at the bottom of the phone - the other is a microphone.

Yea im pretty sure im not covering my bottow speaker.

Next time its happening, I try to take a video with my samsung camera. So if Apple dont trust me, I will have a proof of the issue

Another thing is I updated my firmware to the latest version 4.1 yesturday night and I will check if the issue happend again

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX

Wow, I didnt know that. Amazing how many answers can be found here.

Hmm

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2002
I've had this happen a few times on my 3GS since upgrading to 4.0. Usually after having some music or audio app running, like Slacker or Thumbjam. Most of the time, I would just go into the app and reselect speaker in the audio settings for the app and it would be fine. One time I remember needing to reboot the phone. Haven't had it happen in a while though.

engco83

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
Same issue with 3GS

Hi,
I apologize if this isn't the correct forum for this, but I am having a similar problem, and it's frustrating the crap out of me.

After about a day or so with no sound from the bottom speaker, and the ear speaker only working with phone calls, I now have all my sounds coming from the ear speaker.

Ipod, alarms, app noises/sounds etc are all playing at a (obviously) much lower volume through the ear speaker. Headphones are working correctly as well.

I've never had the skype app, and have not gotten any new apps in the last few weeks. Nor have I used anything new recently.

Phone is kept in an otterbox, and has not sustained any significant trauma. Bumps and shakes I'm sure, but nothing major sticks out in my memory.

iphone doesn't think that the headphones are plugged in when they aren't. No dust etc in the headphone jack.

Tried the normal restart, updated the OS, all to no avail.

IPhone 3GS, 32GB.v4.3.3

Anyone have any thoughts?

For what's worth, I promise I'm not a troll, Ha.

-ECE

thisisgrey

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
Exact same problem

That happened to me this week and I tried all possible solutions including all about Skype without any success at all. I also reinstall the OS and the problem persists.

rutujacreation

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
i have a iPhone 4 with Best sound on ear speaker. It is a High loud Volume and Sounds like a tin can.
I like it my I phone 4.

Amani77

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
I have THE SAME issue with my iPhone 4s. Anyone found a fix for this, or is it a hw problem?

Same issue here with an iPhone 4S I received yesterday. No sound from bottom speaker, everything comes out of the top speaker. Followed all the instructions from Apple's support homepage (restart, reset, restore) with no success. Called the apple support hotline and they are going to replace the handset. Will be without a phone for while though :(

LTMK

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
NY, NY
Hey,

I need your knowledge about iphone.

My new iphone 4 do something strange. Sometime my bottom speaker its not working and the sound come out from the ear speaker only !

The only way to fix it is to reboot the phone... It happened 3-4 times in 5 days.

Do you think I can get a new phone from apple ? Did any of you guys had this issue ?

Thx

Return it to apple store... should be covered

Buyrum1

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
I have the same problem..when I am at the lock screen, I double click the home button and right next to the iPod controls, a little icon is there where and option for sound comes up it says
"iPhone speaker" or "iPhone"
I switch it to speaker to get it back but it somehow always switches back and I don't know why or when or how to stop it from going back

juniper1102

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
Recently I was having the same problems with my iPhone 4S. It was pretty alarming considering I've had it for a while now and I have never had that problem before. I've been using the chrome app for the Internet because I like to get the Bing rewards points. I haven't had the problem before so I didn't think that it was the app. I found out that apparently Apple Did some reprogramming that requires the apps to be altered in order to play Sound correctly. I decided to check it out and sure enough videos and sound in the chrome app for the only ones that are coming out of that your speaker and everything else including you tube, Safari videos and iTunes sounds are all coming out of the main speaker. I hope this helps. I will just have to miss out on my Bing points until they update their chrome app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.