Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wikiboo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
Yesterday I locked my iPhone and it wouldn't wake up, I found here somwehere that if I hold home + lock button it would reset, and it worked.
It's working fine all day now, but I'm worried if it happens again.

But my question is, why did it happen?
Is it software (iOS crash) or hardware issue?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
But my question is, why did it happen?
Is it software (iOS crash) or hardware issue?
AFAIK, there's no way to determine.

If it continues to happen, the normal troubleshooting would have you do a restore on the phone, which reinstalls iOS. Then do a restore from your backup.

If it still happens, then restore the phone but do not restore from a backup (in case a setting/parameter in your backed up data is causing the problem).

If it still happens while you're running a clean copy of iOS, then is when you usually start looking into it being hardware related.

Wikiboo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
Well then, I just have to wait and see, today it didn't crash, but it sucks that it happened one week after I bought it...

I've googled about it, and there are many users that experienced the same thing, but can't find why it happened and that bugs me...

Wikiboo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
Hmm should I take it back to store and ask about it?
I can't decide because they will probably take iPhone and send it back one month later and tell there isn't a problem with it...

So I don't know if it's worth the trouble...

Maybe it was just a random crash

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Every make and model of smartphone I've owned over the last 10 years has locked up solid at some point, requiring taking the battery out to restart it. On the iPhone, you hold the home + power buttons since you can't take the battery out.

It happens.

Unless it happens frequently, I wouldn't worry about it.

Deirdre63

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2011
How do I change back to English after a toddler changed my language to Chinese? I went to settings then to 'International' (second from the bottom) but instead of the word LANGUAGE appearing, it is in CHINESE and the first word on that page says "VoiceOver" which I pushed, but does not take me to a list of alternative languages.

3GS dies completely at 40% battery left

I have a Iphone 3GS past warranty. I called Apple Support and they want to charge me a $29.00 fee for a 30 day assistance plan. I'm hoping I can save the money and have my question answered here. For over a week now, when my phone reaches 40% battery level (still in the white zone) it shuts off completely, each and every time. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wikiboo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
How do I change back to English after a toddler changed my language to Chinese? I went to settings then to 'International' (second from the bottom) but instead of the word LANGUAGE appearing, it is in CHINESE and the first word on that page says "VoiceOver" which I pushed, but does not take me to a list of alternative languages.

Hmm, try google translate, to translate word wngilsh to chinese and than pick the choice from your phone...

Regarding my problem, it's second day after "the incident", ant it's working fine...
Maybe it was just a one time glitch...
But worried if it happens again.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
One my iPhone, International is the third from the bottom, not second. Then Language is on the top of the next screen, and English on the top of the third.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.