Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zermelo

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2010
You're quite possibly breaking the law. And you're doing something not smart. His post was pretty good.

There are a lot of paranoid posts like this from people who have NEVER used this device.

PLEASE, PLEASE, besides your baseless speculation, point to a single INSTANCE of someone either getting into trouble by dialing 112 and hanging up within 2 seconds (and using the Gevey sim) or having their sim card banned.

If YOU are too scared to use it, then fine, but for those who understand what their doing your baseless speculation is worthless.

privileged2000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2008
MacBookPro, you give good advice but you are the only person I have ever seen suggest a normal number would work. I am pretty certain that is not the case.

I cannot find it now but I read a comment somewhere that explained, better than I am about to, that when you turn on your phone with the gevey sim you do not yet have a phone number; this is why the only number you can call is emergency, and they cannot call you back. Abusing the emergency number is certainly bad, but ideally you only do it once, and hang up after 2 seconds, before voice connect. Somehow in the process of connecting to the emergency number the card/phone acquires a network ID, then it becomes a properly working phone and you can call regular numbers.

[end to MacBrookPro]

Abuse emergency service = bad, but it is risk and guilt I can live with in comparison to the benefit of getting my phone working. You may feel differently but at least try to post useful, accurate information rather than vague statements like "you're doing something not smart."

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
There are a lot of paranoid posts like this from people who have NEVER used this device.

PLEASE, PLEASE, besides your baseless speculation, point to a single INSTANCE of someone either getting into trouble by dialing 112 and hanging up within 2 seconds (and using the Gevey sim) or having their sim card banned.

If YOU are too scared to use it, then fine, but for those who understand what their doing your baseless speculation is worthless.
I didn't suggest you'd get in to trouble. You probably won't. You SHOULD, but no, you most likely won't suffer any ills. Does that make it right to make fraudulent calls to 911? Of course not. Is one young person making a fraudulent call to 911 going to cause any real harm? I can't say. However, you're not the only person using this exploit now are you? The same logic applies to littering. One person doing it? Not a lot of direct harm.

Do it if you'd like, but don't pretend it's "right". It can't be justified, only rationalized.

ps: "scared"? Don't be absurd. Just a little less self centered perhaps.

Last edited:

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
MacBookPro, you give good advice but you are the only person I have ever seen suggest a normal number would work. I am pretty certain that is not the case.

I cannot find it now but I read a comment somewhere that explained, better than I am about to, that when you turn on your phone with the gevey sim you do not yet have a phone number; this is why the only number you can call is emergency, and they cannot call you back. Abusing the emergency number is certainly bad, but ideally you only do it once, and hang up after 2 seconds, before voice connect. Somehow in the process of connecting to the emergency number the card/phone acquires a network ID, then it becomes a properly working phone and you can call regular numbers.

[end to MacBrookPro]

Abuse emergency service = bad, but it is risk and guilt I can live with in comparison to the benefit of getting my phone working. You may feel differently but at least try to post useful, accurate information rather than vague statements like "you're doing something not smart."

Never failed for me, but eh, whatever you like.

A smarter solution for the skeptic/paranoid would be to buy a cheap unlocked Nokia, put your SIM in that, receive signal, make one call to any nubmer to confirm that it's working and put that card in the locked phone with the hypersim/unlock card.

That, too, has never failed for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.