Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Yeah but who uses CDMA? Talk about old tech.
I hope it's a 3G phone so it can make use of fast mobile internet in conjunction with a mobile version of the iTunes Store.
But forget about CDMA, I didn't think anyone but the farmers out in the scrub used CDMA and even they gave that up ages ago when satellite phones became cheap.

Umm... "3G" has standards that use CDMA (for example 3GSM uses W-CDMA and others even use CDMA to subdivide time slots in TDMA). Also CDMA is generally a newer concept then TDMA and one that became possible with the faster DSP we can do these days.

After a little digging it looks like your NextG is W-CDMA based... so again what was your point?

CDMA is a great technology (If you use GPS, you use CDMA tech), GSM (a form of TDMA) has advantages too. Those who blatently bash one or the other don't really know anything or they work for a cell company that uses one of them.

++

correct... folks should go look up CDMA and TDMA (even FDMA, SDMA, etc.)

These acronyms are used to describe how available bandwidth in a communication channel is shared by multiple simultaneous transmitters. They apply to cellular networks, satellite communication channels, terrestrial communication channels, etc.

Darrin Bell

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2003
Los Angeles
Proof that this is true

I know this rumor must be 100% true, because my wife's Cingular contract expires at the end of this month, she desperately needs a new phone, and I just bought her a brand new, engraved Nano. :(

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Ok, so it the price points are correct, this means that an iPhone will cost the same as an iPod nano of the same size. That doesn't sound right, which means Apple will have to either, 1- increase the space on the nano, or 2- lower the price on the nano. We all know apple will never lower the price, so this means there's an iPod nano update in the works too!

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
Sounds cool, wonder what will happen with the UK version though. I doubt I'll get one as they sound fairly expensive. Unless of course you can get it free with a contract.

I wouldn’t be too concerned, based on current exchange rates the phones would be priced at £125.85 and £226.94. That's hardly an expensive phone, so the networks will no doubt subsidise the costs of the handsets quite easily. To put some perspective on this; the low end phone is just slightly cheaper than a Nokia 6230i, and the higher end phone is circa the same price as a SonyEricsson K800i.

I'm basing the prices on what O2 are charged by the respective companies before they subsidise the costs of the handsets (former O2 employee).

This means the smaller capacity phone would fit into the higher end of the budget phone range market.

Jason

gcreedle

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2006
Strange coincedence

Good timing for Apple...just ruled that unlocking cellphones is legal, supporting the notion that the phone will be avaialble for all systems.

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
funny...

I love the contradictary statements right next to each other...

- Don't know anything about the Operating System
- The OS is supposed to be "cool"

lol

rxse7en

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
I know this rumor must be 100% true, because my wife's Cingular contract expires at the end of this month, she desperately needs a new phone, and I just bought her a brand new, engraved Nano. :(
Usually the case for me...BUT this time my contract coincides with a potential iphone release. I know a majority of the people out there like cell/pda combos, personally, I have had cells since they were first available--not a bag phone mind you--and have found that over the years my needs are pretty concrete now. I've found I only need the following capabilities:

1. phone
2. email (the ability to synch with the mac while I'm away would be pretty sweet)
3. hispeed, broadband modem capability
4. ebook reader (I'm a fan of the Symbian OS and all of it's available software)
5. a 3mp camera would be sweet
6. music player (I'l give my iPod to the wife)

I LOVE reading books on my phone. Totally addicted. I'm a voracious reader and the ability to read anywhere is fantastic. No more night lights, no longer do I lose my pages and no longer do I have to worry about my dog shredding my books--it's happened. My family is shocked when they see me holding a paperback nowadays--for those rare times I can't find a digital version of a novel I want to read.

B

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
Wow, if all those are true, it is going to be one expensive machine. I would consider getting one if I didn't already have a 5G iPod.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Anything that will end my pain of using Windows Mobile is welcomed.

But in the wider sense of schemes, this has the potential to be great. It essentially *is* OSX Mobile. Think about the range of thing you should be able to do on this player.

Sync with iTunes
Sync with Address Book (2 way sync unlike iPod)
Sync with iCal (2 way sync unlike iPod)
Sync with Mail (every mail on your phone)
Integration with Leopard's system wide To Do list
Sync with iPhoto (2 way sync if iPhone has a camera)
Browser (mobile Safari? Or Opera?)
iChat (a mobile IM client that syncs with your contacts)

Then if they had an easy platform for developers to build applications, then Apple are laughing. Imagine a mobile OmniOutliner... you could easily sync your .OO3 files to read on the go, and add to them with the keyboard before syncing back to your Mac.

The possibilities for this thing are huge for Mac owners if they get it right. Windows is a little bit harder, but iPod already has iTunes/Outlook sync so its on the right lines.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
I won't be ditching my iPod until these phones can hold at least 30 GB. I guess I have a few years to wait.

Trishul

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Sarasota, FL
even if it's unavailable to buy in Jan, pretty darn sure it will be announced much like the Shuffle was, and a month later we'll no doubt see countless "where's my iPhone?" threads. But another thing i'm sure will be announced this January is the true video iPod, and i'm wondering of the possibility of communication between the iPod and iPhone, and if there is an update of the nano too (built in comms with Nike+), the same with that. It seems as good a time as any for iPods to gain some form of wireless technology, every Mac sold has Wifi and Bluetooth, a proprietary signal/frequency (??) between Apple's portable products could be something possible right?

possible features. Driving with 6G iPod hardwired into car, you get a phone call, and the ipod automatically dims the volume and simultaenously displays Caller ID and info. Most likely feature, download song with iPhone and transfer to iPod. But if the iPhone has a regular headphone jack, and sound quality/battery life is on par with the nano, i cant see too many people carrying both an iPod and iPhone, only a small batch of gadget freaks will do that, the car being the most likely situation i'd imagine, so maybe wireless tech would be fairly pointless, or not?

tkn

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2003
Why bother then?

Hope this is all true!

All except the slide-out keyboard... what about just a phone? Never mind smartphone or PDA, what about normal consumers like me??

Then why do you need an Apple phone? Just buy a MotoFONE or some other random phone that works with iSync then. If you want music, maybe buy one of the Sony Walkman phones, although there are certainly plenty of other choices. There are plenty of phones for "normal" consumers out there, and if the only reason you want an Apple phone is that it might be "cool", then I am glad that they aren't catering to you.

The reason many people want an Apple phone is to get a complicated piece of hardware the is simple to operate. I want a 3G phone that I can video-iChat on, type e-mails, and take photos with (preferably GPS tagged photos)...

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
There's large gap between 4GB and 8GB ($249 -> $449), if previous rumors are to be believed... there will be a lowerend "just phone" and a higher end "smart phone"

arn

Well a smartphone with 8 GB Flash RAM carrying APPLE tag for 450$ = Unrealistically cheap. Maybe 500+. Nothing less.

Though I`d love if it`s true but I really doubt it`ll be priced so low. Whatever the price may be, I gotta start saving from today only.:)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I want the smart phone.

But even if these details are true (and you ignore ther question marks like touchscreen) it still seems likely that one model would come out before the other, as other rumors have said. 4GB in early 06, but I expect to wait for the higher version. Still, I hope they at least SHOW both.

And IF this is true, be patient: showing in January could mean shipping in April!

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
i was gonna get a nano for christmas but i think i am going to wait for the iPhone.

This all sounds good, good price compared with nano, just hope it comes out in UK.

zedwards

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
France
gullible!

A cellphone is not going to cost as much as an ipod. you guys are idiots if you think that. Most unsubidized premium phones cost like $700 at least. The razr was 500 with a 2 year contract and that phone is crap.

Also, there is a difference between predicting and actually knowing someting is going to happen. Anyone can predict that apple will sell an iphone this year. Woopdeedoo?

heyjp

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2003
Hey,

January is always the big announcement month... MacWorld et al. Apple's probably fully introducing the iTV in january, yes? Add an iPhone and maybe a Beatles iPod and an exclusive deal with the Beatles in iTunes (Ringo on stage with Steve) and you have a heck of a January.

The last thing they would do is intro an iTunes-centric phone the month before Xmas and NOT be able to deliver it. Would eat into their Xmas Nano sales.

Jim

rxse7en

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Then why do you need an Apple phone? Just buy a MotoFONE or some other random phone that works with iSync then. If you want music, maybe buy one of the Sony Walkman phones, although there are certainly plenty of other choices. There are plenty of phones for "normal" consumers out there, and if the only reason you want an Apple phone is that it might be "cool", then I am glad that they aren't catering to you.

The reason many people want an Apple phone is to get a complicated piece of hardware the is simple to operate. I want a 3G phone that I can video-iChat on, type e-mails, and take photos with (preferably GPS tagged photos)...
That's right! Forgot all about the iChat schtuff! Wi-fi enabled too so that you can tap all those free wi-fi spots for free chatting or skype-type capabilities. Slick. I guess they'll be video capability tied in with iTunes store and you can download and watch movies and tv episodes on the fly. Add in the ability to have massive HD storage and a lot of people wouldn't even consider an iPod anymore. This thing could really make the Zune look pretty silly.

Kinda weird for me to get excited about this "phone" as I never got excited about any iPod news. I have a 30gb iPod and find it very useful, but the potential of this iPhone is VERY exciting to me--or that could just be the painkillers starting to kick in.

B

Yonizzle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Durham, NC
I wonder how likely carrier subsidies are..

I hope I can get one of these at a store that also sells phone service. I got a contract subsidy for my SE K750i, even though no U.S. carriers "officially" had that phone, because I went to a store that sold it and T-Mobile service. The store gets money from T-Mo for every time they get a contract customer, so they'll subsidize any phone.

Problem is, I don't think the bigger electronics chains––the ones likely to be carrying Apple's phones--offer this kind of deal. I think they only subsidize carrier-branded phones. So I hope Apple is actually working out deals w/some carriers. I'll be eligible for a renewal subsidy soon, and I can probably get a damn sweet non-Apple phone for $250-$450...

sartinsauce

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
Los Angeles
A lot of you are missing the point...

You're complaining about your contracts. The idea here is that Apple would be releasing an unlocked phone. That means that you don't have to re-up with your provider to get the phone. It means thatt you would buy the iPhone and it would work with your existing service. Either you pop you SIM Card into the iPhone or you take it to your provider and they do some hocus pocus mumbo jumbo and your iPhone is now the active hardware on your account.

I've been wanting a phone designed by Apple for years, so I really want this to be true. Sad thing is, I'm most excited about what the iPhone might be called. As a name, I think "iPhone" is sucky. I mean, iPod was/is cool because of the "Pod" part. I never would have thought that "Pod" was going to suggest a music player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.