Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past few days, there have been a number of reports of next generation iPhone models appear in various inventories. Both Radio Shack and Cincinnati Bell websites have listed "iPhone 5" entries, fueling speculation that Apple might actually release a phone called "iPhone 5" at Tuesday's event.

We said in our breakdown of possible outcomes that we generally don't put too much faith in these inventory listings. The entries are believed to be placeholders based on the same rumors that we are all reading.

But here's a new finding via iPhone-Ticker.de that is slightly more interesting. German mobile carrier Vodafone.de is now listing new iPhones on their website that line up to circulating rumors quite nicely.

iphonevoda.jpg

In several of their accessory pages, Vodafone.de now lists several new iPhone models under compatibility requirements. The new models include (note weiß and schwarz translate to white and black):

- iPhone 4 Black (8GB)
- iPhone 4 White (8GB)
- iPhone 4S White (16GB, 32GB, 64GB)
- iPhone 4S Black (16GB, 32GB, 64GB)

This particular composited screenshot (above) comes from the iPhone 4 Bumper Vodafone shop page which claims compatibility with all these devices. But even the Elgato TV receiver lists the same models with no "iPhone 5" in sight.

While there's still a chance that these could represent best-guess placeholder entries, they line up nicely with our current expectations: a lower cost 8GB iPhone 4, and three iPhone 4S models. Additionally, Vodafone is an Apple partner and sells the iPhone 4 in Germany. Finally, we know Apple has also had inventory listings that line up with this same rough configurations.

Apple is hosting a media event on October 4th and is expected to announce the next iPhone.

Article Link: 'iPhone 4S' 16GB, 32GB, 64GB Listings at Vodafone Germany

Ubik1981

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2009
Sgp
oh no... this makes me worry that 'iphone 5' will be 'iphone 4S' ... just better specs and no major redesign :(

FNi

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
oh no... this makes me worry that 'iphone 5' will be 'iphone 4S' ... just better specs and no major redesign :(
Unless Apple has managed to pull off the biggest bluff the industry has ever seen, I think that's all but guaranteed.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
interesting, this seems to mean that they will be offering many models this time around, with 6 '4s' models and 2 '4' models.

The lower end has never had a colour choice before.

What are people's guesses over pricing at for the '4s'? Is it likely that the 64gb will hold the current 32gb price point, or will it be even more?

Also, I don't consider a move to an A5 a small spec 'bump', it is still a significant upgrade. An increase in screen size would also be unneccessary (for me), so am perfectly happy with much better specs in the iphone four case

Last edited:

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

FNi said:
Unless Apple has managed to pull off the biggest bluff the industry has ever seen, I think that's all but guaranteed.

My thoughts exactly

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
I really hope this isn't some lazy speed bumped iphone. Getting more and more disappointed.

Fingers crossed for Tuesday.

So are these supposed to be the "bigger" accessories that were reported earlier?

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I don't think anyone knows what the next iphone looks like, except for major people at apple. These carriers may have some basic info. They are guessing on the names base on rumor sites like macrumors. We'll know for sure tomorrow!;)

kevinkt

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Hawaii
I'm ready for the iPhone 4S!!! This represents a profound improvement over the iPhone 4!! I'll be one of the first to order!!! YAY~!

What the heck??? Profound improvements???? The only thing this article mentions is storage increase. For all u know it could have same ram and such. Oh and btw... It's not an iPhone 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
im Prepairing to do the "told you so" dance tomorrow.

i could be wrong, but ive been saying all year that a 4s is all that will happen this year, with a true 5 being next year, heck, im still waiting for the iPad 2s announcement this year.

but i think the "iPhone 5" wedge that has been circulating has a high probability of going to be a new iPod Touch desgin.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
What the heck??? Profound improvements???? The only thing this article mentions is storage increase. For all u know it could have same ram and such. Oh and btw... It's not an iPhone 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its the 5th iphone model produced, even if they call it the iPhone 4s so it is indeed an iPhone 5.

the other "profound inprovments" will be reduction in production costs that mean more profit for apple per unit sold.

charliecc

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
There are no instances when I think, oh my iPhone 4 is really slow, so they can take their 4S and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Looks like we'll be waiting until next Summer :(

pjhamill

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2010
I've been saying 4S along since I saw the N94 in April, originally I thought there would be an iPhone 5 alongside it but that is looking more unlikely by the day.

----------

I said this last week and got laughed at, lol.

Last edited:

crayonmuncha

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
just look on the german vodafone site, the bumpers page under accessories has been removed. looks like it's official :apple:IPHONE 4s:apple:

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009

They're more than capable of this.. whether or not they're doing it, I don't know... I'm losing mah hope :(

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
YAY! That means the illusive 128GB Touch is likely to be announced since the iPhone is getting 64GB

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Ha Haaaaaa!

I know that it's nothing to do with them and it has been us expecting a change after 16 months!

But seriously, is there a bomb shelter Tim Cook can run to when/after they've announced this.

P.S. Can you imagine the world media Q's to the Apple PR team at the after party... Kevlar body armor all round everybody! ha haaaaaaaaaaaa!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
seems likely it will be a 4s

question is why you all upgrade if the improves are A5 chip, better camera, more ram?

be interesting if the assistant touch will be available on the iphone 4.

jbee

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2004
Not impressed

I will surprised and disappointed if the new iPhone is simply a beefed up iPhone 4. When the 3GS came out it was a huge improvement over the outgoing model and was a turning point in many people finally adopting an iPhone. The iPhone 4 was a flawed device - a poor design, uncomfortable to hold, reception problems and a screen / back made of brittle glass that shattered too often.

Whilst updated internals are always welcome and iOS 5 is fantastic the lack of marrying that to an improved design is a poor show from Apple and I suspect many will not upgrade their iPhone 4 to a 4S.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Seems like for once Apple is struggling releasing iphones. No wonder they started sueing anyone popular in that market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.