iPhone 4S and Car Stereo Aux in

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulro, Oct 28, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Anyone else getting a sort of high pitched hissing when playing music on the iPhone 4S through a car stereo's aux in socket and 3.5mm jack ?

It's quite annoying, and I didn't have the issue with the iPhone 4 or previous other iPhones.

2. macrumors 68040

haruhiko

When I charge the phone and plug the 3.5mm audio cable to my phone there will be a high pitched hissing noise. If I don't charge my phone when I listen to music it's fine.

3. thread starter macrumors member

I'm getting the hissing without the phone being charged.

4. macrumors member

5. macrumors 6502a

6. macrumors 6502

Again there's a few topics on this now, and if you google it you will see other forums bringing it up.

It's a fault yes. It's not usual for Aux to be like this, not to this extent anyway.

None of my other devices do this, so I expect a fix from Apple soon, in their next update.

7. thread starter macrumors member

Yep, there needs to be a fix soon. And I don't see why I should be buying a different noise cancelling cable, when previous iPhones have worked fine. That's something Apple should be providing if neccessary.

8. macrumors 6502a

Oh sorry, I missed what you said about it was fine previously...

Some cars actually have a problem with the aux-in jack and need a ground loop isolator...especially if you use a charger the same time while connecting the aux in.

9. outwink, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

macrumors newbie

I have the same issue

I have the same issue. particularly,near the high volume(70%~100%)
    only iphone4s.

my previous phone, iphone4 has not the issue.

10. macrumors 6502

Where is the fix for this!? There seems to be tons of people having this problem.

11. macrumors member

12. macrumors newbie

I don't think a ground loop isolator is a solution.

13. TSX
    macrumors 68030

TSX

I think what your getting is interference from the antenna of the iPhone, I have the same thing. Try putting tape over the top of the iPhone by the head phone jack, so that the metal headphone plug doesn't come in contact with the iPhone antenna.

14. macrumors 68020

Rocko1

15. macrumors 601

Probably the headphone amp then. Try using line out from the dock connector instead.

16. macrumors member

With the 4S, Apple apparently switched from the previous (and great sounding!) Cirrus Logic audio codec, to a new Cirrus chip which uses less power. Along with it came some other issues.

Seriously, I compared the new 4S with my old 3GS in my BMW stereo, and the 4S sounds like junk. I'll probably return it and get a Galaxy Nexus. This is quality control that reminds me more of a startup chinese company making pens with built-in mp3-players, than the worlds leading and most praised smartphone and media player manufacturer...

17. macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I got a little hiss tonight after I bought a new aux in today. I get it when the music isn't playing. My previous aux in cable didn't have this issue, which also seemed to be a more heavy duty cord, which is sorta why I got a thinner one so it's more discreet when traveling up to the windshield dock of my car.

18. macrumors 603

saving107

I have the same issue with my iPod nano 6th generation, but never with any of my iPhones, iPod touch (4th generation), iPod nano 4th generation, iPod classic 7th generation, iPad 2 or iPod shuffle 4th generation.

I have exchanged my iPod nano 6th generation 4 times now (for different reasons) and the problem persist, not just with mine but with my friend's iPod nanos as well.

My point, I don't think it's an antenna issue but maybe Apple changed the headphone jack hardware from what they used to use in previous devices. Hopefully I'm wrong because I was considering an iPhone 4S but I use my phone as my car's media devic, I don't want that hissing noise.

I have 3 Aux cables and this issue (for me) only appears to affect my iPod nano.

19. TSX
    macrumors 68030

TSX

All my iPhones never had this problem until I got the 4 and 4S.

20. macrumors newbie

I'll second the recommendation above to use a line out dock instead of a simple cable from the headphone jack. I've been using a Kensington LiquidAux that in addition to charging the phone and providing a line out to my stereo's aux in also has a little remote so I can pause/play and skip forward or backward without having to pick up the phone.

21. macrumors member

I am getting a pretty loud static noise with my Belkin aux cable coming from the 4s. I had the same problem with my 3GS, just wasn't as loud, if I turned up the volume it would cancel it out. Any resolutions to this problem?

22. macrumors 6502a

digitard

Neither my 4 or 4S do it when plugged in by itself. Both do it if you charge it at the same time, though.

Setup: 2006 Scion xB through the standard AUX input in the car and stock stereo.

23. macrumors regular

If you're getting "noise" then it's probably either the cable you're using (most likely cause) or the aux in jack (check to make sure it's pushed in all the way.

If you don't get any kind of noise when using headphones or earbuds then it's NOT the iPhone.

24. macrumors demi-god

thatoneguy82

Volume is too loud. I had this before. Turn down the volume on either the iPhone, or if the input has a separate volume control from the car audio, change that also. That worked for me.

25. macrumors newbie

This noise problem occurs with my iPhone 4S 64Gb GSM under the following conditions:

• Using the iPhone 3.5mm headphone jack with a high quality and short stereo cable plugged into my car audio system. I have a standard Bose system in my 2010 Audi A4.
    • Disconnect the charger cable (the noise is reduced when the charger cable is applied to a Belkin car charger)
    • Playing with any audio app including apple's built in music player.
    • Most noticeable when the music is paused, since the music circuitry is still active (but does not occur when not paused and and not playing. i.e. all music circuitry off but the cable is still plugged in).
    • Volume is turned up to any level besides completely off.

The issue does not occur with my iPhone 4, nor did it occur with any previous iPhones (original, 3G, or 3Gs). It was not reproducible in the Apple store either, although the Genius I spoke to didn't hear how bad it was in my car. I tried it on other non-automotive stereo systems, and there is NO noticeable noise difference between my iPhone 4 and 4S, and the quality of the audio is acceptable. I don't think a replacement is going to fix it, but I would like to try while I still can.