Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I have had every iPhone since the 3G version and just now with the 4S I'm encountering some problems for music such as:

1. Smart playlists not syncing from iPhone to iTunes. My smart playlists are based on ratings (such as all 5 stars). If I rate a song 5 stars on my iPhone, it'll show up on my iPhone playlist, but not on iTunes.

2. If I rate a song on iTunes, it would appear on my iTunes smart playlist but not on my iPhone.

3. Artist not showing up on iPhone, but the album shows up on the album list. All naming conventions are correct and it's not a compilation.

4. Changing the artist name on iTunes does not show up in iPhone with the newly changed name.

Would love to know if anyone can help with these issues. I've set my iPhone to manual sync, have done that with all my previous iPhones with no problems.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Right-Click(or Option-Click) your iPhone in iTunes and select 'Transfer Purchases'. Let it complete.

Uncheck 'Manually Sync Music and Videos' in the Summary tab as well as 'Sync Music' under the Music tab.

Sync your iPhone and let it complete. Make sure all of your music and Videos disappear from your device.

Recheck your settings to what you want and then Sync again.

Should fix your issue.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Right-Click(or Option-Click) your iPhone in iTunes and select 'Transfer Purchases'. Let it complete.

Uncheck 'Manually Sync Music and Videos' in the Summary tab as well as 'Sync Music' under the Music tab.

Sync your iPhone and let it complete. Make sure all of your music and Videos disappear from your device.

Recheck your settings to what you want and then Sync again.

Should fix your issue.

Thanks. I'll try that tonight and report back!

NipplzMcGee

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
Having the same issues!

I received my phone Friday. (64gb) I activated it using
iCloud backup off my old 3GS. I had absolutely no problems until last night. I hooked it up to the laptop and synced it. I also downloaded some new music and videos off iTunes. Now it won't play some songs. Sometimes it will show one but be playing a completely different song that is a few spaces away.

This is very frustrating! Did you get it fixed??

NipplzMcGee

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
Solved!

I plugged my phone into my laptop and un-synced my music.
(the weird part is it only took off the songs I wasn't able to play...)
Then I manually added music. No more problems playing any song. A real pain in the butt but it's fixed.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Glad that you fixed it.

In the future if you want to completely erase all music and videos you can check "manually manage music and videos" under the summary tab when you select your iPhone in iTunes, then under the iPhone's pull-down in iTunes, select Music, then select all and hit delete. That will clear up all of the music on your device.

You can also achieve this directly on your iOS device running iOS 5. Go to Settings>General>Usage and then wait for your content to load. Select your Music usage when it shows up and then hit 'Edit', then select Delete. It will take several minutes to delete all of your content depending on how much you have stored to your phone, but it will eventually delete everything.

cherrykate

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2011
NY
iPhone 4S and iTunes

From iPhone 4s to iTunes, you need an iPhone transfer tool like imedia transfer for Mac.
From iTunes to iPhone 4s, you can directly sync your files in iTunes library. If not, update the device of iPhone 4s on your computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.