iPhone 4S cracked screen (Apple Limited Warranty/Verizon Asurion claim)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jumpmanpro97, Feb 13, 2013.

1. macrumors member

My 3 year old son accidentally cracked the screen on my iPhone. The phone is still under the limited warranty until May 30th, 2013. Will Apple replace my phone? Or they won't because it was damaged accidentally? My phone did have insurance through Verizon and Asurion. The deductible is $199 for a replacement. Will apple replace or repair the phone? I'm not sure which step I should take first. Goto Apple? or Goto Asurion?

Apple 4S 32gb

2. macrumors 603

blueroom

If you bought AppleCare+ when you purchased the iPhone then the fee is $99 (I think) for accidental damage and you can apply twice. Else the replacement cost is usually around half the value of the iPhone or $199.

Check with Verizon and Asurion as they may cover the damage via their insurance plan. Even your CC may offer coverage.

3. thread starter macrumors member

The phone was a gift, and they didn't purchase apple care + they thought the insurance would be enough. I started a claim with Asurion and they prompted me to a $199 deductible.

4. macrumors 603

blueroom

Apple charges $199 for a OoW replacement. Not sure what a $199 deductible from Asurion is good for? Ahh stolen / lost coverage.

5. macrumors 68020

Mlrollin91

Just take it to Apple then. They will give you a phone right on the spot and you are good to go. I've used Asurion in the past and the refurbs that they supply are horrible. At least at Apple its certified and you will then get a 90 day warranty on it.

6. macrumors 603

blueroom

This.

Plus ask about AppleCare+ for it, as kids will be kids.

7. thread starter macrumors member

so the 1 year limited warranty covers accidents like this? I will check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone.

8. macrumors 68040

Phil A.

No, it doesn't, but Apple offer out of warranty repair for the 4S at a fixed price of $199. This includes accidentally damaged devices (including water damage) and they swap it out for a refurbished device of the same spec

9. thread starter macrumors member

The warranty doesn't end until May2013

10. macrumors regular

Doesn't matter. It's an out of warranty replacement because accidental damage is not covered.

11. thread starter macrumors member

good news I went to the Apple store first to see what their solution was. He said the crack on the screen wasn't too bad and replaced my phone for FREE, since it was still under the 1 year warranty. I think the replacement phone was a refurb. It didn't come in the usual iPhone 4S box, but a different thinner box. Beats starting that Asurion claim and paying $199.00, the apple employee at the genius bar told me if the crack was worse I would have to pay that $199.00 fee.

THANK YOU APPLE!

12. macrumors 6502

That was nice of him.

13. thread starter macrumors member

thanks you were right!