Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The first GeekBench benchmarks for the iPhone 4S seem to be rolling in. At present, two iPhone4,1 (4S) benchmarks have been posted and seem, at first glance, to be legitimate.
4sbench.png

The listed specs show a dual core processor that resembles the results from from the iPad 2 which also shares an A5 processor. Free RAM appears to be in-line with what we believe (512MB) and the benchmarks line up with known devices.

The iPhone 4S receives a total Geekbench score of ~622. This falls slightly below the iPad 2 scores of 749, but well above the iPhone 4 benchmarks of 370. So, the new iPhone seems to benchmark about 68% faster than the iPhone 4, and about 17% slower than the iPad 2.

The iPhone 4S A5 processor is likely underclocked (800MHz) as compared to the iPad 2 processor (1 GHz), explaining the slightly lower performance.

The iPhone 4S is currently shipping to customers for delivery on October 14th, but it seems at least a few units are already in the wild.

Article Link: iPhone 4S Geekbench Benchmarks ~68% Faster than iPhone 4

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
It's crazy to think other OEM's are quoting 12-1500, but the iPhone is keeping up with them at 800. Did I miss something? Is the iPhone that efficient with the Hardware/Software package. If so, that is crazy.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
How about BrowserMark where iPhone 4S is ahead of Motorola Atrix at 81,000 and the iPad 2 is at 103,000?!

iOS 5 on a 3GS increased the score from 35,000 (4.2.3) to 41,000!

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If anything, I'm mainly buying this new iPhone for the new camera.
Nice to see that it's faster though (as expected).

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Apple engineers seem to be doing a great job with that ARM processor.

Can't wait to see it in a year .

Yeah, sadly though, this is the first iPhone I will be skipping.

*** EDIT ***

Wow ! 22 people marked me down ! Its like these Apple fanatics go crazy for no good reason.

Yeah ...thats right, I'm not getting this one. I'm going to hold out for the next one. Don't get you're panties in a bunch guys.

Jeeze !

Last edited:

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
iPhone vs android phones
Macbook Pro vs windows laptop
iMac vs desktops

sleek+style+deep hardware+software intergration vs tech savy omg speedy processors

get it?

this shows iPhone 4S can hold it's on against tech savy machines.... (and so does other Apple products)
I don't need the latest and greatest... I just want something that works.

And I think iPhone 4S (using sorta old tech), can last 1 more year until everyone's "oh I'm cravinggg" iPhone 5 comes out.

Siri + super phone camera justifies an upgrade for me.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
http://www.glbenchmark.com/compare....=Apple iPad 2&D3=Apple iPhone 4&D4=Apple iPad

In case anyone missed it, GLBenchmark 2.1 results are also live for the iPhone 4S. The main take home score are the Offscreen 720p results since they are 1280x720 output for all devices so they are directly comparable without worrying about different native resolutions. The A5 in the iPhone 4S is about 80% of the performance of the iPad 2, which falls in line with the 4/5 speed the Geekbench results show. And GLBenchmark 2.1 is showing a 6-7x speedup from the iPhone 4S vs the iPhone 4 so Apple is right on the mark there.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
More speed is always good, but I still just can't quite believe it took 16 months for this revision or that it required a change in release schedule from the normal July timeframe when the internals are pretty much near identical to the iPad 2 launching back in late March/April, which still ironically beats the newer device in GeekBench scores.

I know iOS 5 was a factor (or more-over Siri) but it didn't delay the iPad 2 launching with basically the same innards.

Tossing up whether to avail of my free carrier upgrade to the 4S when released, thereby extending my contract for another 18 months, or to come off contract and wait this revision out.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
More speed is always good, but I still just can't quite believe it took 16 months for this revision or that it required a change in release schedule from the normal July timeframe when the internals are pretty much near identical to the iPad 2 launching back in late March/April, which still ironically beats the newer device in GeekBench scores.

I know iOS 5 was a factor (or more-over Siri) but it didn't delay the iPad 2 launching with basically the same innards.

Tossing up whether to avail of my free carrier upgrade to the 4S when released, thereby extending my contract for another 18 months, or to come off contract and wait this revision out.

I honestly believe the release schedule was altered for two reasons. IOS5 was late in development, and it lines up perfectly with a holiday release next year of the iPhone 5/6 with LTE. Qualcomm has released 2012's chip release and Q2 the smaller more efficient LTE chip is going to be released, and my guess is Apple is toying with a few of em right now.

Judging by that sole fact, I am going to believe this October yearly release cycle is going to be the new standard, because it lines up perfectly with the holidays, and since they won't release the next phone without an LTE chip, and since Q2 is when they get it, they will be making a lot of phones by Q3

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I honestly believe the release schedule was altered for two reasons. IOS5 was late in development, and it lines up perfectly with a holiday release next year of the iPhone 5/6 with LTE. Qualcomm has released 2012's chip release and Q2 the smaller more efficient LTE chip is going to be released, and my guess is Apple is toying with a few of em right now.

Judging by that sole fact, I am going to believe this October yearly release cycle is going to be the new standard, because it lines up perfectly with the holidays, and since they won't release the next phone without an LTE chip, and since Q2 is when they get it, they will be making a lot of phones by Q3

I agree with you there. Also just to add, I think iOS betas will be released in June from now on as well. As far as iPads go, I wonder if Apple will stick to the March schedule or move them up to June.

----------

How about BrowserMark where iPhone 4S is ahead of Motorola Atrix at 81,000 and the iPad 2 is at 103,000?!

iOS 5 on a 3GS increased the score from 35,000 (4.2.3) to 41,000!

Don't forget the fact that the iPhone 4 running iOS 5 increased from 31,375 to 51,302 which is huge. I've posted the link below;

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._5_dramatically_boost_browsermark_scores.html

----------

If anything, I'm mainly buying this new iPhone for the new camera.
Nice to see that it's faster though (as expected).

Same boat as you. I'm super excited to try out the camera on the 4S.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

I think they did it so that their new cash cow got an update in time for the biggest sales quarter of the year.

It means they can dominate the press at the most important time of year the way the iPods used to. Imagine the news around Apple at Christmas if all they had were the current crop of iPods? None, there'd be nothing.

But, with a new iPhone? Apple at the front of everyone's minds. I think it was a brilliant move to hold it back till now. Fill up the front end of the year with iPads and new computers, middle of the year is the tease for new software, end of the year is new iPhones.

wingedturbo

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
716 MHz

Is it just me or does the post show 716MHz for proc clock speed... not 800. And I think the delay was in setting up/testing the iCloud. They're going to go from no usage to millions of users in a matter of months. Anyone running a 3gs or newer can be on the cloud... that's a lot of precipitation.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
I wonder how much the nexus prime will beat the iphone4s by. Im going to say 2.5x faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.