iPhone 4S: Only 1 speaker working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by earlycuyler, Oct 31, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I'm posting this mainly to ensure that I'm not either missing a setting or somehow testing using the wrong material before I take my phone back, but here goes:

I got my iPhone 4S about a week and a half ago. When I got it I noticed that alert sounds, etc. were only coming through one speaker. At the time I just figured that alert sounds must only use one speaker and I didn't really think much more about it.

I don't play a lot of music through my phone's speakers, but yesterday I was streaming a radio show through the phone. As I was listening I unhooked it from the headphones and picked the phone up. As I picked it up my finger covered one of the speakers and it was like hitting a mute button. So, obviously the other speaker wasn't working. I was hoping maybe it was just the source material somehow, but I tried it with several songs stored on the phone (both purchased from iTunes and ripped to iTunes), and still nothing from that speaker.

So, is there something else I can try? Am I missing something? If not, this guy is heading back to the store.

2. macrumors 65816

treyjustice

There is only one speaker. The other is a microphone. LOL

3. macrumors member

One is a speaker and the other is the microphone.

Nothing is wrong with the phone.

4. macrumors regular

iKIKO

the other one is the microphone :roll eyes: not speaker man

5. macrumors 68000

-tWv-

As posted above, one of the openings on the bottom of the phone houses a speaker, the other is a microphone for actually talking on the phone. If alerts and other sounds are coming out of the speaker then it is working properly.

6. macrumors 68020

I can't believe that after five iPhones, this question still comes up.

7. macrumors 603

8. macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Not everyone has had five iPhones. While this question has come up many times and been answered many times, meaning a simple search either in these forums or Google would net the answer, I can't believe people get ripped as much as they do for asking this. A kind, simple answer isn't that hard to provide.

9. macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

There are 2 speakers, but only 1 on the bottom of the phone. The other is on the front face near the top.

10. macrumors demi-god

11. macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's because it's the first question in the FAQ at the top of the page.

There are lots of other simple questions that people are happy to answer. Yeah, not everyone knows everything. This one is a little unique, though.

12. thread starter macrumors member

I read the FAQ a while back but I forgot it said that. I have no idea why that didn't click with me when I first noticed this issue. My bad. If any mods see this they can delete the thread.

13. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

That said it is a new iPhone. Things could have changed!

14. thread starter macrumors member

Like I said, I read the FAQ a long time ago, but it is hard to remember every single thing that is in it. I know I should have gone back to read it again before starting a thread, but I'm sure most people who aren't first time posters don't re-read the FAQ before posting.

So, I forgot that my phone only has one speaker. Thanks to those folks who kindly reminded me of that.

15. macrumors 603

It's also in the user manual in the first few pages under "iPhone at a glance"

16. macrumors regular

I can't believe people actually answer it. Boggles the mind. I mean come on, it doesn't take much common sense to figure it out.

Yes, support laziness and stupidity.

17. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

You mean the FAQ that says "The hardware of the iPhone will only operate with GSM networks"? Yeah, I can see why someone might think the information in there is out of date :rolleyes:

18. macrumors regular

19. macrumors 6502

Don't feel bad op I think it was a legit question. I thought the same thing when I first got my 3G. This forum is just full of trolls.

20. macrumors 603

Does look like that part could stand some updating; since it's a Wiki any of us can edit to update (which I did a little bit of just now)

The answer to the Speaker question remains correct.

21. macrumors 6502

Reminds me of when I used to own a Geo Metro, which had a 3 cylinder engine. Used to stop in repair shops and tell them that I was missing on 1 cylinder. Most mechanics would pop the hood and do a wtf. Best mileage and worst car I ever owned.

22. macrumors 68030

AndrewR23

Which is why you go to Apple support forums to get quick and mature replies.

23. macrumors regular

Lee Adama

not sure if this was covered, but there is only 1 speaker, the other is a mic for the phone.

:D

if in doubt, I always check the Apple site first and look for product info. If I can't find it between Google and Apple, as a last resort I'll come here and wait to get beat up. It's all part of the Macrumors charm!:D

24. macrumors 603

kas23

I'm pretty sure I have a defective speaker too.

25. macrumors member

not gonna lie i thought mine had a defective speaker too. glad i didn't try to return it.