Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

preorder.jpg

Apple today introduced the iPhone 4S, the company's next generation iPhone. The iPhone includes a number of improvements including an improved camera, A5 processor, faster graphics and support for the Siri intelligent assistant software.

The iPhone 4S will be available in the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the UK on Friday, October 14 and customers can pre-order their iPhone 4S beginning Friday, October 7. Apple support representatives are telling customers that pre-orders will begin online at 12:01 a.m Pacific (7:01 a.m. GMT).

iPhone 4S will roll out worldwide to 22 more countries by the end of October including Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Existing iPhone owners can check their upgrade eligibility using this tool.

Article Link: iPhone 4S Pre-Orders Start at 12:01 AM Pacific on Friday

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Will be ordering one at 12:01AM. My iPhone 3G is dying a slow death. Can't wait!:D

Cheddz

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
If I am using the upgrade of someone else on my family plan, can I still pre-order? Do I just need to provide the phone number of the upgrade-eligible line?

fenwah

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

3:01 AM? I better get to bed early Thursday night.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
Not going to be difficult to get. Most people who got iPhone 4 on or after launch aren't going to be eligible for an upgrade. I see a few 3G/S but not many.

I'm eligible Feb 25 2012. I have a few months to decide still.

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
wish this was iPhone 5 not iPhone 4S, as do many.. why wasn't this released back in July, guessing needed/wanted Siri, b/c only special feature this phone gets. iPhone 4 isn't slow and it's camera isn't bad, both get grades and not a great reason buy new phone. True Apple fan but this was a downgrade. Let's hope there is a iPhone 5 in July 2012. I don't feel like waiting another year for something I thought until recently we be news about today. I am still going to buy this because I off contract and opportunity cost of $250 for being off contract for a year is too great.

But honestly think S stands for seriously???:confused:
no-iphone-5.jpg

Last edited:

Mac American

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
Watch the video, when they show the A5 (at 2:01), its an Intel chip, or at least the architecture they used for the video. Its got a Nehalem with 8 cores and a huge L3 cache. Someone screwed up. 130W TDP its going to be a hot iPhone.

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
Rogers will almost certainly make upgrade exceptions for i4 owners, but I will be passing. $300 for a speed bump and a batter cammy? No thanks. Siri looks cool but I'm not about to pay the Beta Tax on it.

ios5 should be enough for me until a bigger screen device comes along. And if it doesn't....well, mangos are very tasty indeed.

----------

How long will the lines be this time?

I have a feeling it'll just be you.

smalltimewine

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
Not going to be difficult to get. Most people who got iPhone 4 on or after launch aren't going to be eligible for an upgrade. I see a few 3G/S but not many.

I'm eligible Feb 25 2012. I have a few months to decide still.

I've bought a phone at launch every year, and AT&T has always reset the clock to offer upgrade pricing. I haven't checked, but I'd expect nothing less, especially with two other networks options in the US.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Does anyone know if the pre-orders on the 7th are just for the countries getting it on the 14th or also the countries getting it on the 28th?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
wish this was iPhone 5 not iPhone 4S.. why wasn't this released back in July...

Not much is the same except the outside. It’s a whole new phone on the inside, so they couldn’t just flip a switch and release it. The hardware AND software had to be developed first. There’s no sign that either the 4S or iOS 5 were ready in July, and plenty of evidence that they weren’t. Since the iPhone 3G and iPhone 4 were outselling every competitor anyway, why would they want to rush something half-finished out the door, Android-style?

boomish

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Was it me or did the Apple exec's look noticeably nerverous during the keynote launch today?

Am afraid it didn't fill me with the same excitement as when Steve launches something new, I was waiting for the "just one more thing". The refinement of the iPhone 4s is kinda exciting and I suppose they won't rush out a product as they have to be careful not to release some thing thats not up to the Apple standard, but there is a sneaking suspicion the redesign is already to go and the 4s is just a stop gap to milk us for the holiday cash before releasing it in the new year.

I am surprised with this however as everyone I speak to lately seems to be getting the Samsung Galaxy..as as good as the 4s IOS 5 & Siri looks I don't think it's going to stop that trend. A lot of Sim free deals here in the UK means the iPhone 4s is really expensive still and I don't see the point in buying an iPhone 4 thats just £70 cheaper!

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Watch the video, when they show the A5 (at 2:01), its an Intel chip, or at least the architecture they used for the video. Its got a Nehalem with 8 cores and a huge L3 cache. Someone screwed up. 130W TDP its going to be a hot iPhone.

Introducing the new iLightSaber.

You didn't think they'd show the actual A5 die shot, did you?

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
This is gonna be my first time picking it up from a store. How does preordering work if you're gonna pick it up on 8:00 am

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.