iPhone 4S: Screen not as white

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by designaholic, Oct 14, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

designaholic

Just bagged a new 4S!

When sat side-by-side with an 18 month old iPhone 4 with the brightness on full, the 4S screen is slightly yellow (all over) and not as crisp white as the iPhone 4.

Anyone else noticing this?

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors 6502a

wasnt the yellow tinge a feature that ppl said was a problem when the 4 came out?? Mine was ok but some people said their screen was yellowish......maybe just cos its new? Give it a week and see what its like maybe. If still bad take it back!

4. macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

lol your the first yellow screen complainer. You for real or just trolling?

5. macrumors 65816

No. No. No. I hate it that Engadget ever ran that story. Color temperature DOES NOT change over time. You're talking about small yellow blotches that was caused by glue, that's something entirely different. But you remembered it wrong.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

designaholic

The 4S is without doubt more warm yellowish in terms of white point. Doesn't seem to be a glue issue.

I'd be interested to hear if others notice this, so do a side-by-side yourself and let me know!

----------

Exactly.

7. macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Any time any new apple product comes out we always get yellow screen threads.

Color temperature can vary from cool looking blue to a warm color. Normally you can't tell the difference till you put two different screens right next to each other.

8. thread starter macrumors regular

designaholic

Sure, personally I prefer the colder white point. I'm a designer - so naturally these things matter to me.

9. macrumors 6502

My 4S screen is whiter than my launch bought IP4. :)

10. macrumors 68000

I agree. But our eyes eventually white balance any difference once we start using the device for a extended period of time.

11. macrumors 68000

True. I reckon more people will see it with the white colour though.

12. ge0p, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

macrumors newbie

We went thru this yellow screen business with the ipad 2 a few months ago. Numerous threads and opinions all over the place. We have two ipad 2's. Mine has the yellowish screen, my wife's is cooler, more blueish looking. It was, i believe attributed to two different screen manufacturers. One would never notice without side by side comparison. Also, I think the one with the bluish color was more prone to light blleed than the yellowish one.
    We both love our ipads and honestly, I had totally forgotten about the "screen" fiasco untill just reminded while reading this thread.
    Ip4s out for delivery 5:52am. Yea!

13. macrumors 68040

The Californian

I am spot on up to speculation number five in this post. Let's prove me completely correct.

14. macrumors member

Damn, those were some good predictions

15. macrumors 6502a

I still have my iPhone 4 and the screen is much colder than my iPhone 4S. It's a matter of preference. I like the warmer screen - its easier on the eye - and actually seems to work better with the white phone.

16. macrumors 68040

The Californian

Thank you, Sir.

17. macrumors 68000

Haha, the screen must be made by Samsung, all their whites are an off yellow.

Seriously though, every year since the iPhone 3G there have been numerous complains about yellow screens. It's not new. Exchange if unhappy, rinse and repeat until happy.

18. macrumors 6502

And so, it begins.

19. macrumors 6502a

The This is my Next review said the screen actually looked a little bit greener. I don't know about that but it definitely looks more washed out.

Pic for comparison (top = ip4S)

[​IMG]

20. macrumors regular

Yes - I'm told the White ones have inferior screens - they saved the best screens for the black ones!!..

....joking aside - could the white bezel be affecting peoples reference point and skewing the eye somewhat?

21. macrumors regular

I had this when I switched to a white 4 when they came out. It is a lot more yellow, where my black IPhone 4 was blue. It took me two weeks to get used to it. At one point I thought about returning the white one, and going back to my good old black one that I had given to the wife. But then I got used to it, and now when I look at my wife's phone it looks washed out to me.

I think it has to do with what we "think it should look like". So for me my brain kept telling me there was something wrong. That would explain why now her screen bothers me.

Just my 2 cents.

22. macrumors newbie

Are all the 4S screens yellow tinted? I know with the IP4, some were blue, some were yellow. Have they fully switched to the yellow now?

23. macrumors 6502a

My guess is the newer screens are of lesser quality... probably cost less to produce and provide a touch worse visual experience.

Will it matter day to day? Of course not.

24. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's because white is for girls and everyone knows girls don't understand color.

A ridiculous reply for a ridiculous thread.

25. macrumors 6502a

Haha :D:D:D

On a side note, I am a man, with a wife, and chest hair and everything... proudly ordered white as I feel it's more contemporary looking than the black model.

Couldn't go wrong with either though.