iPhone 4S shuts off by itself

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Prissy, Oct 21, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

My iPhone 4S (AT&T) has been shutting off by itself like 3-4 times a day... Has anyone came across this problem?

2. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Nope, I would bring it back to Apple and have it replaced.
    Sounds like a hardware defect.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else?

4. macrumors regular

GooMan

Nope, I would bring it back to Apple and have it replaced.
    Sounds like a hardware defect.

5. macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Settings/General/Auto-Lock and change it to never lol.;)

6. macrumors newbie

4s

Im experiencing the same issue. After it turns off it gets put into " recovery mode" then im required to restore it every time.. Pretty annoying!

7. macrumors 68030

verwon

Go to Apple!

8. macrumors newbie

Funny thing is this my 2nd iphone 4s, first one had a speaker defect, (it was making a low buzzing noise) and now this.. :mad:

----------

Funny thing is this my 2nd iphone 4s, first one had a speaker defect, (it was making a low buzzing noise) and now this..

9. macrumors 68030

verwon

Unfortunate luck of the draw, happens to everyone sometimes. It sucks, but...

Hope your next one has no flaws.

10. macrumors newbie

i know its an unfortunate luck, oh well.. hopefully next time i get tomorrow is all good. thank you!

11. macrumors 68030

verwon

I once went through 4 phones, it was a PIA!

12. macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem. The phone turns off by it self. This has happened numerous times a day. In going to the Apple Store tom.

13. macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Go to Settings>General>Usage>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostics & Usage Data. If anything on that page has "panic" anywhere on the entry, your iPhone is experiencing kernel panics due to a hardware issue. The only fix for this is a replacement. No software update or restore will fix it.

14. Evolutioncsr, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

macrumors newbie

It is Settings>General>About>Diagnostics & Usage>Diagnostics & Usage Data. Thank you though. My phone was shut off today after being in my pocket for about 30 minutes I know for a fact I did not shut it off as I was using it frequently as calculator at work. Plus I never shut my phone off :)

I do have a panic.plist for todays date right around the time my phone was off :(

15. macrumors newbie

Thank you. I confirm that there were many kernel panics under diagnostics log. I went to the Apple Store today and was given a replacement. So far, the replacement has not shut off by itself.

16. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Finally someone listened:D

17. macrumors regular

I've encountered this shut off problem twice since getting my phone on the 14th. I've checked under the diagnostics. I don't have any panic kernel but I have a ton of "low memory" logs

What does that mean?

18. macrumors newbie

OMG Me Too

Finally found someone else with the same problem! I pre-ordered 4S and got it the day it came out and I have had problems ever since! Mine shuts down multiple times a day, I am convinced there would be uber-pissed iPhone 4s users if this happened to everyone, so I definitely need to go to Apple.

Since I couldn't find anyone else with this many comlpaints, I thought it was normal to have this many bugs in the first version of software...etc. Hopefully I don't have to live with this anymore....it's been so annoying!!!!

Also---many apps don't work and my camera doesn't take pics anymore.

19. macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Definitely check your diagnostics for kernel panics.

Also, this is not the first version of the software. It is the eighth.

20. macrumors newbie

Yes, I didn't know how to check them before....I did and there are globs of "panics". I am actually relieved to be nearing a resolution. HAHA--I was basically trying to say that I was too optimistic about my problems being tied to the fact that the phone was new...etc. Haha, I stand corrected, eighth version.

21. macrumors newbie

i've been posting my experiences with this issue here:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16556626#16556626

the short of it: one trip to the apple store where the genius advised me to wipe the phone to factory settings, then set up the phone as new and not from a backup... end result is that the shutdowns continue so i got on the phone with applecare today and a replacement is on the way.

hoping for better luck with the new hardware.

22. thread starter macrumors 6502

I really thought u were kidding... lol but yes I do see panics on the list. Will go to Apple tomorrow. By the way, I also see Low Memory on the list, does anyone know what that means?

23. macrumors newbie

iPhone 4s Shuts off by itself

My new iPhone 4s turned itself off one hour after I purchased it about a week ago, and since then it has turned itself off about twice daily (even when the battery was charged)!!!!!

24. macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Make sure to check your diagnostics page as well.

25. thread starter macrumors 6502

So i went to the Apple store today and they told me to restore my phone as a new one with iTune. I just did it.. Let's see if it works or not..