iPhone 4S - Sleep/Week Button Stuck

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Taylor-C, Apr 7, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Yesterday my Sleep/Wake Button stopped working after nothing had been done to the phone - like no dropping or juice spills or anything. I was just sitting on the train for 3 hours listening to music and when I got off the train it had stopped working...
    Has anybody else had a problem like this? If I go to an Apple Store will they be likely to be able to do anything?

Thanks,
    Taylor.

2. macrumors member

I had this same problem, but on my iphone 4. For me the button was able to be pushed flush with the device but would not register as a click and seemed very loose. After hours of frustration i finally came across this and was able to fix it. It works pretty good now. Not perfect, but a fix nonetheless. Also in the accessibility options under settings, turn on assistive touch, that allows you to still lock your phone even if your button is broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRt4Zjbx6n4

3. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Make an appointment for the apple store. They will replace it for you.

4. macrumors member

Definitely do this first. I was out of warranty which is why didnt want to take mine in to be fixed.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay guys, thanks for helping! I'll try and get an appointment at the Apple Store soon... But my nearest one is hours away... I'll update when I have been!

Oh! And thanks for reminding me about AssistiveTouch - so much easier now!

6. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

FWIW they are likely going to restore it to see if that fixes anything before a full swap, so you might as well start with that, before anything else. Might save you a trip.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi. Thanks for your tip! I don't think it's a software issue though as the button is physically stuck down!

8. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

Ah, very well. Guess I missed that. :eek:

9. thread starter macrumors 6502

Booked an appointment for Tuesday at 7:30pm (BST) - will update when I'm back!

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

For those who are wondering, I just got back from the Apple Store and was given a new phone! It's restoring as I type...

11. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

12. macrumors newbie

RMC Tech

Nice! Glad they fixed it up. That's normally a tricky thing. It's a whole wire assembly in some cases that needs to be replaced. They'd much rather just give you a refurbed or "new" phone.

13. macrumors newbie

Hey guys have a problem similar to this on my iPhone 4. When I lock it down, it's screen goes off and I have to press the buttons (Sleep/wake&home) to enter the Lockscreen. Is it a software issue or a hardware issue
    I'M NERVOUS!PLEASE HELP!

----------

PS:I have used Assisive Touch. It works perfect for locking it down,but not waking it up